Considering retirement; need help/advice

BlazeSS

In February, I will have reached 11 years (part-time) with UPS. I know that isn't a long time, and before "normal" retirement age, but, I have been working a full time job and part time at UPS for over 4 years, and I've had enough. I don't want to just leave any benefits on the table, however. Would I be eligible for any retirement benefits? If so, how do I go about getting them. As I said, I don't want to just put in my two weeks' and haul ass, but, if I can't, or are bot eligible, for any benefits, I'll do just that. Thanks in advance, for the help.

In February, I will have reached 11 years (part-time) with UPS. I know that isn't a long time, and before "normal" retirement age, but, I have been working a full time job and part time at UPS for over 4 years, and I've had enough. I don't want to just leave any benefits on the table, however. Would I be eligible for any retirement benefits? If so, how do I go about getting them. As I said, I don't want to just put in my two weeks' and haul ass, but, if I can't, or are bot eligible, for any benefits, I'll do just that. Thanks in advance, for the help.
You will get a pension but no healthcare

BlazeSS

Yes and no. I have my issues with UPS, and I'll leave it at that, but, I do realize that I wouldn't be able to get what I can get at UPS elsewhere. However, it isn't enough to keep me with this company, anymore.

Shiftless

The pension will lock up till you are at an age to draw on it. May have a different value by the time you are eligible to draw on it. How old are you now? Also helps to indicate what area you earned these points in.

Shiftless

You won't be able to draw on this vested retirement till your of age, this is determined in your area where these years of service were earned. 65 years of age is common for you to draw on this. Who know maybe 62 in your area? I don't know?

The company in certain areas was and maybe still is offering cash buy outs to those who already left. Don't know if you fit that criteria so look into it. If you do get the option to cash out? Sure won't be in your favor.

Best to call your regional teamster conference retirement department for the straight info. Even your local May not actually know. Do your homework. Make sure you take a withdrawal card when your exiting from the union to keep you in good standing. Who knows? you may find other teamster work in your future.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Call your local and see just where you stand. Don't get your hopes up. With only 11 years in you certainly won't be living large when you are able to start drawing on it. Probably at 62 or 65---if things don't change for the worse (I'm sure they will though).

trickpony1

I have a full time job that offers insurance.

How much is this insurance costing you? As you know, at UPS the insurance is, essentially, free.

and became a clerk a little over a year ago. I work in Tampa, FL.

It's no wonder you're having issues. Could you bid back into the hub to get away from stupid customers at the counter? I'd rather load boxes than deal with people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Work 11 years part time and looking for a pension. Kind of negates how horrible this part time gig at UPS is.

Did you miss the part where he was worked both a FT and PT job for a whole 4 years?

To the OP-----you would be eligible to start drawing what will be a mere pittance of a pension when you turn 65.

BlazeSS

So, to try to answer some questions.

I'm not a customer counter clerk, just Group 2's/address corrections and my station doesn't have a phone, so I can't call anyone, anyway. Aww, shucks.

I know I won't make a lot pension-wise, but, I don't wanna turn down free money.

And, I am well and truly done with UPS. Over the last year, I have been repeatedly screwed over, so I've had enough.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
2C575459-6664-4070-BC5A-425A2B6113BE.gif
So, to try to answer some questions.

I'm not a customer counter clerk, just Group 2's/address corrections and my station doesn't have a phone, so I can't call anyone, anyway. Aww, shucks.

I know I won't make a lot pension-wise, but, I don't wanna turn down free money.

And, I am well and truly done with UPS. Over the last year, I have been repeatedly screwed over, so I've had enough.

trickpony1

If the OP has enough stroke to bid and get a "bad add" clerk job, I'm guessing the OP is pretty high up the seniority list.

I would still suggest the OP bid on another job that has less contact with people and see if the stress level goes down.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I give up my township gig next year I will start drawing a State pension too. Last notice it will be $17 a month.

UPS pension
VA disability
SS
State pension

I'll be a quadruple dipper. Eat your heart out suckers.

PT Car Washer

When I give up my township gig next year I will start drawing a State pension too. Last notice it will be $17 a month.

UPS pension
VA disability
SS
State pension

I'll be a quadruple dipper. Eat your heart out suckers.
Then why give it up? I thought you enjoyed mowing the cemetery and parks.

rod

Retired 22 years
Then why give it up? I thought you enjoyed mowing the cemetery and parks.

Told myself I'm going to be TOTALLY retired when I'm 70. The only thing I'm going to be riding after next summer (I'll still work this coming summer) is my Harley.) I have enjoyed it but its time to turn the mower over to a younger person.

PT Car Washer

Told myself I'm going to be TOTALLY retired when I'm 70. The only thing I'm going to be riding after next summer (I'll still work this coming summer) is my Harley.) I have enjoyed it but its time to turn the mower over to a younger person.
Hope I am still riding my Sporster at 70. In 8 years.

PT Car Washer

Riding it to work?
Not this month. Turned our motorcycle parking into 6 more reserved management parking which sit empty half the day. The closest 20 or more parking spots are reserved for management (closer then the handicap spots) while the hourlies drive in circles waiting for a spot to open up.