lasveagsups

I recently was offered a part-time warehouse/package handler job in Las Vegas; Mon.-Fri. 16:00 - 22:30 starting on 08/21/2023. I have a handful of questions, the first one being, how long is the probationary period, from what understand it is 30 working days, so is that 30 days from the date I start working or after orientation? The next question is, how long after staring until I can join the union? I spoke to a business agent with Teamsters, he advised me that I should also submit a 'Letter of Intent' (to become a full-time employee/driver) immediately on my first day of orientation, is this even possible, and won't it make me seem like more of a target to HR or supervisors to get fired if they know I am wanting to become a union member and am planning to be in it for the long-haul? Is it best just to lay low during the probationary period? Also, I heard that to become a driver takes seniority and requires the 'Letter of Intent" to be considered, I realize I have to work there for a certain amount of time before I can move up, if someone knows what that time-frame is please feel free to respond accordingly. I used to work at FedEX for a few months as a package handler but then found out no pension plans were available to new hires as they had be discontinued, so as far as the overall work environment and the demands of the job I know what to expect.

I am between the age of 38 and 42 years old and I want to put in a good 25 solid years of service then retire, I understand the importance of having a pension to live a comfortable retirement, I want to do my years as low key as possible and get out to enjoy my golden years, I am a hard working individual who does not get caught up in b.s. (or at least that is what I prefer). With that. being said, what is the estimated yearly pension credit for my monthly benefit, I heard it was around 185.00 per year granting that I have met the minimum amount of hours, plus there are other factors like current salary, age, etc.

Any advice would be helpful in order for me to navigate things successfully to my retirement age and pension collection. I know there are a lot of seasoned veterans that can shed some insight as to the procedural requirements, benefits, medical coverage, information on what to do, and what not to do, all information is highly appreciated. Thank you! -LV UPS

Last edited:

lasveagsups

30 days to train, 30 years to fire. You'll never satisfy them unless you wanna be a Dave
Pray to the saints you get unload
I was on the load side at FedEX, I always wanted to unload, especially with that conveyer belt readily positioned, it just seems like an easier gig for sure. At fedex we didn’t have to scan anything going in or out, only the 70#+, is it the same at UPS?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@lasveagsups : some thoughts about your questions (and don't take what I say as the absolute hard and fast truth, as I don't work under the same Teamster jurisdiction as you will be).
  • It looks like you fall under the jurisdiction of Teamsters Local 631, which you probably already know. So there is a National Master UPS Agreement, a Western Region Supplemental Agreement, and I believe the Southwest Package & Sort Riders which will apply to you. Link:UPS Agreements, 2018 – 2023 (these are the contracts still in effect until new agreements have been approved by majority vote)
  • AFAIK under that Rider, the part-time probationary period is 70 days worked in a 6 month calendar period. The full-time probation is listed as 30 days worked, with the possibility of an additional 10 days of probation being added or required. IDK if orientation/training counts towards that in your area. (the first day of orientation/training is the first day worked & starts the calendar period where I am). There may be 'black-out' periods where days worked don't count towards attaining seniority.
  • AFAIK you are eligible to join the union upon completing your probationary period ("attaining seniority"). Since NV is a 'right-to-work' state, the company has nothing to do with you joining the union. Once you have seniority, contact the union office. There will be a one-time initiation fee, and monthly dues. The union should arrange for automatic payroll deduction, and answer questions about that.
  • If your local bidding practices allow for it, then by all means submit a 'Letter of Intent' immediately. Find out if it is a one time thing, or if it needs to be resubmitted periodically.
  • Do you have the appropriate Driver's License?Typical requirement is for a 26,000 lb vehicle *NO AIR BRAKES* *NO CDL*
  • As far as 'requiring seniority', your Letter of Intent puts your name on a list that they will go down in seniority order. And they are required to promote 6 seniority employees before an 'outside' hire, where 'outside' means not in the union ('bargaining unit')-typically a part-time supervisor.
  • There may be other possible driving jobs to sign up for, until they get to you on the full-time driver Intent list. There may be part-time air drivers, and it appears your Rider uses 'Cover' drivers (you work as a full-time driver on an 'as-needed' basis). Do your research locally before signing up for those, there can be advantages and disadvantages to doing those.
  • As far as pension goes, it's complicated. But they use PEER 80 for full-time/PEER 84 for part-time eligibility. That's your age (plus) years-of-service. So if at age 60 you have 20 years full-time, you are then eligible. The amount is where it gets complicated; it's calculated from how much was contributed among other factors.
I guess I’ll get pass my probationary period, join the union, study the contract and fight my way all the way through until the end.
Make sure you ask questions locally-your shop steward or knowledgeable co-workers, or business agent. Start by reading the sort & package Riders, then skim Supplement and Master.

Good luck.

Last edited:

lasveagsups

@lasveagsups : some thoughts about your questions (and don't take what I say as the absolute hard and fast truth, as I don't work under the same Teamster jurisdiction as you will be).
  • It looks like you fall under the jurisdiction of Teamsters Local 631, which you probably already know. So there is a National Master UPS Agreement, a Western Region Supplemental Agreement, and I believe the Southwest Package & Sort Riders which will apply to you. Link:UPS Agreements, 2018 – 2023 (these are the contracts still in effect until new agreements have been approved by majority vote)
  • AFAIK under that Rider, the part-time probationary period is 70 days worked in a 6 month calendar period. The full-time probation is listed as 30 days worked, with the possibility of an additional 10 days of probation being added or required. IDK if orientation/training counts towards that in your area. (the first day of orientation/training is the first day worked & starts the calendar period where I am). There may be 'black-out' periods where days worked don't count towards attaining seniority.
  • AFAIK you are eligible to join the union upon completing your probationary period ("attaining seniority"). Since NV is a 'right-to-work' state, the company has nothing to do with you joining the union. Once you have seniority, contact the union office. There will be a one-time initiation fee, and monthly dues. The union should arrange for automatic payroll deduction, and answer questions about that.
  • If your local bidding practices allow for it, then by all means submit a 'Letter of Intent' immediately. Find out if it is a one time thing, or if it needs to be resubmitted periodically.
  • Do you have the appropriate Driver's License?Typical requirement is for a 26,000 lb vehicle *NO AIR BRAKES* *NO CDL*
  • As far as 'requiring seniority', your Letter of Intent puts your name on a list that they will go down in seniority order. And they are required to promote 6 seniority employees before an 'outside' hire, where 'outside' means not in the union ('bargaining unit')-typically a part-time supervisor.
  • There may be other possible driving jobs to sign up for, until they get to you on the full-time driver Intent list. There may be part-time air drivers, and it appears your Rider uses 'Cover' drivers (you work as a full-time driver on an 'as-needed' basis). Do your research locally before signing up for those, there can be advantages and disadvantages to doing those.
  • As far as pension goes, it's complicated. But they use PEER 80 for full-time/PEER 84 for part-time eligibility. That's your age (plus) years-of-service. So if at age 60 you have 20 years full-time, you are then eligible. The amount is where it gets complicated; it's calculated from how much was contributed among other factors.

Make sure you ask questions locally-your shop steward or knowledgeable co-workers, or business agent. Start by reading the sort & package Riders, then skim Supplement and Master.

Good luck.
Teamsters 631 is correct. Thank you for the link to the agreement(s), I will read through it to see what info I can find, I am assuming that once the new contract is ratified it will be available for review also. I would like to have a full copy of the previous contract and new contract once available, I will also make copies and retain copies of paystubs, tax information, and all communications to ensure that once I reach retirement age there will be no hiccups in regards to claims of lost records etc.

In terms of Licensing to drive, I currently have a NV Class C drivers license which allows me to operate a vehicle 26,000 pounds or less, I have no infractions on my driving record nor do I have criminal record, I do not use drugs or drink alcohol. Out of curiosity for a colleague, when they do pull your DMV report do they pull a 3-year or a 10-year report?

I will take your advice by talking to stewards, co-workers, and business agent, in fact the business agent as I mentioned previously was the one who advised me to submit the Letter of Intent on the very first day, I will if I can and I am confident he knows what he is telling me, but it sounded a little too soon, at the same time I do want to position myself in a competitive way to begin moving top the ladder ASAP.

One thing I failed to mention, with a UPS pension plan and being a Teamster member, does that mean I will be able to collect a pension from Teamsters in addition to UPS? Honestly, the things I am most worried about is the retirement, benefits package, and procedural techniques and rules to help me navigate through a successful career at UPS.

Thanks again, your input is highly appreciated. -LV UPS

lasveagsups

PT air driver. You will learn the DIAD and driving package cars and delivery methods in a more relaxed manner and not sink or swim qualifying. Also the pay will be closer to $37/hr. instead of $21/hr.
That sounds really good. Then from there could I transition into a full-time position for that particular role, or would I have switch/apply/bid for a normal delivery driver? It is advice like this that can make the difference in having a successful career, I am not lazy by any means, I am a hard worker and don't mind doing so, but if there are more "cushy" opportunities with a high rate of pay and less stress well by all means I am for it. I am looking for the highest rate of pay possible (of course), and a generous pension (as close as I can get to $4000 - $5000 per month) at the end of my career with UPS, I am determined to do what it takes to make that happen.

I plan on completing a minimum of 25 years of service and retiring at 65, with that being said I need to navigate the most realistic course to make that a reality. If anyone has additional input on pension payout vs years of service, as Hondo said from a previous response it can get complicated. I did mention my intentions in regards working at UPS and becoming a driver, as well as the 25 years of service and the age I plan to retire to a Teamsters business agent, he said I would be fine, he couldn't quote exact numbers because of the calculations involved but based on what I was telling him he said I should be able to get around $5000 per month. Does this number sound realistic or inflated? I always thought there was a basic dollar amount when calculating a pension based on your total years of service (ex. $150.00 per year credit x 20 years of service = a $3,000 pension check per month). From the way it sounds it may be more complicated that, seems like your age and other factors play a role in pension amounts.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
The Western Region is a Teamsters multi-employer pension plan only, no company plan. There may also be a savings/trust fund the company contributes to, but it don't think that amounts to much money, and there's a lot to read through to see if it is still in effect or only for prior employees 'grandfathered' in.

Pretty sure 3 years back would be as far back as they go on your driving record.

I recently was offered a part-time warehouse/package handler job in Las Vegas; Mon.-Fri. 16:00 - 22:30 starting on 08/21/2023. I have a handful of questions, the first one being, how long is the probationary period, from what understand it is 30 working days, so is that 30 days from the date I start working or after orientation? The next question is, how long after staring until I can join the union? I spoke to a business agent with Teamsters, he advised me that I should also submit a 'Letter of Intent' (to become a full-time employee/driver) immediately on my first day of orientation, is this even possible, and won't it make me seem like more of a target to HR or supervisors to get fired if they know I am wanting to become a union member and am planning to be in it for the long-haul? Is it best just to lay low during the probationary period? Also, I heard that to become a driver takes seniority and requires the 'Letter of Intent" to be considered, I realize I have to work there for a certain amount of time before I can move up, if someone knows what that time-frame is please feel free to respond accordingly. I used to work at FedEX for a few months as a package handler but then found out no pension plans were available to new hires as they had be discontinued, so as far as the overall work environment and the demands of the job I know what to expect.

I am between the age of 38 and 42 years old and I want to put in a good 25 solid years of service then retire, I understand the importance of having a pension to live a comfortable retirement, I want to do my years as low key as possible and get out to enjoy my golden years, I am a hard working individual who does not get caught up in b.s. (or at least that is what I prefer). With that. being said, what is the estimated yearly pension credit for my monthly benefit, I heard it was around 185.00 per year granting that I have met the minimum amount of hours, plus there are other factors like current salary, age, etc.

Any advice would be helpful in order for me to navigate things successfully to my retirement age and pension collection. I know there are a lot of seasoned veterans that can shed some insight as to the procedural requirements, benefits, medical coverage, information on what to do, and what not to do, all information is highly appreciated. Thank you! -LV UPS
You're getting way ahead of yourself

First you got to qualify and secondly you got to see if he actually want to do this job

As far as the pension goes that $185 amount is for full-time employees
Good luck to you