Can they make us work on Christmas Eve?

UPSmeoff

I havent worked later than 6 45 yet this peak.
friday i had 160 stops....130 of them business...a new record for me, and done with no helper.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
tieguy said:
Some are able to understand the intent of the message without developing a complete brain lock up. :lol:

And some can't because of stupiditie.

I can show where you are wrong over and over and show where you can't spell or write at the same time.

UPSmeoff,

Check your supplemental.

In mine the week after Christmas is the start of the Winter vacation schedule that has to be picked by December 15th.

The week also is available to be taken off by request (by seniority) by a seperate article beyond vacation use in my supplemental.

sendagain

outta hours said:
In our area they are making everyone work. Mgr. says he knows it is a contract violation but the company does not care, he said you can grieve it on Tuesday. Union stance is they cannot force you to work. Simply tell sups. you won't be coming in. Sup says they will address that on Tuesday. But no action can really be taken, no warning letters can be issued for company breaking the contract. Quite a mess. Think the co. would have gotten more of a hand from drivers if they had used a better approach. Asking for help instead of demanding it. We drivers all care about this company and our customers and most would probably come in for a few hours to help out. But many are turned off by the way this has gone down so far. Not to mention there is no food this year when we get in, the division mgr. said the company could not afford it. Great way to build morale. No wonder nobody wants to help out around here.

The USPS is running ads saying they are delivering on Christmas day. Do you really want to cry about Saturday when our number one competitor is taking their gloves off, going an extra mile to deliver the goods? I remember their reputation used to be dirt, but I'd sure hate to see ours go the same direction. None of our benefits are maintainable if our competitors outperform us.

over9five

Staff member
Outperform us??? They're forcing their people to work Christmas! If some mailman shows up at my door on Christmas day, I will not only refuse the package, but I will also call in a nasty complaint.

CFLBrown

over9five said:
Outperform us??? They're forcing their people to work Christmas! If some mailman shows up at my door on Christmas day, I will not only refuse the package, but I will also call in a nasty complaint.

Express Mail is delivered every day of the year. People actually pay money to have those packages delivered on Christmas, plus the Post Office will try to deliver what they think are Christmas gifts on that day as well. And they aren't usually 'forcing' people to work. For the most part the people that work on Christmas day are pretty high on the seniority list.

A

Anonymous Coward

Our Ctr Manager is telling drivers that we will have to work on Saturday, and for the ones asking about ICC hours she is telling them that our hours reset on Saturday so there will be no problem. Apperently several of the new drivers are intimidated enough by her to disregard what the shop stewards and senior drivers are telling them and are planning to come in. How does the over 60 fines work? Does someone have to report them or is it automatic?

inmt

We dont have to work Friday, but....

...we do have to work Saturday. Anyone heard anything about this? Our lead driver told us that management "forewarned" us that it is a possibility that we will be layed off on Friday and then made to work on saturday.

I personally would just rather work normally on friday and then spend Saturday morning cleaning things up.

We've all been working 11.5 days here.

1timep/u

I am on Vaca next week, I will be in Vermont on Saturday,lol good luck trying to get me to work on Xmas eve

S

speeddemon

Re: We dont have to work Friday, but....

yorefired said:
...we do have to work Saturday. Anyone heard anything about this? Our lead driver told us that management "forewarned" us that it is a possibility that we will be layed off on Friday and then made to work on saturday.

I personally would just rather work normally on friday and then spend Saturday morning cleaning things up.

We've all been working 11.5 days here.

Now thats one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Yes, lets lay off drivers, and have service failures so we can work them on Saturday.

DS

Fenderbender
I Was told that in Richmond VA they are making drivers come in to sort and load Saturday over the 60 hr limit which is totally legal...

inmt

Well, we ended up getting everything delivered here tonight and so we were informed that we had the full 3 day weekend ahead of us.... Yippee!

I only had to work 9.5 to boot. Funny how 9.5 can seem like forever say in November, but after peak it seems like a cake day. :)

Sorry to anyone that has to work tomorrow, I was preparing myself mentally for it.

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
Hows this? in our center we were notified (TODAY FRIDAY) that some drivers would be working saturday, a list was not posted until drivers returned after their 12 hour day... prior to Fridays PCM there was no mention of this. Many drivers have made plans for the weekend, Saturday is the only business day available this weekend. Sunday everthing is closed, Monday is the national holiday? I truely feel for those who will be forced to work. ;)

roughly 12 hour notice from when drivers were able to read the posted list is unacceptable. thoughts? comments? observations?

Can the company do anything to those who choose not to come into work on their day off?

brownstone

I expected that they would be forcing people to work on Saturday. I volunteered during the week to help other drivers to make sure I would be as close to 60 as possible. It's a bad deal for the drivers that skipped lunches and breaks to hurry home to their families though. 59.98 hours for me this week, the most in our center.

Remember...UPS makes dollars, not sense.

over9five

Staff member
Leaving for work in about 20 minutes. I volunteered, but am well short of 8 hours available.

If you were forced, but you had plans, BOOK OFF!

upsermom

My son thought he had 4-4 1/2 hours to work today. I just spoke to him to him to see when he would be done so we could go out and get one more gift we needed. He told me the said he had 9 hours and would be lucky to get off all his packages by then.

He is the lowest driver on the seniority list so he has no choice but to suck it up and go on. They gave him the best gift they could have for his first Christmas with the company. Made him a full time driver.

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
over9five said:
If you were forced, but you had plans, BOOK OFF!
Book off?

How is one to know to book off a saturday when we don't ever work saturdays,
people make plans for weekends all the time, understanding the weekends are our time.
How is one to book off a saturday, when one finds out at 9pm friday that they are working in 12 hours?

Remember working saturday was not mentioned in any PCM preceeding Friday 23rd.

Maybe I misunderstand your "Book off" statement?

18yr veterans, commented that they have never worked a saturday in their career at UPS.

If we were told perhaps wednesday that drivers would be utilized on Saturday, it might be a different
story.

Last edited: