Blood pressure

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dunno, mine was 114/78 last stress test, 130/90 last dot after working in 90 degrees all day at 8pm at night, is that bad???

area43

I dunno, mine was 114/78 last stress test, 130/90 last dot after working in 90 degrees all day at 8pm at night, is that bad???

Tooner, 130/90 is a little high, but no need for alarm, just have some relaxing activities to bring it down, tv watching not one of them lol ps 114/78 is goood. I prefer not using the meds, if possible.

Last edited:

trickpony1

Tooner-
My BP is usually 110-113 over something in real life.
When I go to the "doc in the box" it is mysteriously always 132 over something.
I don't think you need to worry about anything but I could be wrong.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have "white coat syndrome". I'll have very normal readings all the time at home or at the machines in the stores........as soon as I'm in the doctor's office, it shoots up. Even the nurse will get normal readings from me, but if the doctor takes my pressure too, it's high.

And no, he's not a McDreamy or McSteamy....he's an old skinny guy.

helenofcalifornia

I wish I felt like walking or "exercising" after work, but I am too beat. But, if you "exercise" regularly then you will have more energy. Is our work considered "exercise," or just work? I think watching the Weather Channel will lower your blood pressure. Stay away from FOX, some sort of disaster is always about to befall us, and usually caused by Democrats or Hillary or Bill.

diesel96

A number of environmental factors have been implicated in the development of hypertension, including salt intake, obesity, occupation, alcohol intake, smoking, family size, stimulant intake, excessive noise exposure,[3] and crowding

Sodium is the environmental factor that has received the greatest attention. It is to be noted that approximately 60% of the essential hypertension population is responsive to sodium intake[citation needed].

Sleep apnea is a common, under recognized cause of hypertension.

Heredity is the transfer of characteristics from parent to offspring through their genes.

browniehound

All 4 of my grandparents died of heart attacks in their late 70's-early 80's, so I guess there is a strong possibilty that could be my fate.

I don't have a problem with that. Dying of a massive heart attack is a good way to go in my opinion.

satellitedriver

DOT testing soon any advice to lower blood pressure is appreciated.
I read studies in college that showed one could lower their BP by telling oneself to relax and think of a pleasant place that you enjoy. BP can be lowered 20% this way. The same reason one has "white coat syndrome" is because they are worrying their BP will be high.
Being dehydrated also lowers BP.
In my case I think it is genetic. I am 54 yrs old, a heavy smoker, a heavy beer drinker and eat red meat 3 times a day with more salt added to one bite than most people use in an entire meal. My BP is always in the normal range.

wornoutupser

Hey Tooner,

130/90 will flunk you in Florida. How did you pass? anything over 80 flunks you down here and it seems to be a racket with UPS and the doctors.

We have a clinic here that everyone quit using because all drivers suddenly had high blood pressure and had to go back three times. Miracuously, you passed on the third visit! We all use another place now.
The down side is that you have to go yearly after that. At least UPS has to lay out more money for that!

aspenleaf

It also helps if you keep still while having your blood pressure taken. If you pump your arm you can get a higher reading. Also if the cuff is too small you will get a higher reading. You need 3 readings to confirm that you are hypertensive. The machines and humans are not always right. (Those 3 readings are to be done on different days – so don’t let them do them all 3 in a row.) You can also get a higher reading if they just inflated the cuff but the machine didn’t work and then they try again; they need to let you rest for a few minutes before trying again or you will get a false high reading.

• Don't use caffeine, alcohol, or tobacco products 30 minutes before measuring your blood pressure.
  • Go to the bathroom before measuring your blood pressure.
  • Rest for 3 to 5 minutes before measuring your blood pressure. Do not talk.
  • Sit in a comfortable position, with your legs and ankles uncrossed and your back supported.
  • Place your arm, raised to the level of your heart, on a table or a desk, and sit still.
  • Wrap the correctly sized cuff smoothly and snugly around the upper part of your bare arm. The cuff should fit snugly, but there should be enough room for you to slip one fingertip under the cuff.
  • Be certain that the bottom edge of the cuff is 1 inch above the crease of your elbow.

JustTired

free at last.......
The main thing is, if your blood pressure is high, do something about it. Whether it's dietary or medication.

I really didn't know I felt bad until I started taking something for mine. Man...what a difference.

I wonder what UPS pays out for BP medications nationwide, yearly. Seems like everyone I know takes something for it.

Pip

Hey Tooner,

130/90 will flunk you in Florida. How did you pass? anything over 80 flunks you down here and it seems to be a racket with UPS and the doctors.

We have a clinic here that everyone quit using because all drivers suddenly had high blood pressure and had to go back three times. Miracuously, you passed on the third visit! We all use another place now.
The down side is that you have to go yearly after that. At least UPS has to lay out more money for that!

Just a followup to what wornoutupser stated. Here is the DOT regulation concerning high blood pressure copied from the FMCSA website, 391.41(b)(5) :

A person is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle if that person:
Has no current clinical diagnosis of high blood pressure likely to interfere with the ability to operate a commercial motor vehicle safely.
Hypertension alone is unlikely to cause sudden collapse; however, the likelihood increases when target organ damage, particularly cerebral vascular disease is present. This advisory criteria is based on FMCSA's Cardiovascular Advisory Guidelines for the Examination of CMV Drivers, which used the Sixth Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (1997).
Stage 1 hypertension corresponds to a systolic BP of 140-159 mmHg and/or a diastolic BP of 90-99 mmHg. The driver with a BP in this range is at low risk for hypertension-related acute incapacitation and may be medically certified to drive for a one-year period. Certification examinations should be done annually thereafter and should be less than 140/90. If less than 160/100, certification may be extended one time for three months.
A blood pressure of 160-179 systolic and/or 100-109 diastolic is considered Stage 2 hypertension, and the driver is not necessarily unqualified during evaluation and institution of treatment. The driver is given a one time certification of three months to reduce his or her blood pressure to less than 140/90. A blood pressure in this range is an absolute indication for antihypertensive drug therapy. Provided treatment is well tolerated and the driver demonstrates a BP value of less than 140/90, he or she may be certified for one year from the date of the initial exam. The driver is certified annually thereafter.
A blood pressure at or greater than 180 (systolic) and 110 (diastolic) is considered Stage 3, high risk for an acute BP-related event. The driver may not be qualified, even temporarily, until reduced to less than 140/90 and treatment is well tolerated. The driver may be certified for 6 months and biannually (every 6 months) thereafter if at recheck BP is less than 140/90.
Annual recertification is recommended if the medical examiner does not know the severity of hypertension prior to treatment.
An elevated blood pressure finding should be confirmed by at least two subsequent measurements on different days.
Treatment includes non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic modalities as well as counseling to reduce other risk factors. Most antihypertensive medications also have side effects, the importance of which must be judged on an individual basis. Individuals must be alerted to the hazards of these medications while driving. Side effects of somnolence or syncope are particularly undesirable in commercial drivers.
Secondary hypertension is based on the above stages.

140-159/90-99 Stage 1
1 year 1 year if <140/90.
One-time certificate for 3 months if 140-159/90-99.

160-179/100-109
Stage 2
One-time certificate for 3 months.
1 year from date of exam if <140/90.

≥ 180/110
Stage 3
Disqualified
6 months from date of exam if <140/90, then every 6 months if <140/90.

Hope this helps clarify DOT requirements for CDL.

Last edited:

diadlover

"When we laugh, natural killer cells which destroy tumours and viruses increase, along with Gamma-interferon (a disease-fighting protein), T-cells (important for our immune system) and B-cells (which make disease-fighting antibodies). As well as lowering blood pressure, laughter increases oxygen in the blood, which also encourages healing."

-"Science of Laughter" Discovery Health Website

Laughter: the best invention since slavery.

JustTired

free at last.......
"When we laugh, natural killer cells which destroy tumours and viruses increase, along with Gamma-interferon (a disease-fighting protein), T-cells (important for our immune system) and B-cells (which make disease-fighting antibodies). As well as lowering blood pressure, laughter increases oxygen in the blood, which also encourages healing."

Remember that when you're laughing all the way to the bank.

And the next time you can't help but laugh in your managers face....pull a copy of that out of your wallet(purse) and hand it to them. Tell them you're just trying to stay healthy.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think they took another one and it was lower, it usually runs 114 /78, but I ran to get there by 8pm, and I was totally stressed trying to get there on time, I immediately went in and that is the first thing I did. It s fine, I hate those physicals, so bogus in what they ask us to do. I also have white coat fever, Dont like docs, dont go unless Im dying. And this is the same clinic I used when I got poisoned by a cracked manifold on a truck I drove for days when I was to stupid to just say no, so I dont have much faith in anything they say, except when they say Im ok for 2 more yrs. When it aint fine you will read about it on here, Maybe.

satellitedriver

You are so right Diad. It only takes 14 facial muscle to smile and over 20 to frown. So, everybody save your energy and laugh.