Can you still remember the days?

ski or die

Ski or Die
Ha---I remember when you could just write a 6 digit number (any old number) on a package, leave it in your package car and it would be on its way. Shipped many a Christmas present that way.
Rod, you are an old dog just like me. The good old days.

Shiftless

Rod, you are an old dog just like me. The good old days.

So if you youse touse are old dog's? Were either of you are roller? Or did you roll? Sort of a common practice I saw with old school guys. Not a lot did it, but I was surprised how many did. The term may vary in different regions. In our area they laid the law down on it if they caught you in the mid 70's they "S" canned you immediately. I would assume anytime before that if they caught you rolling you were canned or given the come to JHC meeting!

old levi's

blank space
So if you youse touse are old dog's? Were either of you are roller? Or did you roll? Sort of a common practice I saw with old school guys. Not a lot did it, but I was surprised how many did. The term may vary in different regions. In our area they laid the law down on it if they caught you in the mid 70's they "S" canned you immediately. I would assume anytime before that if they caught you rolling you were canned or given the come to JHC meeting!

Roll stops?

Shiftless

Rolling or being called a Roller must have been a localized thing I guess?

No one has answered that question proposed awhile back so:

Maybe this was a local thing guys did back in the day? I never did it. I was just starting out as a driver mid 70's and heard word of it at the end of a shift and the next day, "WHAM" they fired some guy's for doing it. Not too bright, but apparently they had done it for years on a as needed basis.

That is where I learned the phrase of what "Roller or Rolling" was. It was when you took some of the days CASH COD's and didn't sheet or turn them in and kept the cash for a few days only to sheet them as delivered say after a weekend. Down right "THEFT" in my book, but apparently guys had been doing it. Paid a severe price for it tho. Guys had 10 to 20 years service at the time! DONE!

COD's on some routes were a big deal back then.

How about any other you old guy's here ever hear, see or even do this?

oldngray

nowhere special
No one has answered that question proposed awhile back so:

Maybe this was a local thing guys did back in the day? I never did it. I was just starting out as a driver mid 70's and heard word of it at the end of a shift and the next day, "WHAM" they fired some guy's for doing it. Not too bright, but apparently they had done it for years on a as needed basis.

That is where I learned the phrase of what "Roller or Rolling" was. It was when you took some of the days CASH COD's and didn't sheet or turn them in and kept the cash for a few days only to sheet them as delivered say after a weekend. Down right "THEFT" in my book, but apparently guys had been doing it. Paid a severe price for it tho. Guys had 10 to 20 years service at the time! DONE!

COD's on some routes were a big deal back then.

How about any other you old guy's here ever hear, see or even do this?

I knew of a couple of guys who got fired for doing that. They could get away with it for a little while but stupid to lose you job over. One of the things they watched for closely then was stale COD tags from previous days.

Shiftless

I'm positive they did have checks and balances for this but apparently they weren't doing it in the building I worked at for some time, or the employees just didn't get caught due to sporadic occurrences and plain ole luck.

I would run one route that belong to an old timer that 30 to 40 COD's on a NORMAL DAY!

moreluck

golden ticket member
I knew of a couple of guys who got fired for doing that. They could get away with it for a little while but stupid to lose you job over. One of the things they watched for closely then was stale COD tags from previous days.
Hubby fired several guys for rolling CODs.....they think they are the first that ever even thought of it. Crooks of any kind are basically stoopid!!!!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
What I remember most was how bad the feeder tractors were. I worked for non-union companies for almost 14 years before getting on with UPS in 1993. The tractors I usually drove were nice Peterbuilts or fairly new tractors but for half the pay and no benefits.

The old UPS tractors were old day cab cab overs with 5 speed trannies with holes in the floor. The low air indicator was the flag type that dropped down. Everything seemed like it was held together with duct tape and baling wire. Most of the tractors had 750-1 million miles on them or more.

My first thought was " these things pass inspection?"

plus we had to put our own radios in them. I couldn't believe that. A few years later the company started getting snub nose Internationals and tractors were upgraded every 3-4 years.

But at the beginning it was an eye opener.

Shiftless

My first tractor was a 1964 International! Couldn't get out of its own way almost!

10 speed that going to the rail yard when you dipped under the over passes you would down shift 2 to 3 gears to get thru the freeway dip!

AGREED! The tractors UPS drivers use today are NO where in the league of worn out, beat up JUNK I DROVE!

That being said: I was happy to do that instead of knocking on doors!

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
Back in the pre-technology bad old days operations had a hint of what was heading their way on a particular day, but they never knew if they were going to get killed. Now operations KNOW they are going to get killed so they can appropriately understaff.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
My first tractor was a 1964 International! Couldn't get out of its own way almost!

10 speed that going to the rail yard when you dipped under the over passes you would down shift 2 to 3 gears to get thru the freeway dip!

AGREED! The tractors UPS drivers use today are NO where in the league of worn out, beat up JUNK I DROVE!

That being said: I was happy to do that instead of knocking on doors!

I was making $9 an hour before UPS and $18 and change after and was super happy. I could not believe all the grumbling from the drivers about every little thing. I guess I was fortunate to have grown up on the other side of the tracks so to speak . I could appreciate the job.

I remember my first paid holiday after I was hired. I called my father and told him "hey Dad , I'm sitting at home drinking a beer and getting paid for it! "

Shiftless

Back in the pre-technology bad old days operations had a hint of what was heading their way on a particular day, but they never knew if they were going to get killed. Now operations KNOW they are going to get killed so they can appropriately understaff.

That is so true!