Clerk work being outsourced/subcontracted?

ski or die

Ski or Die
I was in clerical for 30 years before retirement. I was also a union steward. Back in 1997, they tried to eliminate all clerical positions nationwide. First they attempted to move all clerical work to Bristol, Tenn. They told us we could follow our work. The first local whose work was sent followed their work. They were forced to work in house trailers. Our Business Agent would not help us at all. Built a network of stewards throughout the country. We worked together to prepare grievances. We bombarded our locals with them. All were forwarded on to panel. Finally, I was able to get a one on one meeting with our President, Mr. Carey. It was decided all clerical positions would remain at each local until each employee would retire, so no one was to lose their clerical position. As the work was removed from retirements or employees quitting, it was sent to North Carolina, working out of a former KMart. All non-union. Did not work to well, new employees had no knowledge of how UPS worked and many complaints from customers ensued. If these employees are still in clerical, unless there was a change in the contract, that work should remain. Also, employees in Louisville who were doing clerical work recently fought to join the union and President O'Brien stepped in to help.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I was in clerical for 30 years before retirement. I was also a union steward. Back in 1997, they tried to eliminate all clerical positions nationwide. First they attempted to move all clerical work to Bristol, Tenn. They told us we could follow our work. The first local whose work was sent followed their work. They were forced to work in house trailers. Our Business Agent would not help us at all. Built a network of stewards throughout the country. We worked together to prepare grievances. We bombarded our locals with them. All were forwarded on to panel. Finally, I was able to get a one on one meeting with our President, Mr. Carey. It was decided all clerical positions would remain at each local until each employee would retire, so no one was to lose their clerical position. As the work was removed from retirements or employees quitting, it was sent to North Carolina, working out of a former KMart. All non-union. Did not work to well, new employees had no knowledge of how UPS worked and many complaints from customers ensued. If these employees are still in clerical, unless there was a change in the contract, that work should remain. Also, employees in Louisville who were doing clerical work recently fought to join the union and President O'Brien stepped in to help.
@Future is a clerk, does a really good job to

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
What job are you talking about? Customer counter? Clerical work has to be done onsite.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

The Company has a special kind of love for Union Clerks positions, now they are as rare as Porters.

Did you retire under the IBT/UPS Retirement Plan or the Company’s ?

DOK

I’m a clerk in a small midwestern center. Maybe 40 routes in the building. 80% rural, 20% city, by area.
recently a friend who is TSG said they thought all addresses corrections were going to be outsourced…..done overnight, off-site, she thought in Pune, India….where they sent most of our TSG work, and call center (where the 800PICK-UPS is answered) work.

Has anyone else heard anything?

since last year, when they gave us ERA, instead of UDC, E2DC, the whole address. Correction thing has been slowly going off the rails. ERA is supposed to be “smart” but it’s not. And a lot of my address corrections are done when I get to work. When I asked, I was told that it was “automated”.

Please reply if you’ve heard some thing else.
Wiconi
How can an address change be performed remotely?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Teamsters Local 710

I could of ran into you at a JAC hearing in Chicago, around February 1994. Who ever it was handed me a pension print out from 701/705…100 dollars per service year, I believe it maxed out 3,000.

Last edited: