UPS to spend up to $20 million on its first India Tech Center

Scuba_Steve

Global logistics giant UPS will invest between $15-20 million to set up a technology centre in India.

This facility will commence operations in August this year and will have the capacity to house around 450-500 employees. The hiring process will start soon and at its full will hire 1,000 employees. UPS aims to operate the centre at full capacity by 2025.

Bala Subramanian, UPS EVP & Chief Digital and Technology Officer said, “UPS is committed to India and these centres represent our latest strategic investment in a leading economy that we see growing significantly in the coming years. Through these centres, we’re supporting domestic job creation and advancing skill sets through training and development.”

"Today we are able to do it across the globe such as in Europe and US. But our needs are getting faster than what we can hire. So why not actually build in India?," he said.

Read more at:
/articleshow/98440202.cms

anonymous23456

Is it a coincidence that India is a low wage country? "Through these centres, we’re supporting domestic job creation and advancing skill sets through training and development.” - this sounds like a campaign promise of the prime minister of India. It has nothing to do with the USA.

anonymous23456

Since 2006, IBM has been the multinational with the largest number of employees in India. IBM is very secretive about the geographic distribution of its employees. By most estimates, it has close to a third of its 288,000 employees (~ 100,000) in India, and it likely has more employees there than in the US.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IBM is now a :censored2:ty company. It is nothing but peddling low wage and low quality contractors.

Thebrownblob

If I call anyone in customer service that has an Indian accent… click…

Either I am about to be scammed or I will not understand them…
If your one job is to communicate with customers, of a different language, you must be able to be understood. Otherwise, you are completely pointless.

Scuba_Steve

It is not a "UPS facility". Its a commercial business park made for "flex space" for various businesses to lease.

And it is not a coincidence the largest companies in that city are all IT outsourcers like Tech Mahinda, TCS, Wipro, Infosys , Virtusa, Congniza, Accenture. I expect few if any of the people in these "UPS" facilities will be actual permanent UPS employees.

Last edited:

Karma...

I have no problems with any person who wants to work.......teamster or not teamster.....the proof is in the pudding I say