Compensation for time off after death in family

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
In my center yes, must provide an obituary. ON my brothers death I had to file a grievance to get paid, because I sent an obit to my immediate idiot sup, and he said he never got it. But he knew why I was off and didnt care enough to get me paid. They kept telling me next week, next week, next week. Pretty trivial to put someone through that.
The compassion of UPS is amazing.

shafner79

I'm a part time cover driver in Central PA. I have been with ups 2 weeks short of a year. My grandmother died this morning. Since it hasn't been a whole year, will I still get time off and be paid? Still waiting to hear back from my union steward.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm a part time cover driver in Central PA. I have been with ups 2 weeks short of a year. My grandmother died this morning. Since it hasn't been a whole year, will I still get time off and be paid? Still waiting to hear back from my union steward.

WTF? So I have to ask---if you don't get paid time off will you skip her funeral?

shafner79

? Its just a question. If I'm not covered, I can't afford to take off more than the day of the funeral. As far as her death, she has battled Alzheimer's for quite some time, and has gotten worse. So unfortunately we all knew this was sadly going to happen soon.

rod

Retired 22 years
? Its just a question. If I'm not covered, I can't afford to take off more than the day of the funeral. As far as her death, she has battled Alzheimer's for quite some time, and has gotten worse. So unfortunately we all knew this was sadly going to happen soon.

Sorry for your loss. It was just the way your post sounded that struck me as weird. Peace.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry for your loss and the comment posted by our village idiot.

While you technically are not eligible to receive paid time off to attend the funeral, your mgt team has some leeway on this, especially if you are just asking for the one day off. If you have to travel you may have to take some unpaid time off.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Article 29 Section 2 of the National Master Agreement grants you 2 days off (with pay); up to 4 days (if needed for travel).

Your regional/local supplement may provide for superior benefits in this situation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS doesn't care. When will people get this through there thick skulls.

My father passed away shortly before Peak a few years ago. He was cremated and we held the services at our convenience. I worked through Peak and they gave me the whole week after Christmas off, w/pay.

HBGPreloader

Sorry for your loss.
I'm in Central Pa too and, as far as I understand, there are no "qualifications" to receive bereavement pay other than what's noted in the contract.
So, as long as you have reached seniority, which you have, you should be eligible for the paid time off - as long as you were scheduled to work.

tacken

My father passed away shortly before Peak a few years ago. He was cremated and we held the services at our convenience. I worked through Peak and they gave me the whole week after Christmas off, w/pay.
That's great but doesn't UPS give a lot of drivers off the week after Christmas?