Bid coverage or a tough route?

TopsyKrets

$41.51
I took a route no one wanted and now I do less than 100 stops everyday. It used to be 130-150 stops. But when I was bringing it in every night at 10 o’clock they changed it. It’s heavy business with heavy pickups. They sweep my pickups everyday now and the ones that told me it was a mistake taking this route now wish they had it. So now I just thank the runners that ruined it. Ha.
Cool story bro. Mine is exactly the same. Took a heavy route over in march. No one wanted it. Now, it’s one of the best in the building and the coverage guys can’t wait to cover my vacation.

I disagree. The best customers are the ones that know your name and talk to you like a human being, not a package robot. The ones that give you gifts for Christmas or a cold water or Gatorade on a hot summer day. Lord knows we get enough indifference from ups management.
That's the reason why I haven't bid a new route

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Sounds best to just stay coverage from your aspect since you don’t want to run the same thing day after day. You’ll probably still cover that route from time to time.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Similar situation here, but I have a question I'm looking for some contract verbage to back it up...

I'm low seniority cover driver...but bid on the "worst" route in the center.
Question is...In the slow times of the year, no vacays, lower volume and the cover drivers ahead of me aren't driving, can they bump me off my bid route?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I just recently won the bid for vacation coverage, but there's a route up for bid that no one wants that I can run decently well. It's a ball-buster with a lot of business, crappy ORION, and some nasty pickups. I don't mind doing it for a week at a time here and there, but don't know if I want to do it every single day. I also don't want to let go of the routes I enjoy covering, but there are of course benefits to having your own route.

Anyone have thoughts or opinions?

1. Take the bid route
2. Get on 9.5 list
3. Throw on the brakes
Grieve it whenever you get the chance so they know you aren’t :censored2:ing around

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Similar situation here, but I have a question I'm looking for some contract verbage to back it up...

Question is...In the slow times of the year, no vacays, lower volume and the cover drivers ahead of me aren't driving, can they bump me off my bid route?

They can bump the jr man if it gets to you the answer is yes

ManInBrown

Where I am, no. And I doubt you can in any other locals. The route was up for anyone to take. You got it, it’s your route. The only exception being if another bid driver can prove a certain percentage of their work, went to your route. A cover driver bumping you off your bid route. No.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Where I am, no. And I doubt you can in any other locals. The route was up for anyone to take. You got it, it’s your route. The only exception being if another bid driver can prove a certain percentage of their work, went to your route. A cover driver bumping you off your bid route. No.
See that's what I'm thinking, but haven't been able to find any language in the contract to support that

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I do understand the seniority gives you the first right to work...so if there are no cover routes available, I could see that being the reason.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Could you point me in the direction as to where to find the language that guarantees you drive that route every day, even if higher seniority cover drivers are laid off?
66829285-8118-4133-991A-0CED172FCE03.jpeg

Zowert

If you enjoy cover driving but want a home too, especially during peak then look for training routes when they’re up for bid. Typically they’re kinda easy and you won’t be stuck on them all the time.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Take the bid route and get on the 9.5 list like @burrheadd said. I have a similar route that is heavy bussiness and pick ups as well as apartments and residential. The key is slowdown to a pace that works for you and the dispatch will come down slowly to what fits your pace. I always liked walking in 5 mins before start time knowing where I'm going and not worrying and getting to work 30 mins early trying to figure out the day.

reginald95

Having your own route is always better than not having one. You can leave your supplies in the truck, get to know your customers better, and just have a set routine you follow every day. Get on the 9.5 list and work at a steady pace.