Boat talk

Questions, ideas about boats. Your boat, a boat you maybe thinking about acquiring. Fishing trips, (crabbing, clamming) or just a vacation story on a boat.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm more of a cruise ship guy, but occasionally I daydream about buying something like this, right after I win the lottery.

One year we were on vacation up north. We anchored in a small cove tied up to to a friends boat. At about 6 am we heard a thud. We were aground on a large rock leaning against the boat we were tied to. Luckily this cove had a rule that you had to tie to a tree while anchored. my dads buddy was freaking out, so my dad got a brush and a bucket of soap and water and started scrubbing the bottom. meanwhile his buddy was sweating it out until high tide.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Not much for fishing, but we have a canoe & a couple cheap kayaks. Gone clamming a couple times. It's a lot of work but fun. I enjoy doing that & making steamed clams for the family.

gingerkat

I just have a small Bayliner ski boat. It's not the fastest, but has enough power to pull up a large man. I can take it year round to Lake Mead or the Colorado River, but it's not the best weather, so I wait until it's ten million degrees in the summer- lol.

Brown stains

Up here in New England ..conn state
It's so cold the ocean bays are frozen
In....I got the boat in August ....16 ft allumacraft used it for fishing and duck hunting had it in the ocean up till January 20th was able to get it out
On a warm week end with high winds
Pushed the ice out seawards ...can't wait to go clamming looking at Sunday if the water is open I'm going
Spring is on it's way

gingerkat

Never too late for a boat. I never really enjoyed it (it was my husbands obsession), but after some time it was kind of fun. The thing is, people start to bother you about taking it out all the time.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I got two and a jetski ! We have a 1991 Freedom For winds 140 Mercruiser that runs like a charm, and I have an aluminum V hull row boar with a 6horse Merc for the kids and to fish! And a 2003 Honda jetski....put em all in in May,parked in front of my camp till Oct..

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I got two and a jetski ! We have a 1991 Freedom For winds 140 Mercruiser that runs like a charm, and I have an aluminum V hull row boar with a 6horse Merc for the kids and to fish! And a 2003 Honda jetski....put em all in in May,parked in front of my camp till Oct..
Only 3?? That's just a starter kit in Maine!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Never too late for a boat. I never really enjoyed it (it was my husbands obsession), but after some time it was kind of fun. The thing is, people start to bother you about taking it out all the time.

When I was married we had a 16' x 32' inground pool at our house. The pool was never really my thing but the kids and her really liked it and, much like your husband's boat, we seemed to get a lot of new friends once they found out we had a pool.

gingerkat

We still share custody of the boat, but he doesn't trust me enough to put it in the water on my own…probably a smart thing.

People love to go for a ride, but hate when it's clean up time

Boats are money pits. I rent one when I need one

B.O.A.T. stands for,

Bring On Another Thousand

Sent using BrownCafe App
True, buying the boat is usually the cheapest part. You got fuel (with twin 454 mercruisers you can easily burn 20-30 gallons per hour. Twin screws can be double trouble.) registration, insurance, moorage, plus maintainence. Not to mention if you happen to hit a dead head (log, not a greatful dead fan.). Then you'll have diver or haul out fees, dry dock fees, you may need new props, or rebalancing the old ones. But, you know what? As far as I know, you only live once.