Can a part time employee become a shifter?

Big Heavy Package Handler

So the guy that normally shifts our trailers on and off the bays is on vacation and we don’t have anyone that covers him. I was wondering if these are hours that I could cover? I have my CDL. My supervisor actually asked me if I wanted to hop in a tractor today, but I didn’t want to get in trouble since I’m not certified through the company.

Rack em

Made the Podium
So the guy that normally shifts our trailers on and off the bays is on vacation and we don’t have anyone that covers him. I was wondering if these are hours that I could cover? I have my CDL. My supervisor actually asked me if I wanted to hop in a tractor today, but I didn’t want to get in trouble since I’m not certified through the company.
I would have hopped right in and shifted the :censored2: outta some trailers! If a sup asks you then you say you were working as directed.

CoolStoryBro

Some places have full time feeder drivers doing shifting. Some places have part time shifters. Some places have 22.3 combo shifters, etc... And there are probably places with some other sort of shifting situation.

Where I'm at we use part time shifters. They attend a training course at a nearby facility. And they get paid utility driver wage. And once a shifter... Always a shifter. Highly coveted position. Where else can you make 32$ an hour working part time hours? Wage may be different in your local. it's different everywhere.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You need to be qualified through feeders , if there is no shifter, the center manager needs to call the feeder dept to get one !!
You start that , have an accident, your screwed!! Work as directed in building , not if some dumb arse Pt sup tells you to hop on a feeder !!!

Gotta be certified... and yes you can do it...
You need to be qualified through feeders , if there is no shifter, the center manager needs to call the feeder dept to get one !!
You start that , have an accident, your screwed!! Work as directed in building , not if some dumb arse Pt sup tells you to hop on a feeder !!!

I have almost 3 years of experience. I already have my CDL I just don’t have a UPS certification.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You are also holding back a qualified feeder driver from a possible new job , or ot, do the job here you were hired for, you do these people a favor , something goes wrong , they look the other way as they hang you out to dry !!!!

You are also holding back a qualified feeder driver from a possible new job , or ot, do the job here you were hired for, you do these people a favor , something goes wrong , they look the other way as they hang you out to dry !!!!

I agree with that. I’m not doing anything till I am UPS qualified. Just wondering if it was possible because nobody else wants to do it. Our current shifter gets 6 weeks vacation and sometimes takes them all in a row.