Coming in over-allowed

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
...... If there is only time to deliver air then that is your priority and any stops that you have to go back to would be duplicate stops.

QUOTE]

Upstate thats not padding stops. Returning to a delivery which had a time commit earlier in the day to delivery non-express packages is and HAS to be a seperate and distinct, read non-duplicate, stop. The way our trucks have been blown out the past year and a half there is no hope see, let alone reach the remainder of the packages for that address unless its RDR or RDL. IMO this is why all air is jackpotted in the 1000 section.

Untill its mandated that every truck is loaded such that the driver can walk through it, nose to tail before leaving the building and remains that way through out the day, making this a DUP stop is patently unfair. If you want us to be the most efficient we have to be given the tools to do as such. Bricking out P10's and P12 does not make that particular driver more efficient. It may be more efficient on paper or on a computer screen then say adding another truck to that area but for the first half the day the driver is drasticly slowed bown by having to hunt and dig out packages.

Just my 2 cents.

balland chain

Your center manager is trying to use fear and intimidation to get you to work harder than you already are. I would document the mis-loads daily as well as anything that is a delay. If he/she continues to ride you, I would notify your BA and file a grievance for harassment. Of course it it always 70 degrees and sunny at UPS so they do not understand if we are delayed. All that matters to MGMT is the numbers so they can get their Fu**ing bonus.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Deliver straight air and go back, it is not a duplicate stop. it is what you are required to do because of time constraints. Miss one when you are delivering, and find it later, its a judgement call, I usually count it if I spent a significant amount of time looking for it and found it in the wrong place. If it was my bad, I dup it. We have been over this many times. My answer on air and ground is correct, you do it how you want, if time did not allow its not duplicate.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If you are a bonus center it doesn't matter, you only hurt yourself, if you are not it doesn't matter coz we get paid by the hour anyway, so basically it doesn't matter.

averageguy

Thanks for the replies everyone,

So now my center manager is on this no 9.5 bit, as I go in (at 9 now because lately I've been refusing to touch this truck before start time) my truck is continuously blown out with the post office.. which adds damn near 2hrs to my day because of the sheer amount of packages.

Previously the post office was loaded onto a separate truck which was brought out to me around 11am by an air driver.. Ok great, without the post office 'loaded' on my truck I'd routinely knock the route out and be on my way back by 5. Now that the post office is on my truck for whatever reason, I can no longer do any ground with airs and my load quality has suffered greatly because of the extra 200+ packages on it everyday. Keep in mind that I'm in a p10.

So now because the post office won't all fit on my truck the little bit (maybe 10-30 or so pieces left over from the post office) that won't fit is brought out to me by a supervisor (because someone doesn't want the air drivers to do it anymore).

Now what gets me is because of the extra 200+ pieces that are loaded onto my truck I can do no ground+airs, no sorting the truck in the am, and because the preload sups are pressured to fit everything in they throw it all in and everything on the ground gets scattered. Oh and whatever comes down the belt after it (be it 1000 Pal.. 5000 Pal) is thrown in the back because it becomes impossible to load. So because of this one hiccup I'm routinely coming back to the building anywhere between 8-7pm. My center manager acts like I'm doing it on purpose and it's my fault. Even though I let them know in the AM before we even get on road that if they want me to make 9.5 I'll need help, of course no help ever comes.

So now, my supervisor told me that he's ready to begin discipline. I said let em. If anything this past month has made me into one of the most 'follow the method' drivers in the entire center. Speed is no longer my concern because you know what, when I tell you the reason I'm coming behind and you blame me I begin to care less and less about my OT. Which I might add has begun to beef up my paycheck. The target on my back is what I'll have to get used too.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

So now my center manager is on this no 9.5 bit, as I go in (at 9 now because lately I've been refusing to touch this truck before start time) my truck is continuously blown out with the post office.. which adds damn near 2hrs to my day because of the sheer amount of packages.

Previously the post office was loaded onto a separate truck which was brought out to me around 11am by an air driver.. Ok great, without the post office 'loaded' on my truck I'd routinely knock the route out and be on my way back by 5. Now that the post office is on my truck for whatever reason, I can no longer do any ground with airs and my load quality has suffered greatly because of the extra 200+ packages on it everyday. Keep in mind that I'm in a p10.

So now because the post office won't all fit on my truck the little bit (maybe 10-30 or so pieces left over from the post office) that won't fit is brought out to me by a supervisor (because someone doesn't want the air drivers to do it anymore).

Now what gets me is because of the extra 200+ pieces that are loaded onto my truck I can do no ground+airs, no sorting the truck in the am, and because the preload sups are pressured to fit everything in they throw it all in and everything on the ground gets scattered. Oh and whatever comes down the belt after it (be it 1000 Pal.. 5000 Pal) is thrown in the back because it becomes impossible to load. So because of this one hiccup I'm routinely coming back to the building anywhere between 8-7pm. My center manager acts like I'm doing it on purpose and it's my fault. Even though I let them know in the AM before we even get on road that if they want me to make 9.5 I'll need help, of course no help ever comes.

So now, my supervisor told me that he's ready to begin discipline. I said let em. If anything this past month has made me into one of the most 'follow the method' drivers in the entire center. Speed is no longer my concern because you know what, when I tell you the reason I'm coming behind and you blame me I begin to care less and less about my OT. Which I might add has begun to beef up my paycheck. The target on my back is what I'll have to get used too.
You already have the big target on your backside and management is threatening to begin discipline without a leg to stand on, as we do not recognize their production numbers.
Fight back and they will move on to lower hanging fruit.
File everyday they shuttle work out to you for supervisors working. May as well have a bigger paycheck as compensation for dealing with their bull*****.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

I don't know how long you've been driving, but your daily routine should ALWAYS be by the methods, by the book. This is a case where UPS's advice is very useful, turned on it's head. You know how they will talk safety, and tell you to always do this or that--EVERYTIME--just in case? Good advice, particularly when it comes to the methods. Do it by the book everyday, all day, then you won't need to worry about when they come after you and your job. There will always be days when you could, and can, easily take a shortcut to save time or avoid a hassle. Don't do it. Stay in the habit of doing things by the book.

While they are pressuring you about numbers, maybe even threatening you about them, that's not what will get you fired. If they want you bad enough, they will just wait until you make a mistake, and fire you for that. It seems like so few drivers do the methods to the letter, every single day. Another thread can debate the reasons for that, but it is true. And for the most part, unless it involves an accident or service failure, UPS will never say anything about it. But once the target is on your back, you better be sure you're working flawlessly.

A lot of drivers will moan about it, and say what a pain in the ass it is, but again, it is just a habit. It only takes a few weeks to get your methods in perfect order, but what torpedoes most routines is the shortcuts and lazy habits. Try it one day, no shortcuts, everything by the letter. Then start adding those days up. Like I say, a few weeks later, it will be your new routine. Then they can ride with you, bitch about numbers and harass you in every way you might imagine. That's ok, because when you start filling a file of grievances on them, you will be safe, knowing your methods are bulletproof. But you better be sure you're serious about it, because this isn't something you can just turn on and off for a few weeks at a time. If you do it only when they pressure you, I can guarantee that you will make a mistake, because you will be thinking about being perfect, instead of working like it.

Now, you WON''T be absolutely perfect, but if your methods are airtight, any mistakes that may happen, should be very minor, and probably undetectable by the man.

Does scanning pkgs help over allowed??? We have ups store around here and I use to jus throw everything in the truck and take there end of day and put total and leave...but now I'm scanning all there drop offs under special counts and jus what they process I'm putting in pickup field and I feel it's helping my allowance... Ya think? Or is it jus coincidence?

balland chain

Just blowing smoke. Stay confident your doing the job,even suggest to 'em to ride you. I fyour loads are as bad as you say they are, they won't. Doesn't do them any good to ride you if your not going to give 'em numbers. Ignore it.
If the sups there are like my former sup, he would go up and line up the package car I drove on the days he would ride with me...All other days is was a friend'n mess.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Some time back, our numbers were changed. Went from 60 over to scratch. I didn't change anything, they did. They can change their numbers anytime they want to, which is why we don't recognize any.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

SPORH. We can be disciplined on SPORH. That's what they seek to improve when they ride with you. Don't worry about pieces,miles, over/under. Work on your Stops Per On Road Hour. It is the one number actually measurable, that can be improved by how well you do the methods (methods that are meant to get you through your deliveries more quickly (getting the consignee to sign as soon as possible, like after you have scanned just the first package; not scanning bulk stops, or any packages in the car; drawing attention at the delivery stop, like sounding the horn and calling out "UPS!" to get someone's attention so you can get them to sign; etc.) Becoming proficient in these methods can help your SPORH. The purpose of a 3-day OJS is to observe your use of the methods and re-train where necessary. Over the 3-days if there is an increase in your SPORH due to methods retraining, it is considered a success. Thereafter, if your SPORH begins to notably drop (talking several days, not one or two), based on the OJS it will be assumed you are not complying wth UPS' policies and procedures, and discipline can be given. I have heard of a driver taking a. 5-day suspension to the national panel...and losing.

SPORH is calculated by dividing your number of stops (pickup + delivery) by the CENTER'S planned day; in my center it is a 9.13; with an 8:30 start that's 6:37 or 6:38pm punch out). Being grossly over-allowed is just a symptom pointing to a poor SPORH, which suggests the methods are not being followed. Methods don't involved not knocking on doors, or exceeding the speed limit, or even calling ahead to pickups to see if they have anything (that last one could actually hurt you as it costs you the distance you would have travelled, helping your dispatch time).

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
SPORH. We can be disciplined on SPORH. That's what they seek to improve when they ride with you. Don't worry about pieces,miles, over/under. Work on your Stops Per On Road Hour. It is the one number actually measurable, that can be improved by how well you do the methods (methods that are meant to get you through your deliveries more quickly (getting the consignee to sign as soon as possible, like after you have scanned just the first package; not scanning bulk stops, or any packages in the car; drawing attention at the delivery stop, like sounding the horn and calling out "UPS!" to get someone's attention so you can get them to sign; etc.) Becoming proficient in these methods can help your SPORH. The purpose of a 3-day OJS is to observe your use of the methods and re-train where necessary. Over the 3-days if there is an increase in your SPORH due to methods retraining, it is considered a success. Thereafter, if your SPORH begins to notably drop (talking several days, not one or two), based on the OJS it will be assumed you are not complying wth UPS' policies and procedures, and discipline can be given. I have heard of a driver taking a. 5-day suspension to the national panel...and losing.

SPORH is calculated by dividing your number of stops (pickup + delivery) by the CENTER'S planned day; in my center it is a 9.13; with an 8:30 start that's 6:37 or 6:38pm punch out). Being grossly over-allowed is just a symptom pointing to a poor SPORH, which suggests the methods are not being followed. Methods don't involved not knocking on doors, or exceeding the speed limit, or even calling ahead to pickups to see if they have anything (that last one could actually hurt you as it costs you the distance you would have travelled, helping your dispatch time).

Wrong. SPORH is not in the contract. You have been brainwashed, son. They don't give a crap about SPORH. They want you to recognize one of their fictitious numbers and get you thinking about that number on your drive in everyday. Sounds like it worked with you.

Short story. Years ago, when my package car management team was trying to fire me, they came after me hard and strong. My methods, as now, were flawless, but my over-allowed was nearly two hours over. They tried everything. I grabbed one of their reports one morning, and I noticed that my SPORH, out of almost 75 drivers, my SPORH was almost 17. Highest in the entire center. Yeah, thank you...I was as surprised anyone. I pointed out this to my combative center manager, and he was speechless. How, I asked, could I be such a scumbag, with perfect methods, and so over-allowed, yet be at the top of the center in SPORH? No answer.

About ten years later, I got a route in the middle of the city. All skyscrapers, mailrooms, huge NDA counts. In other words, this was a route that almost scratched itself. After a while, I joked with a sup about what a stud I was because I was under-allowed. He looked at me with a funny, worried look, and said, "they don't care about that, your SPORH is very bad, and they're watching you closely."

Moral of the story? Who cares about their #'s? They are a moving target. Concentrate on methods and the numbers on your paycheck. You'll never disappoint.