Bid part time positions

Can they combo your job for a 22.4 position and make you sol on your current position?
Years ago when UPS started the Art 22.3 jobs, this happened to a lot of high seniority PT. Most either bid the new FT jobs or retired. Not sure what will happen with the 22.4 jobs as the contract says they will mostly be driving and only working PT on an exception basis. In the Central Region a FT must have more seniority to bump a PT out of their bid jobs. Means when Art 22.4 are not driving, they will be loading or unloading.

gorilla75jdw

At our Hub (White's Creek, Nashville Tennessee) , if you were to bid into a inside/inside 22.3 job , were as half your job said "load" the other half said "irregs" , you would not be able to come into the load portion of your job and automatically start "picking off" the belt as the (preferred position) , however once a pick off position is "vacated " you could then exercise your full time seniority , pending you are qualified ,and start picking off if you wanted to . Key argument to this is , your not bumping , the spot is vacated and you are the most senior, qualified employee .

brown_trousers

The problem is when a high seniority part timer has a bid job doing clerical work, hazmat responding, intl auditing, air driving, etc... then UPS decides to convert that work into a combo, thus displacing that person from their work.

I have always been of the opinion that teamsters should never take work from other teamsters. This should be written into the IBT constitution

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The problem is when a high seniority part timer has a bid job doing clerical work, hazmat responding, intl auditing, air driving, etc... then UPS decides to convert that work into a combo, thus displacing that person from their work.

I have always been of the opinion that teamsters should never take work from other teamsters. This should be written into the IBT constitution
I highly doubt they’ll take skilled work to make it combo with 22.4. The main goal of 22.4 is drive FT ground packages, it’s much easier to supplement the inside work as a loader/unloader/preload type jobs than ones that require specialized skills that are needed daily as well.

opie

I highly doubt they’ll take skilled work to make it combo with 22.4. The main goal of 22.4 is drive FT ground packages, it’s much easier to supplement the inside work as a loader/unloader/preload type jobs than ones that require specialized skills that are needed daily as well.
I agree. Even Taylor admitted 22.4s will be driving most if not all the time. They aren't really combo jobs. No language requiring a spilt shift/combo job. They will be moving ground all the time, because it will be cheaper. Having them work inside will be more costly. As a part timer can do the job for much less.

I agree. Even Taylor admitted 22.4s will be driving most if not all the time. They aren't really combo jobs. No language requiring a spilt shift/combo job. They will be moving ground all the time, because it will be cheaper. Having them work inside will be more costly. As a part timer can do the job for much less.
Yes and No. If you have the 22.4 drivers replace one part timer along with cutting drivers overtime, they will be. Ahead of the game. If the new starting rate is $13 an hour plus around another $20 an hour in benefits for a part time employee. Lots of people may have to worry about their jobs

brown_trousers

Yes and No. If you have the 22.4 drivers replace one part timer along with cutting drivers overtime, they will be. Ahead of the game. If the new starting rate is $13 an hour plus around another $20 an hour in benefits for a part time employee. Lots of people may have to worry about their jobs

We should never have negotiated for a higher part time starting wage. That was a dumb move. We should have left PT starting wage really low, but given them accelerated raises as they gain seniority.

We should never have negotiated for a higher part time starting wage. That was a dumb move. We should have left PT starting wage really low, but given them accelerated raises as they gain seniority.
UPS can't fill hundreds of PT jobs right now. Not with out paying a weekly bonus that often makes their hourly rate $15 to $20/hr.

brown_trousers

UPS can't fill hundreds of PT jobs right now. Not with out paying a weekly bonus that often makes their hourly rate $15 to $20/hr.
thats why we should not have used negotiating leverage for starting wages. we should have saved that leverage for bigger raises for existing part timers.

UPS would have to eventually raise starting wages on their own (non-contractual) to get people in the door. It would have been best to not waste any negotiating leverage on that issue.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
thats why we should not have used negotiating leverage for starting wages. we should have saved that leverage for bigger raises for existing part timers.

UPS would have to eventually raise starting wages on their own (non-contractual) to get people in the door. It would have been best to not waste any negotiating leverage on that issue.

Too bad you weren’t negotiating this contract

I’ve said the same thing all along

I really don't think they used too much leverage to negotiate a $13/hr starting wage.

brown_trousers

I really don't think they used too much leverage to negotiate a $13/hr starting wage.
They have some weird formula for calculating what a new contract is worth in dollars, they are always advertising it as though it is a baseline for negotiations. increasing starting pay for the part-timers, which is the largest group of UPSers, would be a significant portion of that calculation.

They have some weird formula for calculating what a new contract is worth in dollars, they are always advertising it as though it is a baseline for negotiations. increasing starting pay for the part-timers, which is the largest group of UPSers, would be a significant portion of that calculation.
Let us see how well UPS runs without all the PT in the large super hubs like Cach or Worldport.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

Gee, I seem to remember someone saying that way back in January!

specter208

This may be unrelated but would appreciate an answer. Is a higher seniority FT allowed to bump me as a PTer from my regularly scheduled job (skilled btw) if they are offered extra work on their day off?

WTFm8

This may be unrelated but would appreciate an answer. Is a higher seniority FT allowed to bump me as a PTer from my regularly scheduled job (skilled btw) if they are offered extra work on their day off?

... new contract says all positions are skilled now so forget that language.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
You talk about a play with words...You are all now skilled and paid the same, oops we mean that you are all now unskilled and paid the same? I believe that somewhere in this contract some members are going to lose that dollar increase associated with any future part time positions, another concession.