Cant make it in..

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
He doesn't get fired because the way this cheesy outfit operates these days, management is just happy that he shows up at all.

This is FedEx 2015, not Federal Express 1985 (where he would've been shown the door without delay)

Goldilocks

No one likes a rat. Not your business if someone has to be called and woken up.

Sorry I have to disagree. If it happened once it will happen again. Also what if the good courier that is always on time overslept? Do you think they will do the same for him? Well it depends. Since they can't keep people anymore, managers kiss the the new hires butt. But us, oldtimers, we would get nailed for that because they know we are more committed to stay since retirement is in our horizon.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Sorry I have to disagree. If it happened once it will happen again. Also what if the good courier that is always on time overslept? Do you think they will do the same for him? Well it depends. Since they can't keep people anymore, managers kiss the the new hires butt. But us, oldtimers, we would get nailed for that because they know we are more committed to stay since retirement is in our horizon.

It's funny you should say that. At my station now, things that we would have gotten in trouble for 20 years ago, aren't even addressed. I've been late more times in the last year than in the 20+ before, and nothing is ever said. They're just happy people show up. If I show up late, I change my start time. Just that simple. Lol.

dezguy

I'm just saying, it's not our job to get a fellow courier disciplined. What goes around, comes around. Eventually that person will get canned. I've seen it happen, where it takes years but eventually the chickens come home to roost.

You can do what you want but anymore, I just mind my own business and take my stops. If you're at your stop count, they can't make you take more.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There are 4 guys that call in EVERYTIME it snows and nothing is ever going to be done about it. Yes, it burns my ass

"When it's slick, call in sick". Sorry your ass is burning (try some Preparation H), but calling-in when it snows is smart career-wise. If you decide to go out and play in the snow, the accident will be blamed on you, so where is the incentive to come in and have a miserable day being a hero, when your company will immediately blame you if something goes bad...and when it's snow and ice, your odds of having a problem go up exponentially.

That said, if you have more than a couple of days of snow, you're going to need to come in, for obvious reasons. If it's just a day here or there, I'd advise calling-in.

"When it's slick, call in sick". Sorry your ass is burning (try some Preparation H), but calling-in when it snows is smart career-wise. If you decide to go out and play in the snow, the accident will be blamed on you, so where is the incentive to come in and have a miserable day being a hero, when your company will immediately blame you if something goes bad...and when it's snow and ice, your odds of having a problem go up exponentially.

That said, if you have more than a couple of days of snow, you're going to need to come in, for obvious reasons. If it's just a day here or there, I'd advise calling-in.

Maybe if your afraid to drive in the snow, then you picked the wrong career.

BigTex61

In our district, if you get stuck some were in the snow or ice and a wrecker had to be called out, that's considered a preventable accident.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe if your afraid to drive in the snow, then you picked the wrong career.

Not afraid to drive in the snow, bro'. Lots of experience. In fact, probably a lot more than you, in semis and smaller vehicles as well. However, if I drive for a company that charges me for an accident if I get stuck in someone's driveway, there's something wrong with the equation. That doesn't give me much incentive to go out and drive in the stuff, and it should be a heads-up to everyone else. That kind of :censored2: policy would never fly in a union company, but it's status quo at FedEx.

So, get your facts straight before you shoot off your mouth. Does UPS charge you with an accident if you get stuck in the snow, even if you're chained-up properly and are doing everything by the book?

No...so shut-up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not afraid to drive in the snow, bro'. Lots of experience. In fact, probably a lot more than you, in semis and smaller vehicles as well. However, if I drive for a company that charges me for an accident if I get stuck in someone's driveway, there's something wrong with the equation. That doesn't give me much incentive to go out and drive in the stuff, and it should be a heads-up to everyone else. That kind of :censored2: policy would never fly in a union company, but it's status quo at FedEx.

So, get your facts straight before you shoot off your mouth. Does UPS charge you with an accident if you get stuck in the snow, even if you're chained-up properly and are doing everything by the book?

No...so shut-up.

UPS will indeed charge you with an accident if you get stuck and they have to spend money to get you out or to repair any damage that you may have caused. If you are able to get out on your own, are willing to pay for the tow and you did not cause any property damage you will not be charged.

BigTex61

Last couple of times we were forced out in icy conditions, we all left, made 1 delivery, went on break and slid to Whataburger for breskfast. Told them roads to dangerous, and took all the freight back in. Screw them.

STFXG

Its nice being able to shut down when I determine its unsafe. My drivers also have the choice to run or not. No reason to put anyone in a dangerous situation. There's been times when the snow was crazy and I called the express driver just to rub it in their face that I was heading home. The job's not worth the risk sometimes. Express should give you guys the option, or offer hazard pay on those days.

UPS should deal with any condition. That's what the high wage is for.