Buy United Parcel Service for the Dividend

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Buy United Parcel Service for the Dividend - The Street

Smart investors looking for income also look to fast-growing, dominant companies. They take advantage of companies with large cash flows that ensure consistent dividend payments every year.

As far as package delivery is concerned, no company is bigger than 109-year-old United Parcel Service. As the largest package delivery company in the world, it offers shareholders a 3.2% dividend yield. That is at least three times the average for the air delivery and freight service industry.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Buy United Parcel Service for the Dividend - The Street

Smart investors looking for income also look to fast-growing, dominant companies. They take advantage of companies with large cash flows that ensure consistent dividend payments every year.

As far as package delivery is concerned, no company is bigger than 109-year-old United Parcel Service. As the largest package delivery company in the world, it offers shareholders a 3.2% dividend yield. That is at least three times the average for the air delivery and freight service industry.
3.2% is not that bad. we own stocks in some blue chips for the dividends. At&T, Johnson and Johnson , etc.

I'm glad i kept all my UPS stock. Love the dividends that are just reinvested.

thanks cheryl.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS Stock hasn't had a 3.2% yield in over a year and it was for a short period when the price of stock was down and UPS increased it's dividend.
UPS is typically in the 2.5% to 2.8% yield range.
I don't have much UPS stock (maybe a couple thousand shares) since I get my Pension and Insurance from UPS.
I do think UPS is still a good buy but there are many other blue chip stocks out there paying above 3% yield and many have a lower beta than UPS.
I have concentrated on Dividend stocks since 2001 when I could diversify from too much UPS holdings and impact.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS Stock hasn't had a 3.2% yield in over a year and it was for a short period when the price of stock was down and UPS increased it's dividend.
I don't have much UPS stock (maybe a couple thousand shares) since I get my Pension and Insurance from UPS.
I do think UPS is still a good buy but there are many other blue chip stocks out there paying above 3% yield and many have a lower beta than UPS.
I have concentrated on Dividend stocks since 2001 when I could diversify from too much UPS holdings and impact.

Its a decent stock but I agree with you about not putting all your eggs in the same basket.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
never let the dividends reinvest themselves always buy discounted stock instead since the dividend reinvestment is at market price instead of the 5% discount

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
My UPS stock is about 1.2% of our total portfolio. All stocks account to about 40%. real estate about 30% and the rest in cash.

waiting for next bubble to burst to invest some of that cash .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We are due for a correction but I'm skeptical of it being real estate. I think it will remain a seller's market for a while.
I was thinking in terms of commercial and investment properties.
Big investors bought up the excess residential capacity at rock-bottom prices (banks can't hold onto real estate for long).

oldngray

nowhere special
I was thinking in terms of commercial and investment properties.
Big investors bought up the excess residential capacity at rock-bottom prices (banks can't hold onto real estate for long).
Residential doesn't stay on the market for long. Some of it is flippers but not enough new construction to meet demand.

I agree about commercial though. I know of an area where they get huge tax incentives to build new warehouses and half of them remain vacant.

twoweeled

Well please share your thoughts on those other blue chip stocks paying over 3% with a lower beta. I'm interested in your thoughts. UPS is a good dividend stock, but a relatively slow grower. yes, we had an upswing awhile back, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. Your thoughts, Mr Monk ?

twoweeled

My UPS stock is about 1.2% of our total portfolio. All stocks account to about 40%. real estate about 30% and the rest in cash.

waiting for next bubble to burst to invest some of that cash .
About 30% in Reits? been happy with Reits or by chance are you referring to home builders? I've been sitting on so much freakin cash!! But I just feel we have to have a pullback, THAT NEVER SEEMS TO COME!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well please share your thoughts on those other blue chip stocks paying over 3% with a lower beta. I'm interested in your thoughts. UPS is a good dividend stock, but a relatively slow grower. yes, we had an upswing awhile back, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. Your thoughts, Mr Monk ?
I am not a financial advisor and I don't know your future needs and the level of risk you are comfortable with.
I'll be glad to share my stocks/funds with you but you should carefully evaluate.
My advisor advises me to sell 2 or 3 stocks per year so it is a dynamic list.
Let me know if you would still like for me to share.

twoweeled

I am not a financial advisor and I don't know your future needs and the level of risk you are comfortable with.
I'll be glad to share my stocks/funds with you but you should carefully evaluate.
My advisor advises me to sell 2 or 3 stocks per year so it is a dynamic list.
Let me know if you would still like for me to share.
Yes. I'm interested. I'm always interested in ideas and thoughts. I know what you're saying. I have the same feeling when I'm asked for an opinion. "don't look at me if it drops the day after you buy it"! LOL! I'm getting so frustrated with this market. It's like it's waiting for me to jump in with both feet. We both know what's gonna happen the next day!! I'm considering just setting myself up with some dividend ETF's or funds, maybe 30% growth stocks. very little bond funds? And just forget about it. 5-7% with mainly low beta stocks I don't have to concern myself with would probably work. I think! I've been very active in the past, but it's getting to that point where it just isn't fun anymore. I'm just curious about what others see. listening to advisors pushing their own holdings doesn't work for me. I still don't see me going in until we back up a little.
I'm scared! .
scared.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes. I'm interested. I'm always interested in ideas and thoughts. I know what you're saying. I have the same feeling when I'm asked for an opinion. "don't look at me if it drops the day after you buy it"! LOL! I'm getting so frustrated with this market. It's like it's waiting for me to jump in with both feet. We both know what's gonna happen the next day!! I'm considering just setting myself up with some dividend ETF's or funds, maybe 30% growth stocks. very little bond funds? And just forget about it. 5-7% with mainly low beta stocks I don't have to concern myself with would probably work. I think! I've been very active in the past, but it's getting to that point where it just isn't fun anymore. I'm just curious about what others see. listening to advisors pushing their own holdings doesn't work for me. I still don't see me going in until we back up a little.
I'm scared! .
I pulled my Investment file out and will go through it tonight.
If you are not in the market right now ... I understand your angst.
I don't try to time the market ... no one has been successful at it ... many have lost fortunes trying to do so.
I always 'dollar cost average' when I move on a stock or sector.
- Funds are different since they usually have a $50k minimum.
I move out of stocks or funds without using DCA.

oldngray

nowhere special
I pulled my Investment file out and will go through it tonight.
If you are not in the market right now ... I understand your angst.
I don't try to time the market ... no one has been successful at it ... many have lost fortunes trying to do so.
I always 'dollar cost average' when I move on a stock or sector.
- Funds are different since they usually have a $50k minimum.
I move out of stocks or funds without using DCA.

My advisor has been pestering me to meet her but with this market I don't want to make any changes. I want to leave the cash in my accounts and not change anything else for now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
About 30% in Reits? been happy with Reits or by chance are you referring to home builders? I've been sitting on so much freakin cash!! But I just feel we have to have a pullback, THAT NEVER SEEMS TO COME!
I lost $250k on REITs in 2007 and 2008 ... I'm very wary.
I did get about 400% ROI on 3 home builder stocks from 2002 - 2006.
I wish I had invested my REITs in those stocks.