Clock out to turn in vacation request

celsiana

I was told by Supervisor I had to turn in my vacation today or I would lose it. I wrote the dates on a yellow sticky note and tried to give it to him. He then asked me if I clocked out yet. He wouldn't take it until I got off the clock. I've never been told that before. So I clocked out and left.
Thought I would call the Union Hall Monday to find out if it's really right or not. Has anyone else been told this?

tritese

tritese
I never clock out while on company business. Vacation schedule has to be filled out in a timely fashion. The first third has ten days, the second third has ten days and then the last third gets the last ten days of the month. This is assuming the vacation schedule went up on Oct. 1st. They can pass you only if the ten day window has gone and you didn't sign it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was told by Supervisor I had to turn in my vacation today or I would lose it. I wrote the dates on a yellow sticky note and tried to give it to him. He then asked me if I clocked out yet. He wouldn't take it until I got off the clock. I've never been told that before. So I clocked out and left.
Thought I would call the Union Hall Monday to find out if it's really right or not. Has anyone else been told this?

File a grievance on this micromanaging, anally retentive little turd. Do what he says, select your vacations off of the clock, and then file for the time. Even if its only for a few minutes of pay if you can force your sup to waste enough of his own time dealing with it he will get the message and start making different choices.

outta hours

File a grievance on this micromanaging, anally retentive little turd. Do what he says, select your vacations off of the clock, and then file for the time. Even if its only for a few minutes of pay if you can force your sup to waste enough of his own time dealing with it he will get the message and start making different choices.

Exactly!! The amount owed to you will be very small. So small that they may forget for weeks and weeks to pay you your adjustment. Then file for the penalty pay on top of that. We had a payroll shortage of $36.00 turn into over a $1,000 payday for a driver. Do not allow yourself to be treated that way.

obraindead

Not in 3
Don't be stupid. You do not clock out for that. If the supervisor ask you to clock out first again, tell him no with authority. End of discussion.

celsiana

thanks for your replies. I will file the grievance Monday. Exactly what should it say.
I'm also a Combo worker and I'm guaranteed 8 hrs. The Supervisor shouldn't have made me clock out before my 8 hr shift anyway. Right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

thanks for your replies. I will file the grievance Monday. Exactly what should it say.
I'm also a Combo worker and I'm guaranteed 8 hrs. The Supervisor shouldn't have made me clock out before my 8 hr shift anyway. Right?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if you have an 8 hour guarantee then what difference does it make if your supervisor asks you to clock out before your shift is over? Also, if you still had some time left on your shift, completing your vacation bid was, in essence, done on the clock as it was part of your 8 hour guarantee.

gandydancer

You're not going to get any money for your supe being an a**hole, but if they don't pay you 8hr for the day file for that. As you tell it your supe DIDN'T "make" you clock out, so you might not even win that. Next time, don't clock out before your guarantee unlesss you're ordered to or are promised your guarantee in the presence of hourly, unintimidated, witnesses. Next time anything like this arises hang around until your 8 hours are up THEN ask to fill in the vacation bid sheet. Don't clock out until you're done or until you're ordered to, and if you are, then file for the time. A grievance that doesn't ask for anything specific usually ain't worth piss.

I don't think I've ever been that petty about selecting my vacation (when I worked at UPS). Are you going to charge them for the time that you have to go home and discuss with your family which weeks you want to take off too? I just went in, put my little x's on the vacation calender and went on my merry way. Total time spent, less that 60 seconds, off the clock waiting around for my start time. You spent 10x more time and effort ranting about it on here.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream

Don't stress about it. Your manager is an :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: who only has the bottom line in mind. Feel free to file for the lost time. Don't even bother to bring it to his attention that you should be paid for filing vacation time because he knows better and is probably seeing how far he can hoodwink you out of paid time. Show him your not stupid.