Birdwatching

browniehound

I know some people might find it odd for someone in their 30's to be interested in birds( its usually the hobby of retirees). I have been interested in backyard brids since I was 21.

I truly find these creatures facinating and could spend hours watching them at the feeder or the birdbath. I've identified at least 30 species in my backyard alone here in metro-Boston and many more in the woods by my house.

So, I post this message to see if anyone else is interested in birds. The most exciting thing I ever saw was a Red-Tailed hawk swooped down and grabbed a pigioen from my neihbors roof and proceded to eat it on my lawn. I was hooked ever since and consider myself a semi-expert when it comes to identification and behavior in the northeast. I look forward to any replies.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Youre not alone, bud, its my favorite thing to do.
We have several red tails, a falcon, and at least two bald eagles. And there is a weird bird Ive been seeing that I cannot recognize. Its mostly orange with brown, Im wondering if its an exotic that got loose? Bout the size of a robin. I have a blue jay, cardinal and robin nest, and the crows keep getting the eggs.

browniehound

tooner......oriole??

Tooner, I think it would be obvious if it was an oriole, so is it something different? I'm really curious if its an orange bird that is not an oriole!

Also Moreluck, I remember your avatar was a bird at one time. I believe it was a meadowlark, is that correct?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Brownie....I guess so, I just picked it out of the standard avatars provided by B.C. I thought it was pretty.

Sammie

I know some people might find it odd for someone in their 30's to be interested in birds( its usually the hobby of retirees). I have been interested in backyard brids since I was 21.

So, I post this message to see if anyone else is interested in birds. I look forward to any replies.

Funny you should start this topic. My home is over run by the little critters and I'm powerless to stop them. Heck, I spend almost as much feeding them as my own family!

I'm hooked, also. For Xmas or birthdays, I'd better be opening another bird bath or feeder!!

The homes in my neighborhood were built without doorbells so if you want one, you have to install your own. We did so, by cutting a small hole above our front door to install the wiring. This little opening and whatever's inside becomes home every year to a very busy little family, who scream at us whenever we attempt to use OUR front door. The nerve! So we go in thru an attached garage...

I see quite a variety and what I can identify are morning doves (I've got 4 pair and each pair are always together), finches, grackles (they're black with gorgeous dark, iridescent colored heads), magpies, bluejays and the occasional yellow hummingbird.

They've taken over the grape arbor and the grapes are gone before we get a chance. The same goes for the strawberry patches. We might get a handful of berries every season if we're lucky. But between the birds and the squirrels, I just love watching them. I left the back door open one morning and I apparently wasn't as quick as I should have been with providing the daily breakfast for my friends. I came downstairs to find a squirrel sitting on my dining room table, patiently waiting for his grub... :laugh:

moreluck

golden ticket member
My daughter raises cockatiels. She's in Hawaii, so she's able to keep them outside. The babies are so ugly, they're cute. She hand feeds them to get them used to human's touch. She also had some kind of finches for awhile too.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Never overlook the obvious. ........Thanks for the pics, I guess it is just an oriole of some kind, but one that hasnt roosted here in the 10 yrs Ive been here. Im going to try to get a pic when I see it again. Thanks all.

DS

Fenderbender
Name this bird.
512px-Tufted_Titmouse-27527-2.jpg

browniehound

Over9five's wife is right. Its a Tufted Titmouse (please excuse my lanquage). They are very common birds that visit feeders often. Nice picture by the way.

Channahon

My husband for years has subscribed to a magaznine called Birds and Bloom. Good information for bird and gardening enthusiasts.

We have 3 birdhouses, 4 feeders and 1 birdbath in our back yard. All the birdhouses are full with nests.

We also put our real Christmas tree in the yard in the winter, after the holiday, to provide some shelter for the birds in the winter, and this year a robin made a nest in the tree.

We have cardinals, blue jays, mourning doves, titmouse, yellow finches, red winged blackbirds, cedar wax wings, woodpeckers, starlings and orioles. And the red tail hawk who doesn't dine from the feeders, just small animals, I'm sure.

Although the red tail hawk did one day, perch himself on the birdbath. And he wasn't bathing himself either. I think he was taking a break.

browniehound

Chan,
I've never heard of Birds and bloom. I'll have to check it out.

Was your birdhouses selected to attract certain species of birds or did you by them from a garden store for ornamental purposes? I ask this because certain brids will only nest is certain boxes depending on the depth of the box, the width of the hole and the height at which its placed.

Its funny that you put you christmas tree in the yard. I read this tip back in '96 and found it works great as cover, especially for ground feeding birds. I never thought a robin would actually nest is one though! Pretty fascinating.

Channahon

Chan,
I've never heard of Birds and bloom. I'll have to check it out.

Was your birdhouses selected to attract certain species of birds or did you by them from a garden store for ornamental purposes? I ask this because certain brids will only nest is certain boxes depending on the depth of the box, the width of the hole and the height at which its placed.

Its funny that you put you christmas tree in the yard. I read this tip back in '96 and found it works great as cover, especially for ground feeding birds. I never thought a robin would actually nest is one though! Pretty fascinating.

The robin's nest was a surprise find when I finally decided to move the tree in April or May. I saved the nest and burned the tree in my fire pit.

Bought the birdhouses to be functional and have had them for a while. All three are currently occupied.

Would love to have one for bluebirds, although they like a prairie environment and our lot is wooded. Not sure I would have any luck attracting them.

Have given some thought to a purple martin condo, although I need to research a bit more.

Any advice or experience with bluebirds or purple martins?