Bidroute newbie advice for a long ups carrier

Above10200

I am a newer driver 3.5/4 years in I am a qualified routed driver ( got in my center at the perfect time.) The first rule for ups is the contract is god learn it know it!
2. Support your union(there is no union without you.).
3. Till you qualify you are there bitch.
4. Till you get a route management knows you are there bitch.
5. As soon as you can get on the 9.5 list
6. Slow down. ( work at a pace you can do for 25 years.)
6. Take your breaks/lunch as dictated by your union.
7. Play the game! (It is all a game. Management, union, etc. The contract is the rules, neither side can change them.)
8. File grievances,when management breaks the rules.( You have to follow them too per your rep.)
9. KNOW YOUR CONTRACT.

Any other advice is welcome.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Put in your request for, and take, your 2 no OT days monthly.

Take as many paid days off as you can, to keep your body from breaking down: vacay, holiday, optional, sick.

Don't be afraid to take a few unpaid days off each year, for the same reason, so long as it's within the the absenteeism policy.

Set your sights on the long distance goal of retiring with your health intact. Don't sacrifice your health for the job.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
10. On Friday's, don't fill up the truck. Leave it empty cause' the regular driver is back from vacation.
11. Flag call tags, cause' who does them anyway?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
PCM is the perfect time to take a quick power nap in your truck. You'll wake up feeling refreshed and ready to grab the day by the balls.
Don't forget to put that extra 1 minute in approved meeting that the center "manager" goes over because we have to show that time being used for something....meanwhile I sit on the clock for an hour waiting to pull a load off the door....whatever

ibleedbrown

you don't have to be a paranoid wreck to do your job like a professional. follow the methods and drive like your sup is in the jump seat and you will be fine. always CYA.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I am a newer driver 3.5/4 years in I am a qualified routed driver ( got in my center at the perfect time.) The first rule for ups is the contract is god learn it know it!
2. Support your union(there is no union without you.).
3. Till you qualify you are there bitch.
4. Till you get a route management knows you are there bitch.
5. As soon as you can get on the 9.5 list
6. Slow down. ( work at a pace you can do for 25 years.)
6. Take your breaks/lunch as dictated by your union.
7. Play the game! (It is all a game. Management, union, etc. The contract is the rules, neither side can change them.)
8. File grievances,when management breaks the rules.( You have to follow them too per your rep.)
9. KNOW YOUR CONTRACT.

Any other advice is welcome.

8. When union employee breaks the rules. HAMMER THEM...cause you can.

That is advice for any new supervisors that may read this post..don't take the above list personal, its a game.

JackStraw

8. When union employee breaks the rules. HAMMER THEM...cause you can.

That is advice for any new supervisors that may read this post..don't take the above list personal, its a game.

9. This does not mean that you cannot break said rules as a double standard does apply.

Ghost in the Darkness

do the job like your sup is in the jump seat and there is a camera tracking your every move.

Some know-nothing sitting next to me that can't do even a fraction of what I do on a daily basis isn't going to motivate anyone.

If you have a question about anything, ask a senior driver who is respected.

Take your lunch during the day, this includes peak. We don't have to give UPS a discount, we all know it takes longer to deliver in the dark.

Last edited: