Can I Refuse to Go "Help"?

Supraloud84

As always, it depends on the route. 200 stops in downtown resi's on one of the routes I cover would be done by 5 hours. 200 stops on another route would have me out til 10pm
I'm in a semi suburban area. Have usually 40-45 commercial stops in the morning and then 150 or so resi's . The volume of packages for my commercial stops generally sets the flow of the day. If I get alot of bulk on those it I end up out there way later

Whither

Scofflaw
There is nothing worse than having 10 or 20 stops left and then seeing the dreaded green light on the DIAD.

Hate to be that guy, but it is worse when they catch you at your last stop. And even worse when this happens as you'd have been rolling into the weekend, and worst of all -- vacation. :wink-very:

By the same token, there are few things better than seeing the green light flash a couple minutes into your drive back to the bldg. I laugh from pure joy on those occasions: "Too late!"

As another comment pointed out, it's always worth clarifying if you're being asked or instructed. Here the messages are always ambiguous -- purposefully so, I think.

DriverNerd

By the same token, there are few things better than seeing the green light flash a couple minutes into your drive back to the bldg. I laugh from pure joy on those occasions: "Too late!"

I feel awful when I get that light and know, for my own safety, that I can not check the message until I stop at the building. Just...awful.

charm299

There is nothing worse than having 10 or 20 stops left and then seeing the dreaded green light on the DIAD. 9 times out of 10, it's a desperate sup asking me to contact them at which point I will be told to go take some stops from someone else. I have ceased all communication via cell phone and don't answer when they call me. I normally respond with "No cell service. Please direct all communication through DIAD." If they want to talk on the phone, they can issue me one. Last night was a complete s*it show, and many of the routes were blown out. I finished around 19:20 and was told to go take a ridiculous amount of stops from a kid that just started last week. I was pissed, but proceeded to take about 30 stops, drop anchor, and deliver around 8 stops an hour. Is there any language on refusing to take on more work? If I refuse, can they get me on not working as directed?
The problem is that it’s the same little bitches that get dispatched an extra 10 Stops on their route so they drop the anchor and expect help everytime

21Savage

I don't mind helping people that are trying hard and are actually :censored2:ed. But I get pissed having to help the same people everyday who just flat out suck or are intentionally tanking it.

JJinVA

The problem is that it’s the same little bitches that get dispatched an extra 10 Stops on their route so they drop the anchor and expect help everytime

I started taking my whole hour lunch everyday because I know the ppl who are expecting help are taking their whole hour. Ever since I started taking my whole hour, they rarely ask me to go take stops because they started dispatching me based on me only taking 20-30 minutes, until I caught on. So now I have the same stop count with an hour lunch. Barely make it back to the center with my air on time.

JJinVA

I don't mind helping people that are trying hard and are actually :censored2:ed. But I get pissed having to help the same people everyday who just flat out suck or are intentionally tanking it.
Same. Especially during peak. I dont mind helping ppl who I know carry their own weight. Ive needed help maybe 5 times sine I started and it was always because of atrocious dispatches that had like 6 routes into a split

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
There is nothing worse than having 10 or 20 stops left and then seeing the dreaded green light on the DIAD. 9 times out of 10, it's a desperate sup asking me to contact them at which point I will be told to go take some stops from someone else. I have ceased all communication via cell phone and don't answer when they call me. I normally respond with "No cell service. Please direct all communication through DIAD." If they want to talk on the phone, they can issue me one. Last night was a complete s*it show, and many of the routes were blown out. I finished around 19:20 and was told to go take a ridiculous amount of stops from a kid that just started last week. I was pissed, but proceeded to take about 30 stops, drop anchor, and deliver around 8 stops an hour. Is there any language on refusing to take on more work? If I refuse, can they get me on not working as directed?
Yes! Not following instructions

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Hope someone comes along with an answer. This is going to be another business as usual for UPS. Are you on the 9.5 list? My neighborhood driver is and he said it doesnt make any difference.He just got another $2500 take home check from a grievance. Said he still wasnt happy about it since he wants to spend time with family.

Where's the union on this?
Preach Beech

GenericUsername

I started taking my whole hour lunch everyday because I know the ppl who are expecting help are taking their whole hour. Ever since I started taking my whole hour, they rarely ask me to go take stops because they started dispatching me based on me only taking 20-30 minutes, until I caught on. So now I have the same stop count with an hour lunch. Barely make it back to the center with my air on time.
I got a message the other day asking me what was wrong that day. It was 12:20 and I only had 30 off and had just finished my meal. I responded as so and got back a message of "You better hurry up and finish - we need you to take stops off someone later." I had 180 left... lol. Needless to say I did a whopping 15 stops an hour for the next 4 hours to prove my point then finished at my own pace and never helped a person.

21Savage

Same. Especially during peak. I dont mind helping ppl who I know carry their own weight. Ive needed help maybe 5 times sine I started and it was always because of atrocious dispatches that had like 6 routes into a split
Yeah and the funny part is when we, the everyday helpers are friend'd and need help for once, they don't send anyone lol.

That's when I send the message, "revised ETA: 22:50 with missed"

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
Just make sure you pick a day off schedule to return the favored plenty overtime 4 days will do the work

Whither

Scofflaw
I feel awful when I get that light and know, for my own safety, that I can not check the message until I stop at the building. Just...awful.
Exactly! In the wrong either way: violate the methods for a higher purpose, or let mgmt down by following the methods. We ought to form a support group to deal with our guilt. The safety committee can serve as our priests and penance exercises can be, e.g., 10 'power-ups' or bailing water, reciting 5 times the 5s and 10s, the keys and the 9 rules of yard control.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
they made @MECH-lift help a driver one time ...20 stops took 4 hours. Never was asked to help again.
🧔✊
1603031731241.gif

Is this how slow you went?

Est.1998

Hate to be that guy, but it is worse when they catch you at your last stop. And even worse when this happens as you'd have been rolling into the weekend, and worst of all -- vacation. :wink-very:

As another comment pointed out, it's always worth clarifying if you're being asked or instructed. Here the messages are always ambiguous -- purposefully so, I think.
Driving back or already being at the building doesn't equate to home base at my hub. They'd still expect you to turn around or go back out to take 10-30 stops off.