Bible-Thumping Zealots On The BC

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Reagan gave them ample warning & time to think it over !! The air traffic controllers were gvt workers with a union & the knowledge when hired that they COULD NOT GO ON STIKE !!! its something all gvt workers know when they get the job !! Ted {great swimmer} Kennedy claims to be a "friend of labor" helped push through the de/regulation bill during the Carter years wich put thousands of teamsters out on the street & folded some great big companies....:angry:

I'm not sure I get your angle. Ronald Reagan hated unions and did everything he could to help bring them down. SatelliteDriver quotes Reagan in a reverent manner, and it seems ironic that a Reagan-lover would belong to a union at all.

Reagan used the air traffic controllers (PATCO) as an example of how he was going to deal with unions. Life for the unions went downhill rapidly thereafter. What's wrong with my history or the irony of a Reaganite belonging to a union? After all, wouldn't a God-loving, apple pie-eating Free Market American refuse to belong to a godless,Commie-loving, Leftist organization like the Teamsters?
All you've proven is that you know nothing about Satellite Driver. He may not even be a member of the teamsters, our employment doesn't require membership.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Reagan gave them ample warning & time to think it over !! The air traffic controllers were gvt workers with a union & the knowledge when hired that they COULD NOT GO ON STIKE !!! its something all gvt workers know when they get the job !! Ted {great swimmer} Kennedy claims to be a "friend of labor" helped push through the de/regulation bill during the Carter years wich put thousands of teamsters out on the street & folded some great big companies....:angry:

The PATCO strike was Reagan's staredown with the unions...which he won. This set the tone for the entire Reagan term, which was pro-big business and anti-labor. And you're right about deregulation putting union members out of work. My point was that it is, in fact, ironic that Satellite Driver seems to revere Reagan when he is most likely a Teamster himself. Ronald Reagan was not for the little guy.

wkmac

I'm not sure I get your angle. Ronald Reagan hated unions and did everything he could to help bring them down. SatelliteDriver quotes Reagan in a reverent manner, and it seems ironic that a Reagan-lover would belong to a union at all.

Reagan used the air traffic controllers (PATCO) as an example of how he was going to deal with unions. Life for the unions went downhill rapidly thereafter. What's wrong with my history or the irony of a Reaganite belonging to a union? After all, wouldn't a God-loving, apple pie-eating Free Market American refuse to belong to a godless,Commie-loving, Leftist organization like the Teamsters?

Fedex,

Go back and look at your original post #51 but then in my response in post #75 you'll notice in quoting #51 I highlighted in bold with emphasis meaning my response was to that specific point. Now here is the section I was responding and also my response.

It's ironic that someone who works for a unionized company as an hourly reveres an individual who did more than any other President to bring the unions down.

Don't know your historydo you?

OK, notice in my response that the 2 words your historyare in red and underlined? Place your cursor over these 2 words and buried is a link to a newspaper article from a longtime ago. The buried link is the reason I changed font colors to highlight the link. In the August 30th, 1984 Milwaukee Sentinel newspaper, there was an article entitled "Teamsters Endorse Reagan, Bush Denies Deal" and the jux of the article was that like in 1980' the IBT endorsed Reagan again for President and there were allogations a backroom deal was made as payoff which VP Bush was denying.

My comment of you not knowing union history had to do with that (and I stand by this statement) but if you did know the real history you might not be so quick to find it ironic that a Teamster would vote and or support Reagan when in fact in both the 1980' and 1984' elections, the IBT itself endorsed Reagan.

As for Reagan busting unions, well it makes for some pretty good myth because in truth the only union he did bust was PATCO which was gov't or quasi-gov't at the least. Most real damage done to unions took place in Congress who made international trade deals along with other factors that led many industries that were strong union to depart our shores and set up camp in other countries. Case in point is the steel industry.

But at the same time the unions themselves have been their own worst enemies by the hand of their own corruptions and wrong doing. Ironic is it not that the more entrenched to gov't the union got, the more corruption followed? Hmmmmm, a connection maybe?

satellitedriver

Maybe he's afraid to say. Besides, he likes me about as much as you do. Whatever I say, I can count on both of you to fervently disagree.
Afraid, of what?
Sorry for my slow response, since I have worked 18hrs overtime this week.
I do not dislike you, only the lack of knowledge that you spout.
This crap about me revering Reagan is a Prime example.
MrX
Maybe you should quit working for a
scab company working in direct competition against a union company and find a union job.
No, you are too afraid-(or unable)- to do that.
Please unionize
FedEx, and maybe Central States Pension Fund might be able to back up it's promises for another couple of years.