Center out of power again; no generator for 20 years

browned out

The power was out in our center for at least the third time this year today. These geniuses are spending millions on thats logistics, pas, edd, telematics, etc and still can't buy a generator for our district. I can remember working in the hub 20 years ago and the power would go out and over 400 employees would be sitting around for an hour or more. Even a small Italian restaurant by my home has a back up generator to keep up and running.
As the Guiness beer guys used to say; BRILLIANT

abc123

The building I used to work in was new and the first time the power went out in the building, they realized that the brand new generator didn't have any gas in it. And in order to put gas in it, they needed power. So we were out of power for around 2 hours. They didn't have us just sit there, though. We had to walk the packages from smaller package cars to bigger package cars parked close and they were shuttling them to a nearby center. And right when we were about to finish, the power came back on and we had to then unload the packages we had left and process them. That was an interesting day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
One time we ran out of food for the hamsters running on the wheel under our main belt. We had to push the packages down the belt while the center manager ran to Petsmart.

dillweed

some years ago we had an extended power outage in our area. They brought in some big old truck, very noisy with a generator that they hooked up to run the belts and a few lights. Sorry to those who are into details, I have no idea what sort of power it put out but it must have been huge! Glad they didn't need to abuse those hamsters.

bbsam

Staff member
When we lost power a couple years ago, we called the local Cummins dealer and they brought over a huge semi trailer sized contraption that had to be hard-wired into the buildings power supply. Soon after the electricians came out and installed what amounts to a quick connect system to attach a generator. Cost of generator rental $10,000 per week. I think we had it for about 8 days.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I worked in an extended center that had power issues too. PE could get us a nice Cat generator in less than 6 hours and have us up and running. The preload was the most important function that needed full power.

brett636

My building I work out of houses 3 separate centers and is the major hub for my state as far as packages go and it has no backup generator. Granted in my 10 years of employment I have experience only a handful of power outages, and only one of those lasted for over an hour.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Our Building lost power wednesday afternoon due to a tree crushing some power lines and power was back up later that night. However, yesterday morning (while the utility workers were trying to get the lines repaired) power went out AGAIN and didn't come back on til about 7am, so needless to say the preload was a bit behind. All us drivers had to load our own trucks (which made for some GREAT loads) and we left the building 2½ hours late

tarbar66

Our Building lost power wednesday afternoon due to a tree crushing some power lines and power was back up later that night. However, yesterday morning (while the utility workers were trying to get the lines repaired) power went out AGAIN and didn't come back on til about 7am, so needless to say the preload was a bit behind. All us drivers had to load our own trucks (which made for some GREAT loads) and we left the building 2½ hours late

And now the rest of the story:

Because the loads were better you got back only 1 hour later.

There were extra routes put in to take care of the customers and to help you work safer!