Can they make us work on Christmas Eve?

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
Just talking with some of the guys this evening and wondering if they can make us work on Saturday, December 24?:confused:1

UPSmeoff

I will be driving with my buddy 22 hours total to a very cold place to see the rents and sisters/brother in laws.
Leaving on the 24th and returning on the 26th.
I will not work on the 24th no matter what they tell me....Saturdays are my day....end of story.
BTW my buddy is attached....

over9five

Staff member
As I understand it, (today, could change tomorrow!), here in NNE (thats North New England district):

They can force you to work IF you have 8 hours available. You'll have to add up your hours for the past 6 days (Sunday thru Friday) PLUS paid breaks (here we get 20 minutes if we're over 10).

We are guaranteed 8 hours per punch. If you have less than 8 available, they cannot have you drive 4 and help 4, as we cannot be over 60 hours.

Of course, your welcome to volunteer to work however many hours you have. I intend to do this. Why not, it will only be the morning.

UPSmeoff

He was supposed to be attached....lets try this again.

apparently the jpg is to large to post.
I wouldnt think anybody should have to work on saturday...JMO.

xracer

over9 I was just reading that over 10 you get 20, I was wondering where you find this in the contract. I remember some of the old timers saying that they had to shut down for vittles after 7, so I was wondering if this was part of the national or just in your supplemental to the contract.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Here they are taking volunteers for Saturday. They need 25. If not enough volunteer, then they will force the bottom of the seniority list up to work. And yes, they can force you to work. I figure most will volunteer. Heard some rumors that they will be paying double OT, but that is unconfirmed.

UPSmeoff, the only thing attached is to racer's .......well....Racer's thing;)

d

95% of our Drivers are working 12 hours a day M-friend. So I doubt we will have enough drivers available with any hours left but then again Christmas Day is the begining of a new pay period and we may be forced to work Sunday.

tieguy

Banned
UPSmeoff said:
He was supposed to be attached....lets try this again.

apparently the jpg is to large to post.
I wouldnt think anybody should have to work on saturday...JMO.

You really don't have to work saturdays. What you should do is find a job where it does not matter if you accomplish anything and where whatever you do is not important and not needed. If you violate this edict then there is a chance you might actually have to work an off day occasionally.

UPSmeoff

tieguy said:
You really don't have to work saturdays. What you should do is find a job where it does not matter if you accomplish anything and where whatever you do is not important and not needed. If you violate this edict then there is a chance you might actually have to work an off day occasionally.
That makes no sense.

sendagain

December 24

Since the 24th is a huge day for UPS and it's customers, the point being to get gifts to people by Christmas, I would think any UPS employee worth a plug nickel wouldn't mind putting in some hours on a Saturday to see to it that children and our customers can recieve the best Christmas we can give them. After all, there is no Santa Claus, we are Santa Claus. Though I am retired, I wouldn't mind making a pile of money making people happy.

tieguy

Banned
UPSmeoff said:
That makes no sense.

I think it does. We are in the bussness to deliver christmas. That would include working Saturdays to get the job done. It includes working christmas eve if needed. Anything worthwhile will require some sacrifice. Our ability to deliver christmas is one reason why we have been so successfull as a company. your attitude that you will not work the 24th no matter what your boss says is selfish. If you are really that selfish then you really need to try to find a job where you accomplish nothing and it does not matter if you do.

ups79

well stated "tie", funny I don't think many did not understand you in the first place. ok2b(the grand seer of brown cafe) has not made a comment yet. He must be working his tail off at that counter job. You think he even has winter clothing?

ok2bclever

I Re Member
wkmac said:
Hey UPSmeoff, you're gonna fit right in with several folks here as they feel the same way about tie!

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

79, naw, don't need winter clothes, but not being retired with a fat pension check from the Teamsters as you are I do have my hands a tad full right now.

As far as Saturday, check your supplemental language, but in my area it's yup.

They can actually contractually work you any Saturday if your seniority does not protect you and you have DOT hours available.

It's worked just like the Friday after Thanksgiving, except not the double time as it isn't a contractual holiday.

They take volunteers and then force drivers to work from the bottom up to fill the needs at time and a half.

Last edited:

ok2bclever

I Re Member
ups79 said:
I don't think many did not understand you in the first place.quote]

That is a double negative, which is incorrect grammar.

So you have an unfair advantage in understanding your hero.

Hope my posting to you doesn't scare away again like you mentioned it did earlier as that was never my intention.

I think you are alright, just don't always agree with you.

UPSmeoff

I guess i should be glad that i have enough senority to be able to take saturday off. It wasnt always that way you know.
It depresses me to think of the many past holidays with family that i have missed out on. Sure i know its my choice to live so far away from them, but how can wanting to see them on the biggest holiday of the year be considered selfish.