Clarification on Article 15 (Central Supplement)

km3

Apologies for bringing up an issue that's apparently discussed every year. My steward said basically the same thing about being "required" to work.

Unfortunately, he said that I can't get 2x pay for those days because the double pay comes from the holiday pay on top of the hourly rate that I already make. Since I haven't been here for a year yet, I don't have holiday pay, ergo no double time. I had thought that a "regular seniority employee" was just a regular employee (not temp, seasonal, etc.) that had seniority, but he says it's someone with one year of seniority.

It's kind of a bummer. I'm not so eager to work those days anymore, but I was sick and called in a couple times over the last two weeks, so I should take what I can get right now.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Apologies for bringing up an issue that's apparently discussed every year. My steward said basically the same thing about being "required" to work.

Unfortunately, he said that I can't get 2x pay for those days because the double pay comes from the holiday pay on top of the hourly rate that I already make. Since I haven't been here for a year yet, I don't have holiday pay, ergo no double time. I had thought that a "regular seniority employee" was just a regular employee (not temp, seasonal, etc.) that had seniority, but he says it's someone with one year of seniority.

It's kind of a bummer. I'm not so eager to work those days anymore, but I was sick and called in a couple times over the last two weeks, so I should take what I can get right now.
It's only the 2nd year that this has been an issue.
What region are you in?

tourists24

The way I read that (based on other areas in the contracts), "except as otherwise provided" is anything extra from the language that follows in conflict with that direct language. Not sure that means precisely Art 40. I am however more confused at the conflict of Section 1 and Section 4 language where one says you cannot be forced to work and the other says employees required to work. Not sure how that gets handled

km3

It's only the 2nd year that this has been an issue.
What region are you in?

Technically, I'm in the Desert Mountain region, but my union book has the central supplement. And that was the first thing I asked my steward about last night: are we or are we not covered by the central supplement, and he said we were.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The way I read that (based on other areas in the contracts), "except as otherwise provided" is anything extra from the language that follows in conflict with that direct language. Not sure that means precisely Art 40. I am however more confused at the conflict of Section 1 and Section 4 language where one says you cannot be forced to work and the other says employees required to work. Not sure how that gets handled
I challenge anybody to find "anything extra from the language that follows in conflict with that direct language" besides Article 40?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Technically, I'm in the Desert Mountain region, but my union book has the central supplement. And that was the first thing I asked my steward about last night: are we or are we not covered by the central supplement, and he said we were.
Then you are a "regular seniority employee" and will receive double time for hours worked next Friday, unless some other forward supplement says otherwise.

Were you hired off street or from the inside as a part time employee?

tourists24

I challenge anybody to find "anything extra from the language that follows in conflict with that direct language" besides Article 40?
you may be right.... Im just basing it on what I read and knowing why those words are usually added in to the language. Kind of like on our grievance forms when it has a blank space on the Article number violated, our forms have printed "and any other applicable articles" right after that blank. A lot of that would have to be determined by what panel rulings of heard cases have decided. Have grievances been filed and heard?

km3

Then you are a "regular seniority employee" and will receive double time for hours worked next Friday, unless some other forward supplement says otherwise.

Were you hired off street or from the inside as a part time employee?

I am a part time employee.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
you may be right.... Im just basing it on what I read and knowing why those words are usually added in to the language. Kind of like on our grievance forms when it has a blank space on the Article number violated, our forms have printed "and any other applicable articles" right after that blank. A lot of that would have to be determined by what panel rulings of heard cases have decided. Have grievances been filed and heard?
No grievances in my local, to my knowledge.
Most who didn't want to work, simply told them they weren't coming or called in.
I do know that there many air driver grievances awaiting a National Panel decision regarding whether they are "air support personnel" in regards to only receiving straight time last year, although the company characterized it as a "regular day", where we delivered ground and air.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Are drivers the only ones covered by this? I load the feeders on the midnight sort.
If they are running a sort in your building next Friday, and your local goes by Central Region language, I don't see why you wouldn't receive double time for hours worked?

Unless the company is asserting:

ARTICLE 15-HOLIDAYS
Section 5
There shall be no premium pay for hours worked on a holiday by
employees when their regular jobs begin or end on the holiday.
Their holiday is either advanced or delayed, but is nevertheless
observed and paid as a holiday.

What will be the hours of this sort?

Last edited:

km3

If they are running a sort in your building next Friday, and your local goes by Central Region language, I don't see why you wouldn't receive double time for hours worked?

Unless the company is asserting:

ARTICLE 15-HOLIDAYS
Section 5
There shall be no premium pay for hours worked on a holiday by
employees when their regular jobs begin or end on the holiday.
Their holiday is either advanced or delayed, but is nevertheless
observed and paid as a holiday.

What will be the hours of this sort?

Approximately 2250 to 330.

Bottom rung

My fitbit reads over thirty thousand. The tele doesn't count the bumps in the road.

Attachments

• 1447957689915.jpg
    1447957689915.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 110