Possibly being taken off my bid route

Brownguy33

I won a bid for a route a few weeks ago. Now I was told my union steward there might be a potential issue. There is a driver in my center that has higher seniority than me but was on vacation the entire time the route was up for bid. He also wants the route and said he would have bid on it if he knew it was up for bid. I was only able to take to my steward very briefly he said he would let me know as soon as he knows.
Has anyone ever actually seen a route being taken away for someone after it went through the bidding procedure?

Nah
I won a bid for a route a few weeks ago. Now I was told my union steward there might be a potential issue. There is a driver in my center that has higher seniority than me but was on vacation the entire time the route was up for bid. He also wants the route and said he would have bid on it if he knew it was up for bid. I was only able to take to my steward very briefly he said he would let me know as soon as he knows.
Has anyone ever actually seen a route being taken away for someone after it went through the bidding procedure?
Ask your BA. Where I came from they considered it the employee's responsibility to sign all the bids, so people who missed it because of vacation or whatever were out of luck. But they also posted bids and took them down on Wednesdays so the only way you'd miss the posting is if you took more than one week.

Brownwind

Sorry about that. Many routes are being merged based off the responses on this site. I would count it a win if you’re still working.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Ask your BA. Where I came from they considered it the employee's responsibility to sign all the bids, so people who missed it because of vacation or whatever were out of luck. But they also posted bids and took them down on Wednesdays so the only way you'd miss the posting is if you took more than one week.
I had to bid when I was on comp once. They will contact you when it’s your turn. I don’t know how you don’t know about it.

ManInBrown

The reason bids stay up for two weeks (at least where I am) is in case someone is on vacation. Vacation for two weeks IMO it’s on the driver to communicate with someone working if they are interested if any bids have been put up. Don’t see how it’s your problem this driver was on vacation. You snooze, you lose. It would never be rebid in the 177 or given to another driver who was on vacation but wants the bid, not a chance in hell.

over9five

Staff member
The reason bids stay up for two weeks (at least where I am) is in case someone is on vacation. Vacation for two weeks IMO it’s on the driver to communicate with someone working if they are interested if any bids have been put up. Don’t see how it’s your problem this driver was on vacation. You snooze, you lose.
Nope. You do not lose your seniority rights when you're on vacation.
And you most certainly do not have to keep track of what's going on at work while you're on vacation. Bump when you get back.

ManInBrown

And you most certainly do not have to keep track of what's going on at work while you're on vacation. Bump when you get back.
Never seen it happen here. I didnt say lose your seniority rights but that’s the reason they stay up for two weeks.

ManInBrown

Bumping implies a job was cancelled in the 177. When a job is cancelled the bumping process begins. I know there is different language in each local. How can this driver who was on vacation “bump” someone. Was his bid route cancelled? In my entire career at UPS, package and feeder I’ve never seen a situation where a driver wasn’t around when a job was put up for bid, came back and said wait I would’ve taken that bid. Could it have happened and since I’m not a steward I’m not aware of it? I guess.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I’m shocked management was so incompetent that they failed to contact the senior driver when he was on vacation

Unfortunately, it varies depending on regional supplements and local riders.

Here, feeder drivers bid annually. Pkg car drivers bid on the route.... and stay on it until they bid again.