Colors, numbers and the greening of UPS

ROBO MOD

I'm a Robot
Staff member
Colors, numbers and the greening of UPS - Reuters

"This is so easy, my kids could do it," said the 42-year-old supervisor at United Parcel Service Inc.'s sorting facility serving downtown Chicago.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I don't think there's any better way to boost the morale of your employees, than to say this:
"This is so easy, my kids could do it,"
...let alone how this truly reflects the mentality of some ops managers in this organzation.

SO EASY A MONKEY CAN DO IT

we have heard it before when this all started:tongue_sm
it's still here, ups is bragging about it, shareholders are happy, so obviously something is going right, even though some forum member is telling horror stories about how ups will cease operations in 5 years because his package car in Mobile, AL has 5 mis-sorts a day.

hoser

Industrial Slob
My building does not have it, and may never get it..
i'm assuming you're in nyc, and i'd assume it would be rolled out first to a nyc center, pft seems to work in the downtown cores where drivers only go into <10 buildings. from what i hear, the issues are on the suburban routes, or medium density but high traffic areas.

Dand_E_Don

How does PAS differ from just looking at the address and placing the pkg in the truck??

It supposed to do the thinking for the person loading the package car, and theoretically reduce mistakes.

So far, from what I've read, it's reducing the time required to do the loading/sorting by about an hour in some cases.

It works by using "smart labels" which tell the loader which shelf and where on the shelf to load a particular package.