class action lawsuit against UPS

DS

Fenderbender
This is a bit off topic but have you ever noticed how former drivers change when they become sups? Is there an actual course they have to take in intimidation?
We had a guy last week on vacation that ran into his sup in the mall,he begged him to come in the next day please please please
I promise you an easy day...they threw him into a new area with
40 stops too many. DUH
Like when you try to call in sick they say NO we NEED you.
Well I`m sorry but I`m still not coming in,hopefully
I`ll be ok tomorrow...I wouldn`t be calling in if I didn`t have to.
It makes me think that as hourly employees we are actually much better off because when we cant do the impossible and get our lunch in as well, the missed deliveries become the fault of upper management even though middle management gets blamed for it.
We should have a class action suit to get rid of PAS.

S

speeddemon

This is a bit off topic but have you ever noticed how former drivers change when they become sups? Is there an actual course they have to take in intimidation?
We had a guy last week on vacation that ran into his sup in the mall,he begged him to come in the next day please please please
I promise you an easy day...they threw him into a new area with
40 stops too many. DUH
Like when you try to call in sick they say NO we NEED you.
Well I`m sorry but I`m still not coming in,hopefully
I`ll be ok tomorrow...I wouldn`t be calling in if I didn`t have to.
It makes me think that as hourly employees we are actually much better off because when we cant do the impossible and get our lunch in as well, the missed deliveries become the fault of upper management even though middle management gets blamed for it.
We should have a class action suit to get rid of PAS.

No, its not a course in intimidation. Its called "How to become spineless,and no actual thoughts of your own, and to be a YES man".

oakland

The California lawsuit originated in our building. Many things have changed for the better because of it. Everyone must take an hour lunch that is recorded in the diad between the 4th and 6th hour of work. As the diad board says in bold lettering "NO WORK IS TO BE COMPLETED DURING THIS TIME", you put your starting time at the beginning, the board then shuts down but it will show a clock with the current time and how much time you have left, at the end of the hour the board starts up again and you put your time in and go back to work. It forced the company to reloop many routes to compensate for this. It helps customers when different drivers do the same route but they all have to take a lunch during the same time frame. If more cars need to be on road to make up for the lunch being taken well so be it, they should be on road anyway. I'm pretty sure we are still making money and a rest in the middle of the work day is much needed. We didnt work through our lunch during our time studies and the safety dept. always tells us to take our lunch. We don't have payroll problems over being written out anymore. As long as our benefits are paid based on 8 hours instead of hours worked our cars are going to go out full and we will work lots of O.T. anyway. That is built into the UPS business plan. The lawsuit was started because of the practice of the company taking an hours pay out of your timecard without making sure that a lunch was really taken. That is against the law. How many years has this been going on and how much will this cost UPS? Its like a grievance that never gets paid in full, they will pay some but not all, they win.

R

real deal

the law suit is about the 10 min brake 'after 10 hours of work' .
Nothing to do with skipping lunch. drivers deserve the money,and yes we
need the lawyers to get it. ups knew this day was coming!!!!!!
they got over for a long time. If you get money you earned it.

antimatter

The settlement is pending and should/will be finalized with checks issued in June. Settlement was for 87 million. One guy I know will get a ck for 19K. No kidding.

Yes, I get a piece.

A

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Oakland-----you say that it is great that you have to take a mandatory 1 hour lunch and your diad board is locked out for an hour-----but what about the majority of drivers who want to have the flexibility to get home an hour early on those special days to se their children's plays--or baseball game-----all the drivers that I speak to in No Calif HATE the mandatory hour lunch--because they now get home an hour later EVERYDAY!!

If you think that UPS will put on more drivers---don't hold your breath!! What would you do if you were a business owner and had a decision to hire another driver and immediately pay $1000 a month to the union for health and welfare(Benefits--pension) or do you pay your existing drivers overtime at $35 an hour??

Channahon

The California lawsuit originated in our building. Many things have changed for the better because of it. Everyone must take an hour lunch that is recorded in the diad between the 4th and 6th hour of work. As the diad board says in bold lettering "NO WORK IS TO BE COMPLETED DURING THIS TIME", you put your starting time at the beginning, the board then shuts down but it will show a clock with the current time and how much time you have left, at the end of the hour the board starts up again and you put your time in and go back to work. It forced the company to reloop many routes to compensate for this. It helps customers when different drivers do the same route but they all have to take a lunch during the same time frame. If more cars need to be on road to make up for the lunch being taken well so be it, they should be on road anyway. I'm pretty sure we are still making money and a rest in the middle of the work day is much needed. We didnt work through our lunch during our time studies and the safety dept. always tells us to take our lunch. We don't have payroll problems over being written out anymore. As long as our benefits are paid based on 8 hours instead of hours worked our cars are going to go out full and we will work lots of O.T. anyway. That is built into the UPS business plan. The lawsuit was started because of the practice of the company taking an hours pay out of your timecard without making sure that a lunch was really taken. That is against the law. How many years has this been going on and how much will this cost UPS? Its like a grievance that never gets paid in full, they will pay some but not all, they win.
God bless Attorneys and UPS'ers in CA, bacause the rest of the country was inferior to their rights. 87 Million - how much did the attorneys get and how much for UPS employees? Just wondering

canon

What would you do if you were a business owner and had a decision to hire another driver and immediately pay $1000 a month to the union for health and welfare(Benefits--pension) or do you pay your existing drivers overtime at $35 an hour??

$35/hr
1.5 hours (an hour and a half of overtime... equaling 9.5 hours total for day)

$35 x 1.5= $52.50 per day in overtime

5 days x $52.50= $262.50 in overtime per week

Assuming 4 weeks per month
$262.50 x 4 weeks= $1,050.00

It's a tough call... you still have to pay salary to the new guy too. I'd like to rephrase your question a bit if you don't mind:

What would you do if you were a business owner who cared about your employees having time with their family and had a decision to hire another driver and immediately pay $1000 a month to the union for health and welfare(Benefits--pension) so they can be at home earlier or do you pay your existing drivers overtime at $35 an hour and keep them out 'til after sunset so they don't get to see their kids grow and they have no family life outside of the weekends??

Yeah, that's a better question. Let the answers begin. :thumbup1:

Lawsuits were filed here in Chicagoland about 8 yrs or so ago. Members of the class action got around 2k, the filers of the suit got more.

daddaj

The settlement is pending and should/will be finalized with checks issued in June. Settlement was for 87 million. One guy I know will get a ck for 19K. No kidding.

Yes, I get a piece.

Antimatter as in Omar, is that you Brad?

Two of the three lawsuit initiators receive, $25,000 and the other receives $19,000 respective of their risk (very real) initiating the lawsuit. Attorney fees I believe were set at 20%, which is reasonable, imho. Yes, I also get a piece, and the chickens have come home to roost.

Smokin' Joe

helenofcalifornia

Rather.....Helen of California, you just won a slice of that class action lawsuit in Northern California, what are you going to do with your thousands of dollars???????? Me and my family are going to Disneyworld!!!!!!!! Thank you Teamsters!!

daddaj

Rather.....Helen of California, you just won a slice of that class action lawsuit in Northern California, what are you going to do with your thousands of dollars???????? Me and my family are going to Disneyworld!!!!!!!! Thank you Teamsters!!

Hi Helen,

Somewhere on this forum, can't remember exactly where, are drivers saying they won't sign and submit the mailed application for settlement share. How I hope that is true and convince their friends to do the same. Just more money for the rest. See ya' at Disneyworld:D

Smokin' Joe

daddaj

Oakland-----you say that it is great that you have to take a mandatory 1 hour lunch and your diad board is locked out for an hour-----but what about the majority of drivers who want to have the flexibility to get home an hour early on those special days to se their children's plays--or baseball game-----all the drivers that I speak to in No Calif HATE the mandatory hour lunch--because they now get home an hour later EVERYDAY!!

He's working under the contract, why is it his problem you and the supposed majority would rather freelance? Listen, everyone here knows the nature and hours of the job, don't come here trying to convince us, taking lunch is the main reason that prevents you from getting to special family events.

Smokin' Joe

UPSTeamster542

If you think that UPS will put on more drivers---don't hold your breath!! What would you do if you were a business owner and had a decision to hire another driver and immediately pay $1000 a month to the union for health and welfare(Benefits--pension) or do you pay your existing drivers overtime at $35 an hour??

The diad board isn't locked. In the right corner, there is an option to end your lunch.

Leftinbuilding

Yes, I get a piece.

A

I know of two drivers in our bldg getting over 15k each. Another at 14k. Me? A measly $3200.00. :cool: