Brown or Purple?

HomeDelivery

dannyboy said some FedEx'ers were previously Brown... they couldn't handle management's constant micro-managing / harassment of them so they switch to purple uniforms with less pay, less benefits, etc.

but, from reading from these threads, you don't have it THAT bad... you're being compensated fairly for the harassment with hourly pay, sick pay, vacation pay, etc...

I want to hear from some drivers that have been to both sides of the industry & have some input.

for example, I had a few temp drivers saying that they didn't like brown & went to purple because of the military-style training. I said that they have to be more professional out there on the roads since they're the leaders of this industry, so that was justified.

the temp training over in purple (Home Delivery to be more specific) is close to none; you just have to be experienced with driving a commercial vehicle within the past 3 years... I told them they used to have Smith System training and SAFE training, but this year was just drive around the block to see if you can handle a little cargo van.

I have no idea if i can take the brown management's harassment like water off a ducks back, but it's probably too late for me to switch uniform colors since they don't hire outsiders much. (I didn't want to climb up the totem pole from a package handler into a courier after a couple of years). I did love driving to new places, servicing my customers, etc from the beginning of becoming a home delivery driver. But with you guys trying to make your company look good from the "investor's view" instead of customer service, i'm having 2nd thoughts of making that switch.

HomeDelivery

i know... but he did say that...

dannyboy said:
...at one time in our area when FDX first started, 75-80% of their new drivers were senior drivers that quit UPS because of mistreatment and harrassment, and contributed to the powerhouse you now work for.

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/friend-eastern-tennessee-341493/index2.html

those guys that had converted from brown to purple are probably regretting it now (see the fedex forums on this site).

I don't work for FedEx Corp; either with a temp agency as an hourly employee or with a subcontractor that has to buy his route/truck/equipment/etc...

PS: the other thing is that UPS guys aren't allowed to have portable GPS units stuck to the windshield? what's up with that? same with Express... they're not that much of a distraction if you "keep your eyes moving"

Johney

Anybody I know that went to FEDEX from UPS was let go or resigned(if you may) from UPS for some reason or another.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I dont believe any driver has left ups for Fedex. This would be stupid

We had a driver that left and gave the purple drink a try. I don't recall how long he was gone but he came back. Said it was one of the biggest mistakes he ever made. While UPS took him back, he lost all of his seniority.

I couldn't even imagine leaving for the PITA problems of being an independent contractor doing the same job with more headaches. Screw that.

UPSGUY72

You would have to be an idiot to Quit UPS and go work for FED EX.

The only way I see it happening is if the driver burned all his bridges at UPS and got fired for the last time.

NYdriver

PS: the other thing is that UPS guys aren't allowed to have portable GPS units stuck to the windshield? what's up with that? same with Express... they're not that much of a distraction if you "keep your eyes moving"

I have never heard of that. In my center all the on car's and trainees use them.

yeldarb

We had a fedex ground guy get hired off the street but quit within 3 months. He was way fast, but had all the Fedex habits. Leave truck running, no seat belt, lousy DR's. Every morning he would come in and stress himself out with how the truck looked, since he was never bulked in at ground too.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
PS: the other thing is that UPS guys aren't allowed to have portable GPS units stuck to the windshield? what's up with that? same with Express... they're not that much of a distraction if you "keep your eyes moving"\

We know where we are going

HomeDelivery

I have never heard of that. In my center all the on car's and trainees use them.

oh, OK thanks for that clarification... i've seen on other threads that they weren't allowed to have 12V outlets on the dash for use of GPS or cell phone chargers or an inverter/radio... all distractions (shrugs)

good for you, dupa. But as a swing/cover driver, I don't have the luxury of servicing the same area every day.
I'll rely on them to get my stops off my package car efficiently instead of pulling over & looking into a map book.

So, any purple to brown guys here?

NYdriver

oh, OK thanks for that clarification... i've seen on other threads that they weren't allowed to have 12V outlets on the dash for use of GPS or cell phone chargers or an inverter/radio... all distractions (shrugs)

There isnt any outlets in the truck. The (+) and (-) jumper terminals are under the dash inside the truck, so guys cut the connecter off the charger and splice on aligator clips.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You don't need to cut wire but you need a wire from your radio going to a cigarette lighter plug and then get one of these to hook up to the accessory terminals under the dash (if applicable):

car-cigarette-lighter-socket-one-socket-with-two-alligator-clips-200pcs-lot-SL-200.jpg
car-cigarette-lighter-socket-one-socket-with-two-alligator-clips-200pcs-lot-SL-200.jpg

Borderline 9.5

We have a new dm and starting tomorrow, no radios, cell phones or sneakers. The first two don't bother me but I like to wear steel toed sneakers in the summer. Also I only listen to the radio at lunch. I don't use a GPS but I think the Saturday guy that uses the pc does. There a round ring mark on the windshield I assume is from the holder.

paidover95

I quit ups to work for u.s.p.s. The pay is less,but I have a 4 day work week,and the extra time with my wife and kids is PRICELESS!!!!!I feel sad for the guys over there who are obsessed with $$$ and overtime,and rather let someone else raise there kids.For me it was the best move.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have a new dm and starting tomorrow, no radios, cell phones or sneakers. The first two don't bother me but I like to wear steel toed sneakers in the summer. Also I only listen to the radio at lunch. I don't use a GPS but I think the Saturday guy that uses the pc does. There a round ring mark on the windshield I assume is from the holder.

as per the contract you are allowed to have a radio in your package car.

Article 18
Section 8. Radios
Transistor radios will be allowed in package cars.

yeldarb

I quit ups to work for u.s.p.s. The pay is less,but I have a 4 day work week,and the extra time with my wife and kids is PRICELESS!!!!!I feel sad for the guys over there who are obsessed with $$$ and overtime,and rather let someone else raise there kids.For me it was the best move.
You might think that was a good move, and you claim that we are obsessed with money. It is apparent the USPS is obsessed to, with all the closures, layoffs, etc. Why someone would quit a profitable, high paying job, for another that hasnt made money in years is beyond me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You might think that was a good move, and you claim that we are obsessed with money. It is apparent the USPS is obsessed to, with all the closures, layoffs, etc. Why someone would quit a profitable, high paying job, for another that hasnt made money in years is beyond me.

Take a moment and read some of his posts--it will quickly become apparent why he made the move.