Canadian tattoo's

wadep

This morning we had 2 full time long term drivers sent home because there tattoo's were exposed. We also had 3 full time short term drivers not sent home this morning even though they too had exposed tattoo's. Management has opened a huge can of worms with this, not to mention in the Canada Charter Of Rights, our equivelant of the American Bill Of Rights, the first LAWS mentioned are as follows.

Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
a) freedom of conscience and religion;
b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
c) freedom of peaceful assembly;
and d) freedom of association

I dunno where this is going to end up, but it should be fun to watch!!!

ImpactedTSG

Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
If that is true, then the company should have the freedom to want to portray a certain image and not hire people that go against that image right? Or does freedom only apply when it is in your favor?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If that is true, then the company should have the freedom to want to portray a certain image and not hire people that go against that image right? Or does freedom only apply when it is in your favor?
The company does not have the right to show favoritism!!!!!!! Apply the rules across the board. Same rules for everyone.

Mike Hawk

Pretty sure the constitution starts out "We the people..." not "We the corporations..." The people have those fundamental rights, not the corporations.

ImpactedTSG

The company does not have the right to show favoritism!!!!!!! Apply the rules across the board. Same rules for everyone.
Hmmm.....I missed the part about the ones NOT sent home. I agree that is not right. Send them all home if it violates the rules or none at all.

helenofcalifornia

If the tattoo is not offensive, what's the big deal? Again, another example of how UPS enforces rules and regulations differently. I would like to see what UPS would do with all the tribal tattoo's on our Samoans here. Good luck Canada!

DS

Fenderbender
wadep,by any chance do you have a new centre manager?
I dont know why they set these morons free to "do what they see fit".
If he finds out you dont like ballet,he'll have you doing pairouettes at the pcm's.Just tell the boys to stay home and get paid till they ship the center manager
off to Wawa.

wadep

Our ctr manager has been here about a year now. Walked into our ctr from one out east that pretty much ran itself, into chaos and mayhem here. Short staffed, can't hire staff as our wages are competetive with Tim Hortons out here. He's had to play the part of manager, pre-loader, pre load sup, etc. With so many other problems out west it just seems so damn trivial to come in and start with appearance issues. It wasn't the ctr manager that issued the tattoo notice, it was in fact the vice pres of canadian operation who gave the directive. He's in town for a week "fixing" things. If your going to send one home, you have to send em all home. We are a small satelite ctr off of the main Edmonton ctr. We are 18 drivers who pretty much self dispatch our ctr. Our sup who oversees the day to day operation is fantastic to work with. We as teamsters have bent over backwards to make this new ctr work. We self sort and load our own vehicles, starting at 7 a.m. and hitting the road about 9:30ish. We are all extended runs in this building. We shuttle packages back and forth between the main ctr in the evening as well as all the diads having to be back by 1800 to make the shuttle to be uploaded into the system. Our little ctr was running nice and smooth until all this came down the pipe. We may very well be back into total chaos tomorrow morning though!!!!

JustTired

free at last.......
Those darned "Canadian tattoos"! Maybe if they were U.S. tattoos it wouldn't be a problem. Just Kidding!!!

While I'm not a fan of tattoos, as long as they're not offensive or you don't look like the tattooed woman in the circus, I don't see the big deal. Isn't there bigger problems to worry about in this organization?

SmithBarney

Well Favoritism or Bias is not tolerated, so I disagree with
sending 1/2 the tattooed drivers home,

But I do agree and I know in the US
Appearance standards are addressed prior to hiring
all drivers know that they are not to have tattoos.. etc
so its not like one day they changed their minds and made up a rule
its a long standing rule.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
you also have the right to have long hair and a beard down to your ass!! but ups has the right not to work you if you don't shave and don't get a hair cut,!!!! you have the right to wear cut off jeans no shirt and sneakers too!!!! but U.P.S has an image to uphold and you read and signed it on a form before you were hired!!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well Favoritism or Bias is not tolerated, so I disagree with
sending 1/2 the tattooed drivers home,

But I do agree and I know in the US
Appearance standards are addressed prior to hiring
all drivers know that they are not to have tattoos.. etc
so its not like one day they changed their minds and made up a rule
its a long standing rule.
Not at our center. We have several drivers that have visible tattoo's.

LifeUPSer

Life without Parole
I have to agree with the covering of the tattoo's. I think that it was wrong that only half of the people got sent home. In the building that I am in the Manager doesn't send anyone home or have them cover them up. Although I disagree with the Manager not upholding that rule I comend him for being consistent with everyone. Being in Management I have to make sure that I keep my tattoo that I jus tgot covered up. I made sure that when I got it last week that it didn't go down below my sleeve.