Can a supervisor, manage while off duty?

ups1990

A few weeks back, an on-road supervisor who happened to be on vacation, asked me to redeliver a ni1 nda package. Now if I, would have said no, could that have come under not working as directed?

The question is, does a manager have supervisor authority over an employee at all times?

rod

Retired 22 years
I would have politely told him to get bent- you don't take orders from idiots on vacation. (Unless maybe they tell you to take an extra long break):wink2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A few weeks back, an on-road supervisor who happened to be on vacation, asked me to redeliver a ni1 nda package. Now if I, would have said no, could that have come under not working as directed?

The question is, does a manager have supervisor authority over an employee at all times?

Full-time management are on the clock 24/7.
Would not advise to disobey their instructions.

pudg00

pudg00
Great question. If it was my current sup. I would have no problem doing as he asked. Depends on the situtation. More info. is needed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well Hoax Does that mean if they call me at 2Am I have to answer the phone? You bring up a great point.
I sure the hell would not. Management may be on the clock but hourlies are not.
Even as a management person not sure I would answer at 2 a.m.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Yes he does.

The contract states that we will work as directed by management. It makes no reference to whether or not that management person is on vacation.

Where was said sup at the time of request? Was he stopping by the center even though on vacation or did you bump into him on the street? The main point is you were on the clock,you were weren`t you,so pretty much do as told. Now him on the street,you off clock somewhere,he can pound sand,that is until he gets a hold of you on Monday at work.

Big Babooba

Who are you? You're a UPS supervisor? How can I be sure? I don't recognize you! Where's your ID? How do I know that you're not a FedEx spy?

Article 20, section 5 of the UPS National Master Agreement states:
"All management personnel shall wear a name tag identifying them as supervision while on duty."

I've seen drivers refuse to speak to visiting management because they weren't wearing a name tag, even a Keter auditor! That takes balls!

I would redeliver it, then cover my ass and inform my supervisor what went down, stand back and enjoy the fireworks as egos clash.

But you said he asked you. That takes on a new light. I have to make the assumption that he didn't order you. I would do him the favor as a professional courtesy. I'd do it for another hourly without a squabble, why not management? After all, he may have a long memory and a short fuse. Your paths may cross again in the future. I'd still let my supervisor know.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Would be no different than if you had seen him after he had gone home for the day. Technically off duty, but still responsible for ops. I have even seen retirees who can't seem to turn loose of the reins. One mgt retiree said to me that he better be able to see me carrying my keys while he was buying tires where I was delivering. I just laughed it off. I hope I don't have to criticize other drivers methods when I visit other cities traveling when I retire. For gosh sakes, punch out and relax! We all earn our time off. Do us all a favor and use it to forget where you work for a few hours. Its just a job.

I also know a corp level retiree who became a small town cop as a dream job, he is somewhere down around Hoaxter's neck of the woods. I wonder if he ever tickets the big brown trucks for parking or speeding? He is a big Nascar nut too, not that that's a bad thing. At least he's not our race driver.

over9five

Staff member
Who are you? You're a UPS supervisor? How can I be sure? I don't recognize you! Where's your ID? How do I know that you're not a FedEx spy?

Article 20, section 5 of the UPS National Master Agreement states:
"All management personnel shall wear a name tag identifying them as supervision while on duty."

Too funny! That's what I would say!!!!
You should ask for his ID. How do you know he didn't just make the walk of shame 10 minutes ago?

Then I would re-attempt the package.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Full-time management are on the clock 24/7.
Would not advise to disobey their instructions.

So does that mean every time they are driving a car they are considered on the clock for UPS? If thats the case, every time one of them goes to a bar and has a beer they should be treated the same way Klein was? That ia a bunch of crap. We have a DM that says he can go on and off the clock whenever he wants, so that whenever someone sees him talking on his phone while driving, or any other BS that he would fire us for, he simply says "I was not on the clock".

Funny though how we will get written up for things he seen us doing while he was "Off the clock"!!!

HYPOCRITE!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So does that mean every time they are driving a car they are considered on the clock for UPS? If thats the case, every time one of them goes to a bar and has a beer they should be treated the same way Klein was? That ia a bunch of crap. We have a DM that says he can go on and off the clock whenever he wants, so that whenever someone sees him talking on his phone while driving, or any other BS that he would fire us for, he simply says "I was not on the clock".

Funny though how we will get written up for things he seen us doing while he was "Off the clock"!!!

HYPOCRITE!!!

Excuse me ... haven't you ever heard of Double Standards?

Deal with it ... It is what it is.