Carol Tomé's 'better, not bigger' strategy is keeping UPS profitable

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Carol Tomé's 'better, not bigger' strategy is keeping UPS profitable - Stat Times

In June last year Carol Tomé took reins at UPS, one of the world’s largest logistics companies, as its chief executive officer. Seven months later and two successful quarters behind, all in the midst of a global pandemic, UPS, under Tome, is only getting better.

Consolidated revenue in the Q4 of 2020 rose 21 percent from last year to $24.9 billion and operating profit grew 26 percent from last year to $2.9 billion. This is the highest quarterly operating profit in the history of UPS with record profit produced in each segment. For the year, UPS generated record revenue of $84.6 billion with growth in all three segments. It had its operating profit increase by 7 per cent to $8.7 billion and generated diluted earnings per share of $8.23, an increase of 9.3 per cent.

It has allocated $4 billion for capital investment for 2021. About 50 per cent of that is for growth that includes investment in its healthcare logistics broadly besides specific capacity building for Covid-19 vaccine distribution. For the Covid-19 vaccine roll out, the company built command centres and invested in setting up two large freezer farms, one in Kentucky and another in the Netherlands. It introduced a new technology, called PS Premiere, a label that is put on the package which allows it to be tracked along the supply chain.

FEGuy

Bravo, Carol! Kind of makes you wonder what heights UPS would have seen had they allowed some outsiders in a long time ago. Fresh eyes, fresh ideas, record profits. Bravo indeed.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Bravo, Carol! Kind of makes you wonder what heights UPS would have seen had they allowed some outsiders in a long time ago. Fresh eyes, fresh ideas, record profits. Bravo indeed.
Your kidding right? We are doing nothing different. The cost savings probably all comes from suspended delivery guarantee. Shutting down the call centers. Etc We are a service company. Lets provide less service for more money. Great long term planning.

Your kidding right? We are doing nothing different. The cost savings probably all comes from suspended delivery guarantee. Shutting down the call centers. Etc We are a service company. Lets provide less service for more money. Great long term planning.
We still don't have a commit time on next day airsavers
Or second day a.m.

FEGuy

You MIGHT be right. Perhaps the highest quarterly operating profit in the history of UPS was because of suspending the delivery guarantee? Seems legit.

oldngray

nowhere special
You MIGHT be right. Perhaps the highest quarterly operating profit in the history of UPS was because of suspending the delivery guarantee? Seems legit.
You sound like someone who sits in an office and just looks at a few numbers but are out of touch with day to day operations.

silenze

But I assume FedEx is doing the same thing
So....
We are not competing with fedex anymore. We are competing with amazon. If i can get the same thing delivered next day by amazon what would you choose. I think walmart and all big shippers will eventually have to follow amazon and focus on the last mile of delivery.
Shipping items across the country from 1 or 2 warehouse is obsolete.

We are not competing with fedex anymore. We are competing with amazon. If i can get the same thing delivered next day by amazon what would you choose. I think walmart and all big shippers will eventually have to follow amazon and focus on the last mile of delivery.
Shipping items across the country from 1 or 2 warehouse is obsolete.
The world is definitely changing when it comes to shipping packages
Nobody wants to go to the store anymore

silenze

The world is definitely changing when it comes to shipping packages
Nobody wants to go to the store anymore
For the last 100 years we said nobody could replicate our delivery network. Now that delivery network is obsolete and we are competing with the pizza delivery guy to deliver your package

FEGuy

For the last 100 years we said nobody could replicate our delivery network. Now that delivery network is obsolete and we are competing with the pizza delivery guy to deliver your package
Competing with that guy and a lot of others, and making $2.9B in a quarter while doing it.