Black Friday

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Anyone know if the southern supplement still has Black Friday as a holiday? I know some regions are just a regular work day. Still can’t get my Ba to give me a book!!!

badpal

Believe me , after spending a full day with a house full of family ,friends and loved ones, Many will consider the excuse to get away friday a blessing.

Upsermd

Does it say anywhere in the contract that Black Friday is a scheduled work day? I know they keep telling us that it is, but no one has been able to show me where it says we have to work.

over9five

Staff member
Does it say anywhere in the contract that Black Friday is a scheduled work day? I know they keep telling us that it is, but no one has been able to show me where it says we have to work.
They can have you work any day. The issue is how much they pay you to work it.

542thruNthru

3ArrowsPointingDown.gif

I'm not sure I can explain this so you'll understand, but here goes:
  • The contract lists the paid holidays. It doesn't say anything about 'NOT' working those days, just that you receive holiday pay (with other stipulations such as must work the day before and/or after). No changes were made to the contract.
  • What changed was UPS decided to run full operations that day (instead of only air pkgs).
  • Like any other workday, staffing should be planned in advance and you will be scheduled in accordance with your seniority.
  • If you are otherwise eligible for holiday pay (1 year of service for part timers), you get the holiday pay on top of pay for the hours you work (under some contract supplements at 1.5x or 2x your normal pay rate).
  • The exceptions are Locals 177 & 804. There contract explicitly says they can't be forced to work that day. Also, the Central region supplement says Labor day is 'NO WORK' day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your supplement should have a list of the holidays. Find the list and see if "Day After Thanksgiving" is there. If it is? Enjoy your day off. If it isn't? Enjoy your day at work.