Blackface or NOT

Have you worn Blackface or associated with someone who did?

• Total voters

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
He keeps showing up, like some slightly bemused and maniacal house guest, usually intending to get a laugh but instead taking America back into a wicked time warp. The man in blackface stands there, frozen. The photo of him starts to ricochet around our race-haunted land. The outcry begins anew.

Historian Dale Cockrell once noted that poor and working-class whites who felt “squeezed politically, economically, and socially from the top, but also from the bottom, invented minstrelsy” as a way of expressing the oppression that marked being members of the majority, but outside of the white norm. Minstrelsy, comedic performances of “blackness” by whites in exaggerated costumes and make-up, cannot be separated fully from the racial derision and stereotyping at its core. By distorting the features and culture of African Americans—including their looks, language, dance, deportment, and character—white Americans were able to codify whiteness across class and geopolitical lines as its antithesis.

Blackface - Sir Laurence Olivier.jpg

El Correcto

god is dead
I care more about the person’s intention of wearing black face than the blackface itself.

Like this.
upload_2019-2-7_20-3-17.jpeg

Was hilarious and a good movie. The black face wasn’t a racist kind, he wasn’t belittling black people or showing any hatred towards others for the color of their skin.

Meat

Historian Dale Cockrell once noted that poor and working-class whites who felt “squeezed politically, economically, and socially from the top, but also from the bottom, invented minstrelsy” as a way of expressing the oppression that marked being members of the majority, but outside of the white norm.

I’m not sure that this assertion is correct for two reasons. 1) In my experience, working-class drones rarely have the imaginative capacity to create anything. In fact, they seem outright hostile towards those that create. 2) Minstrel entertainment created the template of organized show business in American (i.e. the commercialization and exploitation of black culture for white America - think Elvis, M. Jagger, and that rapper that said he wanted to :censored2: his mom). Again, you really think some working feeb would have the capacity to create an entire industry?

vantexan

I’m not sure that this assertion is correct for two reasons. 1) In my experience, working-class drones rarely have the imaginative capacity to create anything. In fact, they seem outright hostile towards those that create. 2) Minstrel entertainment created the template of organized show business in American (i.e. the commercialization and exploitation of black culture for white America - think Elvis, M. Jagger, and that rapper that said he wanted to :censored2: his mom). Again, you really think some working feeb would have the capacity to create an entire industry?
Troll alert.

rod

Retired 22 years
I used black face in the Army for camouflage training. I suppose there goes my chances for being elected President. And I was going to be for a wall, a moat, an electric fence and a no mans zone full of land mines along both borders

moreluck

golden ticket member
Blackface and other stuff is a part of our history.....Al Jolson, Amos & Andy even Ted Danson. It's all history, we mostly know better now.
Get over it people. Some of us did assinine stuff and have matured since.

We probably all shoplifted from the candy store too......I had to return an item and apologize to the store owner...that was humiliating!! I never forgot it. I don't need to turn myself in to the police now because of something that happened 60 years ago!!

Move on!!