Contract Book for Management

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was just thinking back to when I was in the district in and around operations. I can not recall ever having a copy of the contract or even having read the contract.
Do any of management in operations spend any time reading and understanding the contract?

brownrodster

I was just thinking back to when I was in the district in and around operations. I can not recall ever having a copy of the contract or even having read the contract.
Do any of management in operations spend any time reading and understanding the contract?

I've had newly minted part time sups who did not even know what a union contract was.

Our office has a copy of the contract in a file cabinet. One PT sup of mine started reading it after a year as a supervisor. He was sick of the old steward barking at him and started studying the contract.

pemanager

I'm not operations management, but I have read the IAM agreement in its entirety. I've also read Teamster contract portions relavant to mechanics and porters who are Teamsters. Believe it or not, I also read the Teamsters 705's when Red posted it during the negotiations.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I wouldn't doubt that Managers eyes would glaze over just the thought of studying the contract book in its entirety. It would be up to the shop steward to point out the violation in question in order to get their attention.

It's not unusual for management to think that any valid grieve is a petty inconvenience.

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
Yes, I have a copy of it. Actually quite a few I believe. My copy is a small tan book that goes through the entire contract. I didn't know anything in the contract until I eventually realized that if you don't know it... the higher seniority people will walk all over you with contract mumbo jumbo. So i found that it is better to know the contract. After reading it through it, the biggest impression that I got was this... "I will not be responsible for anything but service, and even then I shall be granted 9 lives." Talk about accountability huh!

tarbar66

The only time I would see management with a contract book was during a greivance hearing or if a driver would hand it to them and have a section highlighted to make a point before filing a grievance.

over9five

Staff member
But shouldn't all management people have a copy of the contract? Shouldn't they have to read it?

It is an agreement between the company and the union. I would think that any management person who deals with union employees would want to know what the company has agreed to.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
But shouldn't all management people have a copy of the contract? Shouldn't they have to read it?

It is an agreement between the company and the union. I would think that any management person who deals with union employees would want to know what the company has agreed to.

If mgmnt knew what the Union and the Company agreed to then they couldn't get away with doing the things they do under the guise of lack of knowledge. I think it's called playing dumb.

Phlipper

If it was not for the union steward in my department I would not have one. Our labor department does not want mgmt to have one because we might interpret it incorrectly. I think that is a BS answer and they do not want us interpreting the contract differently then their "agreements" with the local BA (i.e. Feeder Driver Bump and Roll).

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It's really not that important in the grand scope of running an operation.

over9five

Staff member
It's really not that important in the grand scope of running an operation.
Perhaps not in the grand scope. But how about front line management?
I think it would at least interest a management person who deals with union employees. I would think that a professional would want to know what the company has agreed to. I would think it directly affects his operation.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think it would at least interest a management person who deals with union employees. I would think that a professional would want to know what the company has agreed to.

There you go using that thinking word again. That word is not allowed to be by either side when running an operation like ours.

ol'browneye

After reading it through it, the biggest impression that I got was this... "I will not be responsible for anything but service, and even then I shall be granted 9 lives." Talk about accountability huh!

And service should be the main thing we are responsible for! After all, that used to be our last name. If we could get management to focus on service as much as most drivers do, we wouldn't need as much in that contract as there is!

And as I recall from one of your other posts on a different thread, it was safety, then service, that you focused on in your position! Kind of hypocritical to gig us for wanting the same thing isn't it?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Perhaps not in the grand scope. But how about front line management?
I think it would at least interest a management person who deals with union employees. I would think that a professional would want to know what the company has agreed to. I would think it directly affects his operation.
Most of what comes into play is "word of mouth" ... I supervised front-line union employees and there were only 10 or so rules that I had to keep in mind. Of course, that was in Georgia (not Chicago) and pre-1997 - I understand it probably is more important now (more adversarial) and depending on where you are.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Most of what comes into play is "word of mouth" ... I supervised front-line union employees and there were only 10 or so rules that I had to keep in mind. Of course, that was in Georgia (not Chicago) and pre-1997 - I understand it probably is more important now (more adversarial) and depending on where you are.

I'd agree that it depends on where you are too, although not drawn by any state boundaries. It seems more like word of mouth rules where there is little belief that there is a source for the actual language (the book) and that the word being represented by anyone in authority is the contract language.

UPS unintentionally makes good Teamsters out of those who finally question the authenticity of what they are told is the reason for a particular course of action that they find questionable. Sometimes it is the result of management contract unfamiliarity, sometimes it's the result of management contract familiarity and a desire to circumvent it.