Beta version of Brown Cafe front page

C

cheryl

I've been working on a front page redesign for those of you with newer IE or netscape browsers. Older browsers, such as netscape 4 and older versions, will still be sent to the existing page. If anyone would care to take a look at the new version I'm be curious how it works for you. I am specifically interested in the scrolling menu on the left side of the page. It is supposed to be compatible with most browsers but froze a couple of times in netscape while I was testing it. Other times it was fine...

All comments or suggestions are welcome.

R

robonono

Cheryl,

I just gave it a try. I like the overall appearance, but I had the following problem. I could not see all of the main menu on the left side of the page - I could only see as far down as "Work".

When I used the scroll bar on the right side of the page in order to move further down the page, I was briefly able to see the remainder on the left-side main munu, but then it too scrolled down, leaving the bottom portion of the main menu out of sight again.

Rob

P

pkg_commando

When the page is scrolled all the way down, the menu box follows and covers up the left side margin, making the paragragh "fine print" very difficult to read.

C

cheryl

robonono & pkg_commando,

Thanks for your input, several adjustments have been made to the layout of the page based upon your experiences. There is still a lot of fine tuning to do though...

I appreciate your taking the time to take a look at the new design. Please do not hesitate to make suggestions or let me know what is or is not working for you.

Cheryl
smooch.gif

P

pengwn

Forum conversations are still upsidedown. Don't understand it. We we were all taught to read from top to bottom. Try it, I think you'll like it.

B

bigshot

I like the updated design. It is similar to the original page with some high tech excitement with that sliding menu. One question: Can you make the tiny type larger?

C

cheryl

bigshot, thank you for the suggestion. I'll see what I can do to improve readability for you.

pengwn, The redesign is only of the front page. I haven't gotten to the rest of the site yet...

The way that the threads on this board flow was decided by a poll that we took last August.

The results of that poll were:
Should new messages be added to the top or bottom of a thread?

Top (existing set up) - 46%
Bottom - 34%
I don't care... - 20%

Since this topic has already come up a couple of times again this year I'm going to rerun the poll. The majority rules on this one.

C

cheryl

There's a new version of the boards page for those of you with newer browsers.

All comments welcome!

R

retired

Nice look, uniform with the new front page. I do have a big concern that the drop down menu of boards is confusing. The whole page kept scrolling until I figured out that you have to click on the page.

(Message edited by retired on March 31, 2003)

C

cheryl

retired,

You read my mind... I've been working on a second version that uses text links instead of the drop down menu.

It seems more user friendly...

Thank you for taking a look.

All comments are welcome!

B

brownshirt

the screen is too big, i can't see the whole thing without scrolling sideways

M

my2cents

Your screen resolution and/or monitor size are probably the culprit here brownshirt. I am able to view the beta pages just fine with my 17' monitor and a 1024 x 768 screen resolution.

R

rshoe4056

Chreyl,

Just visited your "beta" start page.
Looks great! No problems utilizing MSIE 6.0+

I would suggest one thing:
The links at near-top of page (Stock, News, People, etc) are "black on white", and when you move cursor over these links, I cannot read due to
the cange in color (looks almost white, which covers the letters).

I like the left-side ever-present links!

See ya!
Bob

C

cheryl

rshoe4056,

You're absolutely right about the hover color obliterating the text, I didn't notice that.

I'll change the hover color to something with more contrast.

Thank you!
cheers.gif

C

cheryl

I've changed the whole beta front page design around again to incorporate your suggestions about the previous version. The fonts are bigger, the navigation is on the top etc. Take a look and let me know what you think. This version should work with all IE & Netscape browsers version 5 and later.

Comments or suggestions? Either add yours to this thread or send me an email.

W

wkmac

Looks good Cheryl. Appreciate all that you do for us UPSers. You're A1 in my book.
thumbsup.gif

B

badhab1

Although Mac has been known for his extremely poor taste for years he is dead on the money this time. You are tops!!!!!!!!!!!

W

wkmac

At least I didn't say Heinz 57!

rofl.gif

I was wondering how long it would take some wanker from the peanut gallery to think food.
lol.gif

B

badhab1

Do something constructive for a change. Get 88 competitive. I hear that building is running so well that you're like the maytag repairman anyway so I know that you have plenty of time on your hands.

W

wkmac

Badhab,
You're not suggesting I work are you? I've got a reputation to maintain that I've worked long and hard for.
rofl.gif

OT Racing Comments:

As for the #88. All the pieces are there it's just personalities and chemistry that is the problem. Elliot Sadler is making nice strides so the equipment at RYR is there. Since Robert took a backseat and Doug took over I'm not sure if therein lies the problem or not. Literally Brad walked out the door of RYR and into the door of Jack Rousch and the #99 so I don't think he's not capable at all. My feeling is Robert who was the crew chief for the late Davey Allison probably can't stop being crew chief and become an owner and this may present problems. Every crew chief has their own setups and the Parrott's are known to be some of the best tire experts in racing. Father Buddy was matching production codes when no one even knew what they were. Now tire matching is as important as cam and gear selection.

Rumors are that Jimmy Makar, former Bobby Labonte's crew chief and Dale's crew chief when he raced for Joe Gibb, might be coming to the #88 but that's just rumor so far. Jimmy and Dale are not only very close personally but they are also related by marriage so this could factor in. Personally, if it would work, I'd like to see Andy Petree step in and reform the duo that launched the racing careers of both Dale and Andy when they raced a sportman car in the Hickory area. I know it's a pipedream.