Can they force a driver to bid a route?

LagunaBrown

This is what I am
SECTION 38 – COVER DRIVERS
Cover driver jobs will be filled by qualified seniority part-time em- ployees, who have expressed their desire in writing to be on the list, in seniority order and who have been certified by the Employer. Cover drivers will not accrue full-time seniority when driving under this sec- tion. When no cover work is available, cover drivers shall continue to accrue part-time seniority with their appropriate part-time benefits.
This is what I will be next and what the guy they are going to force on a route is.
SECTION 11 – UTILITY DRIVERS
After completion of a thirty (30) day on road training period in the same center, a new driver is given the utility driving job, unless a driver with more seniority wants such utility work. This enables high seniority drivers to be on regular assigned sections when such work becomes available in the center to which the employee is assigned. Seniority shall be observed when loaning out utility drivers to anoth- er center. When directed on a scheduled day of dispatch, travel time to and from another facility shall be considered paid for time.
Employees will use the Employer’s vehicles whenever possible. Em- ployee’s who use their personal vehicle shall be reimbursed at the appli- cable IRS rate per mile. Employees using their personal vehicles shall be paid for both time and mileage beyond his/her normal commute.
When delivery area vacancies are scheduled for a week or more, utility drivers shall bid, in seniority order, those vacated areas on a week by week basis. Once a utility driver is awarded a weekly vacancy bid, in accordance with their seniority, they shall not be removed from that weekly vacancy bid, except when the regular bid driver returns to work during the week. These delivery area vacancies shall be posted by Thursday of the prior week.
which is basically a full time cover driver. We don’t have 22.4s because our center doesn’t have 20 drivers yet. So they start you at pt cover then you go to full time utility till you bid a route.
They are saying our lowest seniority full time driver will have to bid the route.
My question is will I have any defense when and if this happens to me?
By the way I worked in the Laguna building about a year but moved to N.M. 492
I probably know you lol
Thank you, much better explanation. The answer is yes they can force you if you are the bottom utility driver but since you will hold a bid/assigned route that will qualify you for RPCD privileges like 9.5 list and 8 hour requests ect. If the route sucks get on the 9.5 list right away! That should fix the route but with Covid - 19 the company may work you over 9.5 but will have to pay you paying triple time for excessive hours. Hope that helps until you get more seniority.