Boots for drivers

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Okay everyone I need your help. What boots do you recommend for a UPS package car driver. My husband somehow tears his boots up all the time. I am coming to you all for help. I want to get him a nice pair of boots that will hopefully last and are comfortable on his feet. A lot of guys in his hub wear the Nike Air ACG’s but those are really hard to find locally.
Everyone has different preferences, especially depending on what they are doing. When I worked inside part time I would buy a cheap pair of boots and put gel work insoles inside. I was comfortable and they would last a year but stink. As a driver I've tried different things and settled on buying black Sketcher work sneakers every 3 months. They are about $50 and comfortable. After 3 months I start wearing the soles off any work shoe. I wear these year round except snow storm days and the days immediately after. I wear a basic boot on those days that is higher on the ankle.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes and no. My accountant told me two months ago that if you are not self-employed then work related expenses can be applied but it has no impact on your return until the expenses exceed 10% of your gross pay for the year.

This is not true. This year I wrote off $2,100 and received a tax credit of $350.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sneakers make my knees and back hurt. Used to love a good pair of New Balance or Puma's. Getting too old...

I stepped out of the package car yesterday right in to a pothole, slightly twisting my ankle. I was wearing my New Balance 608's----I don't think my ankle would have been hurt had I been wearing my boots (and had I scanned the area I was stepping on).

EasyTrucker

This is not true. This year I wrote off $2,100 and received a tax credit of $350.

What in the heck are you claiming for your UPS job that costs $2100? I needed $2375 in expenses to get a federal credit and I can only come up with $175 for boots/shoes and socks and just under a grand for union dues. UPS provides everything else.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What in the heck are you claiming for your UPS job that costs $2100? I needed $2375 in expenses to get a federal credit and I can only come up with $175 for boots/shoes and socks and just under a grand for union dues. UPS provides everything else.

Sent using BrownCafe App

$1,100 for union dues. $10/week uniform maintenance. $20/month for my cellphone. The rest was socks/shoes/boots.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

$1,100 for union dues. $10/week uniform maintenance. $20/month for my cellphone. The rest was socks/shoes/boots.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Uniform maintenance? You're deducting the huge expense of laundry? We're lucky we get our work clothes for free. A majority of workers have to spend big money on wardrobes for work. Expensive suits, dresses, ect. Can't deduct them.

Cell phone? Your personal phone that might be used for a work call? What's the reason for that?

I also don't see the reason to claim shoes and socks.

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
I just got my first pair of Keens right before peak and I LOVE them! They do run around $150-200 but will last you around 2 years and they have gel cushions in them.

Rainman

Its all good.
a high quality insole/arch support will help you alot with this....
I have a guy on my route who actually repairs shoes like people did years and years ago. He could take your shows completely apart and sew them back together just like new. He has the business of a couple of amusement parks that send the shoes from their singers/dancers/entertainers. He made me a couple of cushion inner soles custom made of tough but comfortable material that absorbs the shock of 150 plus stops every day. when I wear out shoes, he pulls them out and puts them into the next pair for me. After two years they still feel cushiony when I rock back and forth. It has made a big difference in reducing knee pain and discomfort. If you can find a guy like this, that's the way to go.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

barnyard

KTM rider
but… where is Barnyard with his classic response? :biggrin:

Refraining.

I have no idea why, though.

I did not know that when you start a thread, the thread title turns up related threads. If an OP would click some of those threads, 99.9% of the time, they would not even have to start a boot, sock or 'I just took the tour and I am an idiot' thread.