Calling Tieguy!

I

interested

Ez-rider,

Open communication between management is not as elusive as it may seem. What is elusive is getting management to act on those things that they perceive as outdated, unfair and ineffectual.

Let me give you an example.

When I was first hired from the outside as a supervisor, I worked as an account executive/salesperson.
The district manager in our work area had a policy that NO employee may ever call the corporate office without his approval. No phone calls whatsoever. If someone in Corporate called you, you were not to return that call until it (subject matter) was reviewed. The reason for this policy? Our district manager did not want to look foolish if anyone happened to say the wrong thing to someone in the corporate office.

I was working on an initiative at the time and had someone in corporate call my office and ask specifically for me. I happened to be there and answer the phone. After a brief conversation with my boss that afternoon, It registered that I had spoken to Corporate. Well, it hit the fan. I was told to return to the office immediately, the district manager grilled me about our conversation, and our policy on talking to the corporate office.

It didn't matter that I was the only one in the district that was in possession of the information that corporate was looking for, nor that the person from corporate had called me and I actually answered the phone. In addition to that, the information was all numerical. Volume and revenue numbers of the branch of a national account in my area. The data that I gave to him was info that I had been sending to him in house mail on a weekly basis, but he had misplaced the most recent mailing and needed the numbers. It was a brief conversation that could not be construed as anything other than informative, and necessary to have. Of course, I could have told him I would call him back, try and track down my boss, have him track down the district manager and then wait for an answer to, if and when, I was to be able to return his phone call.

I made a decision to handle the call.

When I respectfully asked in the meeting why I was being taken to task for making a decision, one of the reasons I assumed Ups had hired me, I was shut down and reminded in no uncertain terms of the policy. Afterwards, my immediate manager and I had a long talk about the culture at Ups, he was honest and upfront, and I think he genuinely felt bad about not supporting my decision to field the call-It was my introduction to it is what it is culture of management at Ups.

What really bothered me though, was when I had the opportunity to discuss this in the following months with many of my peers, most of them did not see the ridiculous nature of the policy. In fact, many of them made lengthy attempts to defend and rationalize such an egregious rule. They openly questioned whether we as supervisors had the, authority and acumen to have a phone conversation with corporate. There were some of them that also felt that it was a ridiculous policy- but that their hands were tied, it was best to, go with the flow. they said.
I was stunned. What really got to me was that 6 months later, when this district manager was promoted, and the policy of calling corporate was abolished by the new manager (he thought it was ridiculous) everybody agreed with him immediately. Those staunch supporters of it just a few weeks before, who had such reverence for the policy, were condemning it and talking about how much better it would be to have more autonomy.

It didnt matter WHAT the policy was, it was just important to align yourself with gameplan of the new manager and not make waves. When I called several of them on the duplicitous nature of their values, they were shocked that I thought it best to make decisions based on what I THOUGHT was best to do in a situation, not what I thought someone might think of me if I made the wrong decision. I asked why after having that policy for 6 years and vehemently defending it, they could abandon it so quickly? The answer, It was no longer the policy of the new manager When I asked if they saw any rationale with the reasons the new manger threw out the policy- (it was a RIDICULOUS policy) they said I was missing the point.

As I said Ez-rider, it was very easy afterward to get my fellow managers to give me their ear on this subject, and open lines of communication. It was almost impossible to get them to see how insane the policy was and the reasons why they supported it. It was fear. Fear of stepping up and saying, this does not make sense. Many of these same people would bemoan the policy outside of work, but never try to do something to fix it.

It is still very much this way today. There is a lot of fear to step outside the box and make the professional decision that you know you have the capability to make. It is far better at Ups if you confer with your manger, he with his-and so up the line and then back down to arrive at a consensus. If you do buck this policy, or take it a step further and report YOUR manager for his/her inability to make a decision you are a marked man. This style of management brings Ups to its knees everyday-whenever you dont empower your people to act in the same professional capacity that you claim to have spent so much time and money hiring and training them, you lose valuable synergies and performance from that employee. If working for Ups is such a great privilege, and we do our best only to keep the best and brightest in our employ-why cant we be trusted to know what is best in our trailer, in our center, and in our package car-that an employee may have been driving for TWENTY FIVE YEARS.

S

smf0605

interested - I view that in an entirely different light than you do.
I see that you didn't agree with a policy and felt that it should be changed.
Not everyone agrees with every policy we have. It would be ridiculous to believe that they do. The difference between you and your co-workers is this; while they may not agree with a policy, they understand that it is their job to uphold the policies.

I

interested

Smf0605,

It is important to note that the policy that was instituted in our work area was not a Ups policy, but the policy of an individual person. Why was this policy instituted-to cover his ass in case of a mistake. Why was the policy abolished? The new district manager was in no way ready to have a conversation with corporate, who among other things in our policy book, devote a lot of energy to why they support an open door policy. Is not being allowed to talk to corporate upholding that policy-No way!

Did corporate know that we had a policy where No employees were allowed to talk to them without consent-You bet they didn't!!! How would they have reacted to uncover such a breach in OFFICIAL POLICY?? Our new district mangers words were to the effect of, "I sure as hell don't want to find out, If someone from corporate calls you-call them back!!- If you need to talk to someone in corporate-give them a call!!!"

There are lots of Ups policies that I don't like-Yes, We have a responsibility to respect them-we ALSO have a responsibility to challenge breaches in official policy that were adopted to protect and galvanize unproductive or ineffective managers that have insulated themselves from the responsibilities of their position.

Either way, there are several entities within Ups to guide us. First and foremost is the law. What are the laws of the state and nation that are instituted to protect a workers rights. Second, is Ups policy. We all should have a policy book, and be familiar with its contents. Thirdly, our professional conscience. Ostensibly, why Ups saw fit to place us in our current positions. If something damn silly is happening to you-stand up and investigate it. Where do we as employees turn in the event that we are unclear on any of the above?

Human resources. It is their job to understand ALL of the policies and laws that govern our employment. You will also find them an excellent guide for your conscience in matters that seem irregular and unfair.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to familiarize yourself with the vast resources that H.R has available to make sure you are treated fairly and legally at Ups.

If you feel that something or someone is unfair-challenge it. Be respectful, follow the rules and stand up for what you think is right.

T

tieguy

Interested I agree there are limitations to acting empowered. In some cases there are good reasons for it in others its a power trip per the example you give with talking to corporate. Its also interesting to hear the complaints from drivers and sups about how we don't do things the way we used to. I think we are often given more leeway than we let on. Drivers here talk about center managers not being allowed to work more than the planned drivers. In fact they can choose to do so if volume dictates it but they better be right. Some stop taking the risk of being wrong.

E

ezrider

Interested,I'm almost speechless after reading that.After all I've seen in my time here,perhaps I shouldn't be appalled at what you were subjected to,but I am nonetheless.I can understand your frustration with your co-workers blind allegiance(reminds me of those sheep in that George Orwell novel)

What truly burns me about a thing like this is that this S.O.B. got promoted of all things.Years ago we had a real arrogant blowhard District Manager that treated everybody like dirt and I can remember while everybody else was breathing a sigh of relief that he was gone,I was ticked off just thinking that somebody higher up the ladder LIKED THE WAY HE DID THINGS enough to promote him.

I'm with you all the way on how that type of tyranny can short-circuit creative synergies.It happens among drivers too.Having done darn near every route I can always come up with a teamwork oriented solution only to hear"Well Joe Blow might see me and tell the steward I was doing more than I usually do,and I may need the steward since he says the company is out to get us so I'd rather not take any risks..."

It reminds me of the capitulation of Iraq's "elite" Republican Guard forces.If an American commanding officer got knocked out of battle,there was always a capable replacement in the unit and could keep things operating like a team.If an Iraqi commander got taken out,there was nobody to fill the void since it's soldiers weren't trained to think but rather intimidated to produce a desired result from the top.

Interested I hope for my sake and yours that your cohorts can shed the paralysis that results from such blatant supression from a manager like that.I really commend you for taking a stand.The only rights someone can truly claim to have are those that he or she is willing to fight for.}