Can they make us work on Christmas Eve?

ups79

ok2b:doesn't two negatives, when used together in sentence, make it positive? You are right, that fat pension check in addition to insurance for my wife and I at $50.00 is nice.

over9five

Staff member
I'll tell you why everyones up in arms about this. We give away our family life to work for this company. We give up our family EVERY Christmas Eve EVERY year to work for this company. We work late every night, and we work many holidays that our friends have off.

Now comes a Christmas Eve on Saturday! Great! For once we can stay home with the wife and kids like normal people!
But then the Grinch steps in and says, "Sorry, we'll be forcing 25 drivers to work that day".

Now I'll be volunteering to work that day, but I certainly can understand the disgust that others feel.

susiedriver

over9five said:
I'll tell you why everyones up in arms about this. We give away our family life to work for this company. We give up our family EVERY Christmas Eve EVERY year to work for this company. We work late every night, and we work many holidays that our friends have off.

Now comes a Christmas Eve on Saturday! Great! For once we can stay home with the wife and kids like normal people!
But then the Grinch steps in and says, "Sorry, we'll be forcing 25 drivers to work that day".

Now I'll be volunteering to work that day, but I certainly can understand the disgust that others feel.
I can't believe it, but I agree with you. I guess Xmas is a special time of year!
Do you really think you'll have hours left come next saturday?

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
I just now got back in. I never thought I would stir up this many replies!

As far as sacrifices I plug away just like everyone else and make them. No getting off early for kids stuff etc... whatever

What can they do if you if you don't show or call in?

over9five

Staff member
Hours available is a sore subject too.... It seems UPS can change the rules with the season.

If I was working tomorrow, I have less than 3 hours available.

They have always said we can't work over 60 hours. BUT... today they said they can force people to work Christmas Eve even if they only have 1/2 hour available. Per contract, they only have to offer 8 hours for the sixth punch. Drive the 1/2 hour(or whatever), and then work inside the remainder. But that would put you over 60 hours.

Doesn't affect you if you're a volunteer, but if you're being forced to work it leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

upsermom

My son won't have the hours left, for sure. This week he only had 1.5 hours today after preloading for 8.5 hours. He went out with a bulk truck with two stops and 400+ packages got back 5 minutes late and got yelled at.

Preload starts at 10:00pm Sunday. So 14 hours each day and he is done some time early Friday.

over9five

Staff member
BA said they can't force you to work if you don't have 8 hours available.

He then said that if your name is posted to work, you have to work OR call in sick. IE, don't No Call No Show.

Huge misfortune we can't get the Union to just take a stand and stick with it,

tieguy

Banned
susiedriver said:
Not really; but when someones sentence structure is consistantly convoluted, it is a tad difficult to take their reasoning seriously.

also makes a convienent excuse to avoid answering questions. Welcome to the internet. The rules of english grammar have always been much looser on the internet. Deal with it.

tieguy

Banned
UPSmeoff said:
I guess i should be glad that i have enough senority to be able to take saturday off. It wasnt always that way you know.
It depresses me to think of the many past holidays with family that i have missed out on. Sure i know its my choice to live so far away from them, but how can wanting to see them on the biggest holiday of the year be considered selfish.

Ok fair point. Question is whats wrong with using that seniority on the following tuesday - wednesday or even bidding the week as a vacation?

tieguy

Banned
ups79 said:
ok2b:doesn't two negatives, when used together in sentence, make it positive? You are right, that fat pension check in addition to insurance for my wife and I at $50.00 is nice.

Some are able to understand the intent of the message without developing a complete brain lock up. :lol:

tieguy

Banned
over9five said:

All understood Over and you're right. But you have to admit we also have more opportunity through vacations and paid days off then the average worker. Unless you're like me and you have a government employee as a relative who does not work more than 4 days a week and tells me he still has 40 vacation days in the bank. :w00t:

the grinch is the customer. Thats who we want to keep happy because we know how important that christmas package is.

Thanks for volunteering.

UPSmeoff

As far as i know im not allowed to bid a week of vacation or use a personal holiday in the month of december. I have done that for other holidays.

tieguy

Banned
Ok you might be right. I thought we bid the week as a vacation. I'll go back and check it. We also allow our drivers the option of carrying oh/sd's to the week between christmas and new years.

outta hours

In our area they are making everyone work. Mgr. says he knows it is a contract violation but the company does not care, he said you can grieve it on Tuesday. Union stance is they cannot force you to work. Simply tell sups. you won't be coming in. Sup says they will address that on Tuesday. But no action can really be taken, no warning letters can be issued for company breaking the contract. Quite a mess. Think the co. would have gotten more of a hand from drivers if they had used a better approach. Asking for help instead of demanding it. We drivers all care about this company and our customers and most would probably come in for a few hours to help out. But many are turned off by the way this has gone down so far. Not to mention there is no food this year when we get in, the division mgr. said the company could not afford it. Great way to build morale. No wonder nobody wants to help out around here.

danlin

Our Posted schedule has every driver "On Call" for Sat the 24th.
Lot of good posts coming out of this thread about volunteers and the
meaning of Christmas and who the real Santa is .

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
You could always respond to the question:

"We need you to work saturday"

You: "On the sabboth?"

The conversation should end there.

I worked 14 hours yesterday, fun fun...
nothing like running a route blind during peak..

tieguy

Banned
outta hours said:
In our area they are making everyone work. Mgr. says he knows it is a contract violation but the company does not care, he said you can grieve it on Tuesday. Union stance is they cannot force you to work. Simply tell sups. you won't be coming in. Sup says they will address that on Tuesday. But no action can really be taken, no warning letters can be issued for company breaking the contract. Quite a mess. Think the co. would have gotten more of a hand from drivers if they had used a better approach. Asking for help instead of demanding it. We drivers all care about this company and our customers and most would probably come in for a few hours to help out. But many are turned off by the way this has gone down so far. Not to mention there is no food this year when we get in, the division mgr. said the company could not afford it. Great way to build morale. No wonder nobody wants to help out around here.

Who is going to have hours left to work on Saturday? Can't be many.

over9five

Staff member
tieguy said:
Who is going to have hours left to work on Saturday? Can't be many.

The guys with the industrial routes who are back at 6:00 every night. (and laugh at you for being out so late!)

susiedriver

over9five said:
The guys with the industrial routes who are back at 6:00 every night. (and laugh at you for being out so late!)
Where I came from, those drivers would go back out doing residential after they unload their own truck. It was part of their morning dispatch. What kind of management team do you have in Mass? Do they take bribes from the iron route drivers or what?