can we change our uniform colors please

upsdude9

It looks like cockky its embarassin. please. people say one time I look like a walkin ****. yuck and I'm a real good looking guy so I dont want that color no more. DHL look like **** but **** is better than cockky

There's a reason for that. Brown was probably the cheapest color paint available back in 190-whatever.

And the dookie jokes have been around forever. Just curious, has anyone been called Mr. Hanky yet?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Freeloader

Actually the color was not chosen because of cost.

AT the time the founding gents took to getting their first motored vehicles (for a while, everyone used bikes) there was this little company that produced world class vehicles. I believe it was called Rolls Royce. ANd because of their devotion to quality and service he was very interested in copying their color for the vehicles. It was a deep brown color. And if anything it cost more.

Fast forward to today, that color brown is a registered trademark to UPS, and next the red white and blue, is one of the most recognizable colors to a symbol/company. The logo has changed over the years, but the color will remain UPS brown.

d

feeder53

ADKtrails
I believe the Trucks and the uniform are etched in peoples mind and it will never change. One who has a good sense of being does not worry about what he looks like in any uniform, it is the person that counts.

Johney

Danny
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the brown color idea come from something like a Pullman train car? Also brown was used because it hid dirt better.

Pollocknbrown

I dont know, i like the brown uniforms, better than purple or a clown outfit if you ask me. I mean what girl hits on a guy wearing yellow and red while working and drives a van that looks like a pedophile would own :D

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Never heard of the pulman car thing. But one of the things they were ahead of their time, by choosing brown, they actually were "green". Yes, one of the other reasons was that the brown color does not show dirt as well as many other colors. Easier to keep clean.

Anyway, I am proud to have worn the color. It means a lot to a lot of people. And I can understand why someone that has never worn it, would have asked that type of question. But until he wears it for a while, I would not expect him to understand.

d

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I aint Danny, but you are correct.

The "Pullman Brown" was considered a luxury color for the fancy Pullman Train Passenger cars. I think the first few Package Cars were red and yellow before the brown was chosen. There used to be a patent on "UPS Brown". It doesn't hide dirt very well though, just look at our fleet with the Car Wash only allowed to work 3.5 hours.

Overpaid Union Thug

According to the book "Big Brown" the color brown for uniforms was chosen because the color offered humility. Casey didn't want flashy colors. Or something like that.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I guess Its time to do some actual research on the subject. Ive heard all the above stories, but you know, I really cant say where I heard them from.

I do have some books that have some of the history of UPS in them.

I would love to have a section on this site as the "unofficial" official UPS museum for us all to enjoy. Things like old photos, old documents. I know UPS owns most if not all the really good things, but you never know. I think it would be a cool project.

JMHO

d

Overpaid Union Thug

I guess Its time to do some actual research on the subject. Ive heard all the above stories, but you know, I really cant say where I heard them from.

I do have some books that have some of the history of UPS in them.

I would love to have a section on this site as the "unofficial" official UPS museum for us all to enjoy. Things like old photos, old documents. I know UPS owns most if not all the really good things, but you never know. I think it would be a cool project.

JMHO

d

You should check out "Big Brown." It's actually a pretty good book. It has alot of UPS history in it.

JustTired

free at last.......
I don't care if it's brown. I'd just like it to halfways fit. Ever since we've been getting that foreign junk, nothing fits right and we look like crap. If the company's paying more than $.50 per shirt/pants, I'd be shocked.

I guess that's the Teamsters fault. If we didn't make so much, they could afford uniforms that fit.