Conquering the road: UPS driver celebrates 49 years behind the wheel

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Conquering the road: UPS driver celebrates 49 years behind the wheel - Yahoo

As a package delivery driver, Pablo Sanchez, 70, says he's navigated through various situations when it comes to safe driving.

He's experienced being on the road near others who are distracted by their phones and trying to avoid nilgai and other wildlife during late night routes.

Sanchez said he's even experienced a buzzard smashing through his windshield that tried to fight him.

He says being a delivery driver involves long hours that some people probably wouldn't want to do, but he just happens to be one who does.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

As a package delivery driver, Pablo Sanchez, 70, says he's navigated through various situations when it comes to safe driving.

He's experienced being on the road near others who are distracted by their phones and trying to avoid nilgai and other wildlife during late night routes.

Sanchez said he's even experienced a buzzard smashing through his windshield that tried to fight him.

He says being a delivery driver involves long hours that some people probably wouldn't want to do, but he just happens to be one who does.
33 stops a day did I read that right @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
....................."His current route in Willacy County is only the second in his 49-year career and includes an average of 33 stops a day"

That's hysterical.Management acted like I was raping them with 85-90 stops a day

Est.1998

Crazy! The article said his route was from Brownsville TX to Rio Grande City.
According to maps, that's 100 miles.
Even with unpaved roads, 33 stops is way less than an 8 hour day.
Whoever gets his route when he retires should expect at least a 50 more stop add/cut.
I would love to know the pieces he has.
Probably deliveres out of a van.

Edit: i didn't consider it being a round trip. So it's about 200 miles. Following the methods and taking your lunch. Sounds about right. Good for him!

I thought @scratch retired

pkgdriver

Crazy! The article said his route was from Brownsville TX to Rio Grande City.
According to maps, that's 100 miles.
Even with unpaved roads, 33 stops is way less than an 8 hour day.
Whoever gets his route when he retires should expect at least a 50 more stop add/cut.
I would love to know the pieces he has.
Probably deliveres out of a van.

Edit: i didn't consider it being a round trip. So it's about 200 miles. Following the methods and taking your lunch. Sounds about right. Good for him!
It looks like it says the Brownsville/Rio Grande City was his first route. He now comes out of Harligen and
delivers Willacy County.

rod

Retired 22 years
33 stops a day did I read that right @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U
We had a couple routes that ran even less stops but they were 300+ miles a day with at least 100+ miles of rough dirt roads. A hundred miles of those routes included driving back and forth (50 miles each way) to the beginning of the route. They were TERRIBLE routes to have in the winter.

rod

Retired 22 years
Pablo must have had one too many 150 pound packages fall off the top shelf onto his head back when he was first starting delivery.