M-FRIDAY driver seniority rights on Saturday delivery

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
I believe in consistency, seniority is king at the center I work at and “bumping” has been done for years here. So yes by design (until otherwise) I believe any of my coworkers that have been here longer than a junior driver and had done the crappy dump routes, should still be able to use their seniority to “bump” like it has always been done here. Like I stated in the OP I wanted to know how its is handled elsewhere. Not looking for a hot take.

I have been going in circles looking through that supplement for any language on this, so thank you. It’s a nice idea for there to be bid routes being set for T-S until management starts chopping routes up and spreading them out, like they do here M-T. We need for surepost to be eliminated and maybe that might help keep routes up.
Here they just default to seniority since there is no language in the southern specifically addressing that issue. The grievance that was supposed to stop it failed. And the explanation does make sense. If RPCDs were literally bumping them out of working Saturdays at all then that would be a legit complaint.

Brownwind

The senior employee already exercised their seniority to work their preferred schedule, now they are flexing it twice on the same junior employees in the pursuit of "extra work" on a sixth day?

Seems like double jeopardy to me and flat out selfish.
I appreciate your response. I don’t work Saturday except select December dates. Out here I think they only run air/international and select routes.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
On Saturdays there are no bid routes. Everyone is unassigned. But my center has quite a few routes that could easily be moved to Tuesday-Saturday because they are essentially like that already. The local (Our BA anyway) said hell no we're not bidding any routes like that. But there were quite a few people interested. I mean they are cut on Mondays and always in on Saturday so it would make sense. Sometimes the union's decisions are just as bad as the company's. 🤦‍♂️
Same thing here. My last route used to be a M-Friday and then after some odd years of Saturday delivery they started cutting it dispatching half of it on Saturday and then come Monday they spread it out to 3-4 routes. I again agree with you, since those routes on Saturday have the same footprint every time and are in every Saturday they should be up for a bid.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
In my building, delivery drivers that volunteer to work the preload are always loading package cars since that is where the need is. Work as directed or don't come in.
I heard a center manager once tell a disgruntled employee years ago that “every position in the pre-load is considered one job and to work accordingly or drop and application at McDonalds” hahahaha

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
You are looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear in the absence of contractual language to support it.

....and dubbing it a "hot take" when you don't get it.

Sorry I couldn't help you where others could.
Yes I am looking for relevant responses and not what a chain reaction looks like for blind drivers or whatever profound insight you had. Like that other dude, you have no frame of reference here. I just wanted to know how its handled elsewhere and or other parts of the southern region. If I see no language in the contract stating otherwise and our center has been operating based on seniority for years especially when it comes to bumping. I have seen them make up rules as they go and different rules for different people. im just looking for clarification. Im not the one volunteering on Saturday nor do I have any interest too. I honor seniority and the company needs to as well.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

The senior employee already exercised their seniority to work their preferred schedule, now they are flexing it twice on the same junior employees in the pursuit of "extra work" on a sixth day?

Seems like double jeopardy to me and flat out selfish.
Those affected don’t lose anything in regards to pay or daily guarantee. Seniority should rule regardless of “double jeopardy” nonsense. I could chose to move to Tuesday-Saturday and could/should potentially be bumped off a Saturday route by a higher seniority extra work Monday-Friday driver. And wouldn’t throw a fit about it. Either we have seniority or we don’t.

Those affected don’t lose anything in regards to pay or daily guarantee. Seniority should rule regardless of “double jeopardy” nonsense. I could chose to move to Tuesday-Saturday and could/should potentially be bumped off a Saturday route by a higher seniority extra work Monday-Friday driver. And wouldn’t throw a fit about it. Either we have seniority or we don’t.
If you are a Tuesday through Saturday driver
That is your scheduled work week and you cannot be bumped by a Monday through Friday driver because they want extra work

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That would NOT be a 6th day, or extra work under that scenario?

Apples and oranges.

Again, when all things are equal, seniority absolutely rules,....but in this Saturday/6th Day/ Extra Work scenario, all things are NOT equal.

Appvol

We had the opposite rule. Volunteers could not bump another from working, but if staffing needed them. Then building seniority prevails on routes.

A Saturday driver filled a grievance about this. Basically scheduled Saturday driver seniority trumps building seniority. We now operate this way until the grievance is resolved.
1st there is no such thing as a Volunteer. If they don’t have enough Tuesday thru Saturday drivers for Saturday my seniority gives me the right to work if they need Monday thru Friday drivers if I want to work. At my center Saturday routes aren’t bid routes. They are several Monday thru Friday routes combined to make a Saturday route.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

That would NOT be a 6th day, or extra work under that scenario?

Apples and oranges.

Again, when all things are equal, seniority absolutely rules,....but in this Saturday/6th Day/ Extra Work scenario, all things are NOT equal.
The Tue-Sat driver isn’t losing anything by being outbid for a route by a driver with more SENIORITY. They get over it and select another using their seniority. So says our BA/Local.

Either you believe in seniority. Or you don’t.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
1st there is no such thing as a Volunteer. If they don’t have enough Tuesday thru Saturday drivers for Saturday my seniority gives me the right to work if they need Monday thru Friday drivers if I want to work. At my center Saturday routes aren’t bid routes. They are several Monday thru Friday routes combined to make a Saturday route.
When you agree to work a Saturday as a Monday thru Friday driver, it is extra work you are "volunteering".

(Not Forced = Volunteer)

Sixth Punch Sense

So you are volunteering to work, got it

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The contract says SENIORITY shall prevail. Not “equality.” Grievances and temper tantrums be damned.
Are you sure?

Follow the thought process here.

1000012637.jpg

Appvol

When you agree to work a Saturday as a Monday thru Friday driver, it is extra work you are "volunteering".

(Not Forced = Volunteer)
Nope my seniority gives me the right to work before less seniority Monday thru Friday drivers work and I still have 9/5 protection on that 6th day.