CNBC Transcript: UPS CEO Carol Tome Speaks with Suzy Welch from the CNBC Evolve Global Summit

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
CNBC Transcript: UPS CEO Carol Tome Speaks with Suzy Welch from the CNBC Evolve Global Summit - CNBC

The following is the unofficial transcript of a CNBC interview with UPS CEO Carol Tome from the CNBC Evolve Global Summit, which took place today, Wednesday, June 16th. Video from the interview will be available at cnbc.com/evolve.

All references must be sourced to the CNBC Evolve Global Summit.

Suzy Welch: Well, delighted to be here with Carol Tome, the CEO of UPS. And Carol, there’s so much territory to cover, but I’d like to start right before the pandemic when you were in retirement after 24 amazing years at Home Depot. And you had looked forward to retirement, it said, but then you found yourself seriously bored. And along came this opportunity at UPS where you had been on the on the board of directors. And you started in and then suddenly, almost overnight, the entire world changed, it changed for all of us. But it probably didn’t change for all of us the way it changed for delivery companies like your own. And so where I want to start is with you coming out of retirement thinking well, this will be a fun new challenge and with a lot of experience under your belt, but then suddenly, the world – and in particular the world of your business – imploding around you and changing and ask you what that felt like and what were your first thoughts?

Carol Tome: Well, Suzy, it’s great to be here with you. And I must say this year has been a year that I never anticipated or expected. I onboarded in March of 2020. And I thought I’d be spending time traveling the world, meeting with UPSers, talking to our customers, you know, just glad handing and shaking a lot of hands. And within the first week of my onboarding, the world shut down. And we realized that in order to remain essential, we had to first protect our employees. So it was a mad, mad scramble, finding masks and gloves and hand sanitizers and changing our operating procedures just to keep our employees safe, so that we could start to deliver essential products to keep the world alive. We had to work with government agencies around the world to keep our pilots flying. It was wild. So there was no traveling, it was just about protecting our folks. And then I’m like, well, travel –

Fuzzy Brown

CNBC Transcript: UPS CEO Carol Tome Speaks with Suzy Welch from the CNBC Evolve Global Summit - CNBC

The following is the unofficial transcript of a CNBC interview with UPS CEO Carol Tome from the CNBC Evolve Global Summit, which took place today, Wednesday, June 16th. Video from the interview will be available at cnbc.com/evolve.

All references must be sourced to the CNBC Evolve Global Summit.

Suzy Welch: Well, delighted to be here with Carol Tome, the CEO of UPS. And Carol, there’s so much territory to cover, but I’d like to start right before the pandemic when you were in retirement after 24 amazing years at Home Depot. And you had looked forward to retirement, it said, but then you found yourself seriously bored. And along came this opportunity at UPS where you had been on the on the board of directors. And you started in and then suddenly, almost overnight, the entire world changed, it changed for all of us. But it probably didn’t change for all of us the way it changed for delivery companies like your own. And so where I want to start is with you coming out of retirement thinking well, this will be a fun new challenge and with a lot of experience under your belt, but then suddenly, the world – and in particular the world of your business – imploding around you and changing and ask you what that felt like and what were your first thoughts?

Carol Tome: Well, Suzy, it’s great to be here with you. And I must say this year has been a year that I never anticipated or expected. I onboarded in March of 2020. And I thought I’d be spending time traveling the world, meeting with UPSers, talking to our customers, you know, just glad handing and shaking a lot of hands. And within the first week of my onboarding, the world shut down. And we realized that in order to remain essential, we had to first protect our employees. So it was a mad, mad scramble, finding masks and gloves and hand sanitizers and changing our operating procedures just to keep our employees safe, so that we could start to deliver essential products to keep the world alive. We had to work with government agencies around the world to keep our pilots flying. It was wild. So there was no traveling, it was just about protecting our folks. And then I’m like, well, travel –

All happy talk and psychobabble Tomé has NFI what she’s doing.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
All happy talk and psychobabble Tomé has NFI what she’s doing.
She thought she'd be flying around glad handing and shaking hands....LOL
Either she doesn't know what "Glad Handing" is, or she is admitting that she would be insincere... Should we be impressed by the honesty???

glad-hand
/ˈɡlad ˌhand/
verb
  • 1.(especially of a politician) greet or welcome warmly or with the appearance of warmth: "they had been taking every free minute to glad-hand loyal supporters"
noun
  • 1.a warm and hearty, but often insincere, greeting or welcome: "get out your glad hand and go strike up conversations"