Biden asks Congress to avert railroad strike.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm confused. Could the Railway Labor Act be used to prevent a UPS strike or not?
Could OSHA be used to force workplace vaccines?

Could the CDC be used to force landlords to let people live in their homes without paying rent?

Do you really think the Biden administration cares about the legality of the things they do?

newfie

Could OSHA be used to force workplace vaccines?

Could the CDC be used to force landlords to let people live in their homes without paying rent?

Do you really think the Biden administration cares about the legality of the things they do?
good point. with the railway there is a clear line that ups has been fighting for decades. UPS always felt they and Fdx were the same yet fdx had different rules to operate by that gave them a competitive advantage.

newfie

Seems pretty good to me.
Focusing on reports like this is contrary to harvesting left wing votes though.
yep. and its one side of the picture.
i would love to see what they have now and where they are trying to get too.
How many total paid days off do they currently have and where are they trying to go.
at ups each supplement is different . some have a lot of sick days some a few.
do they have a vacation structure similar to ours where you max out at 6 weeks with 25 years of seniority.
if they are trying to go from 0 to 7 sick days then thats a huge jump for one contract.

even though I'm former management i agree with the union guys on this one. Congress should never force contract terms on a labor group. at the least they should have encouraged a cooling off period or at worst put both sides down to binding arbitration.

oldngray

nowhere special
cb120222.jpg

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
yep. and its one side of the picture.
i would love to see what they have now and where they are trying to get too.
How many total paid days off do they currently have and where are they trying to go.
at ups each supplement is different . some have a lot of sick days some a few.
do they have a vacation structure similar to ours where you max out at 6 weeks with 25 years of seniority.
if they are trying to go from 0 to 7 sick days then thats a huge jump for one contract.

even though I'm former management i agree with the union guys on this one. Congress should never force contract terms on a labor group. at the least they should have encouraged a cooling off period or at worst put both sides down to binding arbitration.
The Railroad Unemployment Act includes both sickness and unemployment provisions within it.
There are many Railroad unions, but the largest ones post their benefit info for all to see.
The BLET has "sick days", but not like most other industries/companies.
They are also not too great, IMO...
The workers also do not pay FICA taxes (7.5%), like we do.

Look at the 2nd "Read More"

Last edited:

What'dyabringmetoday???

the clinton administration still intervened behind closed doors.
Alexis herman the labor secretary sat in on the negotiations and one point threatened UPS with a flurry of regulatory actions if these negotiations didnt get settled.

not sure if they strong armed Carey at all but shortly after the strike they announced the investigation into his financial activities.

so while you are correct that legally the government can not force you back they have intervened in other ways in the one strike UPS had.

not sure if they would do so this time. the logistics networks present now have increased their ability to absorb ups volume this time where there was no way they could do so in 97.

amazon has been building a network and looking to compete with ups .
fdx has been faltering and would probably love to be able to cherry pick the highly profitable ups volume they would take.

personally I'm glad I'm gone. I think a strike would be a suicide pact with the competition UPS now faces. I hope I'm wrong I still have some fondness for the company i used to work for.
We miss you.