Bully Manager Advice

30RedWonka

Thanks for the education everyone. This feedback will enhance my decision. The prudent choice is to build a deep case file on the manager before contacting HR. It seems like career suicide to proceed without it.

LongTimeComing: You are on the money with the old school angle. The manager has 20 years of experience with UPS and was raised in the operation. This manager obviously learned these behaviors through personal experience. S/he may have worked for one abusive manager after next.

UPS Lifer: The affected employee is a mid level manager in the corporate office. A maximum of two stripes could be reclaimed. Not all management people have direct reports. Learned today that several others at the same rank within the organization have experienced the same threat from different managers. It could get interesting.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
At 29 and counting....it works for me. I did one day go into the office and chatted with a center manager, with my steward and it stopped. It was not so much the constant harassment, but the belittlement. And we discovered that my perception was not his, and vice versa. it is their job to stay on us, but I had met the goals. We had a human being conversation, and I would not have done it without my steward, or someone, not alone.
Now I just ignore it, it is less. All I see is the light at the end of the tunnel, and as much peace as possible. I will fight if I have to, but I pick my battles.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Also, he told me he appreciated my candor. I simply asked, what do you want from me, and how do I make it stop. Im meeting this goal, that goal, yet it continues. Tell me what you need from me. I am doing what you asked me to do, the bar you set, yet every day I hear something negative about my performance. Documentation is a wonderful idea. I would document the crap out of it til I had a file an inch thick if I was not closer to the end than the beginning. Mine is quite thick....................

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
You need to get their attention. Building a "deep case file" takes too long. Here is a suggestion.
This'll get your point across and people will post your photo for decades to come.

If you're uncertain if there is a life after death, hang an old housekey around your neck (may need to be blessed by an Ayatollah, not sure).

Leave all your possessions to the Business Agent at your Local.
th.jpg

Alsobeenthere

Do not build a file and go to HR. I used to be HR and I can tell you that this will do you no good. You will however, begin the process of your own exit and not on your own terms. The advice to look for other opportunities and do your best until you can escape is the best advice. Some of the biggest bullies in the company are in HR. To quote one senior human resources manager, "I didn't get where I am by being nice."

brown_cloud

That was amusing. HR off the record? Lifer, please! I don't know what you're smokin'. But bear in mind, your "pals" in HR; they're pretty keen on random drug testing. So, please put the pipe down my friend.