COLA and Catch -Up

Karma...

any truth in the rumor that there will be an catch -up adjustment in the pension amount as well as an annual cola increase similar to social security ?.....

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
any truth in the rumor that there will be an catch -up adjustment in the pension amount as well as an annual cola increase similar to social security ?.....

We really need more information to inform an opinion on that matter...

Are you Union or Company and do you work for UPS would be the first...?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Best not to retire too early. These things are less of a worry that way.

Karma...

I am management retired and obviously dont have any worries.....Im not brilliant but I was smart enough to get out of the teamsters.....I think Carol is doing a fine job cleaning up after the mess the good old boy predecessors got the company into......When the contracts negotiations come again I am ....Confident with Carol.....has a nice ring to it...

Karma...

it is taking longer than I thought but amazon and federal x will sooner/later be organized...its the most practical way for the teamsters to organize....it will make for fairer competition and level the playing field....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I am management retired and obviously dont have any worries.....Im not brilliant but I was smart enough to get out of the teamsters.....I think Carol is doing a fine job cleaning up after the mess the good old boy predecessors got the company into......When the contracts negotiations come again I am ....Confident with Carol.....has a nice ring to it...
The union should play the race card in negotiations. She will fold like a cheap suitcase.

DELACROIX

Since we are playing show and tell...By your definition "don't have any worries" means what. I know a little about your pension benefits under the UPS Retirement Plan. I presume you got half your base salary, what other perks they were offering when you retired?

Also by your own words...You just called me "dumb" because I never thought of getting into management and the only smart ones left the Teamsters because they did not demean themselves by getting their delicate hands dirty with hard physical work.

I hope Carol does get rid of the "Good Old Boys and Girls" that have been a lot of dirty business with their elitist pursue of climbing that corporate ladder. Really does she really want to know what her minions been doing over the years. I don't think so ... it is called "plausible deniability" or "situational ethics" going old school with you.

Shiftless

I like the part you post "I'm not brilliant"

You were in management and now retired yet not able to find the right forum such as "UPS Partners" to pose this specific Partner forum question as a well known member?

Smart enough to get out of the Teamsters? Boy is that debatable!

Karma...

actually, there are many paths and the trick is finding the correct path for oneself...If I insulted anyone it was unintentional and I apologize. It is clear that teamster pensions currently are better than management pensions in many respects with some notable exception....paying for healthcare is one and the uncertainty of the solvency and reliability of the teamster defined pension......I do not have those concerns.......I see the strong possibility of ups further scaling back ground operations in North America and concentrating overseas where the profits are.....labor costs and population densities are some of the reasons......the i.a.m. has a superior pension and is very very well run......both the teamsters and ups should pay attention and try to emulate. more r.t.w. states will further erode the market share of teamster membership.......consider that in general percentages in forty years union membership has gone from 40% to 10% of the workers.. not very good organizing results and given a choice many people are opting out......future harbingers for sure.those percentages are approximate and vary from area to area yet show or should show a disturbing trend.....what is does show is dismal organizing and failure to keep or convert states to closed shop states.....

Shiftless

First off! Glad you made it to retirement! Not an easy task the past few decades!

The path to management and the trajectory one takes has always been of interest to me.

I was lucky enough to have buddies who got me to come down and apply and never in my wildest dreams did I think this part time job would last or turn into anything, NOR would I retire at the age of 49. I have always been happy with the decision and outcome of that choice.

Starting in the early to mid 70's with all the expansion they were grabbing anyone with a pulse. Fortunate for me, two guys who had a couple years already in that were going into management made it clear to me that without a degree I would more than likely be stuck in operations. We would get together away from the hub and talk either surfing or motorcycling as we were long time friends. Watching their progression and those with out degree's in the area I was in, WOW ! Unless you were dragged along by the good ole boy system of management you were screwed with out a degree, six day work weeks seem to be the norm! These guys were spot on, attaining their higher education. This allowed them to stay out of operations for a good portion of their management career and live a somewhat normal life. They paid a price getting up the ladder, but left very, very well off.

Problem was that was just a few people, those with the ability to quit and move on did so! I watched some very talented guys get destroyed by evil management tactics. Some guys walked out with their heads up! Others? Some just didn't know when to say when!

Just a note: Not all retired teamsters have health care thru the teamsters. Some of us are still on the UPS Healthcare system.

What year did you start? PT or FT? What job descriptions did you hold as a teamster then in management?

It would be helpful for those who want a real life experience to read your path.

Management path at UPS is not for everyone was what I saw, and from what I hear its the worst it has ever been in operations!

DELACROIX

actually, there are many paths and the trick is finding the correct path for oneself...If I insulted anyone it was unintentional and I apologize. It is clear that teamster pensions currently are better than management pensions in many respects with some notable exception....paying for healthcare is one and the uncertainty of the solvency and reliability of the teamster defined pension......I do not have those concerns.......I see the strong possibility of ups further scaling back ground operations in North America and concentrating overseas where the profits are.....labor costs and population densities are some of the reasons......the i.a.m. has a superior pension and is very very well run......both the teamsters and ups should pay attention and try to emulate. more r.t.w. states will further erode the market share of teamster membership.......consider that in general percentages in forty years union membership has gone from 40% to 10% of the workers.. not very good organizing results and given a choice many people are opting out......future harbingers for sure.those percentages are approximate and vary from area to area yet show or should show a disturbing trend.....what is does show is dismal organizing and failure to keep or convert states to closed shop states.....

I also want to apologize..Really enjoy your retirement you earned it...

Your observation about UPS cutting back on ground operations is incorrect, ground will always be the main source of profits and growth. Air is just frosting on the large cake, particularly with the increased volume and revenue associated with people ordering on line now a days....

Corporate wants out of every defined pension plan that they have control over, the cost savings would be enormous. They already made their plans for your retirement plan that will not change your current status or benefits by freezing it or eliminating contributions in 2023..I believe that currently the UPS Retirement Plan has (18 Billion) in assets. By contrast the other major defined pension plan controlled by UPS is the UPS Pension Plan for mostly part time employees under the Central and Southern, it has (8 Billion) in assets with about the same number of (participants), I have a record of it being vested at (103.73%) as of 1 January 2018, any pension trust that goes over 100 % vesting rate has the ability to just cover their costs associated with funding without putting anymore contributions, basically living off the interests of their investments.

My biggest issue would be the inequality of monetary contributions over the years between the Management Plans and the Hourly Plans. When you bring up the possibility of the Company eliminating the Collective Bargaining agreement with the Teamsters that would be akin to Nuclear Warfare..It ain't going to happen. :nono2:

Remember also that the Pilots extended 2 year contract expires at the same time as the Teamsters, they are vested in the soon to be defunct UPS Retirement Plan the same as management. They have vested interest in negotiating out of that plan also, maybe offer a sweet matched 401K also. The UPS Pension Plan for mostly Part time Union employees is a money saver, first of all their benefits are basically frozen and are very seldom raised and also frozen at 35 years of service. I believe that this plan also will be on the table, just not enough Part Timers are staying long enough to become vested anymore and most of them would happily jump at a matched 401K plan.

Karma...

I started out of the u.s.m.c. in 1968....went to school under the g.i. bill and part time at ups.....did every single hub job.....wanted to go ft but at that time one had to quit and reapply to ups...there was no mechanism for union pt to union ft..that would come in the long strike 3 month of 1976....that was a bitter strike...it also meant a unifying nation wide contract with a few notable exceptions....it also provided as I recall a 1 inside to 5 outside ratio of hiring.. before that ups has complete freedom...so at the time I had so much time at ups yet zero options for friend.t via the union the only choice I had was to go into pt supervision......I dont often look back but if I could have gone friend.t. union I would have......ive met and worked with many great people at ups....however the quality of ups management today isn't what Jim Casey would approve of.a much different company now.....there is a great deal to learn from Jim Casey's way of management....much like Chesty Puller......for jobs in management in was solely operations....staff jobs dont really contribute much to the bottom line......its union and non union operations that are the core of ups....all the rest should be out-sourced ...if you are not moving parcels you are overhead and an unneeded cost.......I recommend that you read Jim Casey...Back in the day very meeting would start with an excerpt from either the policy book or from Jim Casey and others...Then we all said what we thought of it.....I would incorporate these in my P.C.Ms...often I would loan out my policy book an Caseys books to interested ( union) people......it was a different company back then.....Jim Casey passed away in 1983 and the gradual eroding began......every so often the books come up on ebay..well worth the read because they provide insight into the start and progression of the company...

Last edited:

Karma...

one last view....management should come from the teamsters. it provides common experiences and credibility...there will be exceptions. I was with ups as a private company not a common public company...a great deal was lost in the going to public......thats a subject for a future post....I will say that Carols Better not Bigger has a nice ring to it.......perhaps ups can revert back to united parcel service with the great parcel as its emblem

Shiftless

Company was different for sure on the 70's. Your comment on "common experiences and credibility" is spot on.

Casey's philosophy on the company and its people served the company well. The advance of technology necessitated
bringing in the tech to the company, which if hadn't been done we would be talking about UPS as a company that once was.

The 1997 strike and going public, it seems really put a wedge between employee's and management IMHO !

What'dyabringmetoday???

Obviously- lol.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I like the part you post "I'm not brilliant"

You were in management and now retired yet not able to find the right forum such as "UPS Partners" to pose this specific Partner forum question as a well known member?

Smart enough to get out of the Teamsters? Boy is that debatable!
Brilliant when it comes to using capital letters. LOL.