Contract Deja vu - "Robin Hood in Reverse"

InsideUPS

With all the "contract tension" in the air, I thought I would present some "contract deja vu" to "light"en things up a bit. I've saved all my contract books since becoming a steward in 1987. Our contract has gone from 102 pages in 1987 to 172 pages with the current contract.

The questions we should be asking ourselves as Union members: 1) "Are all UPS members of the Teamsters represented fairly and equally?" If not, 2) what justification is there for the inequities in the bargaining process?

By Definition:

labor union (American English) is an organization of workers who have banded together to achieve common goals such as protecting the integrity of its trade, achieving higher pay, increasing the number of employees an employer hires, and better working conditions. The trade union, through its leadership, bargains with the employer on behalf of union members (rank and file members) and negotiates labour contracts (collective bargaining) with employers. The most common purpose of these associations or unions is "maintaining or improving the conditions of their employment".[SUP][1][/SUP] This may include the negotiation of wages, work rules, complaint procedures, rules governing hiring, firing and promotion of workers, benefits, workplace safety and policies.

Page 82 of the 1987-1990 contract book:

1) Part-time employees hired on or after 7/2/82 and prior to 8/1/83:

Preloader-Sorter 8/1/87 $11.18 All Others 8/1/87 $10.18

5) (c) Part-time employees hired on or after 8/1/87 shall be paid in accordance with the following:

Preloader-Sorter Start $9.00
All Others Start $8.00 vs. CURRENT Tentative Agreement - $10.00 ($2.00 increase in 26 Years = 8 CENTS per YEAR)

Page 53 of the 1987-1990 contract book:

Section 2 - Full-time New Hire Wage Progression

Seniority Date plus two (2) years = 100% vs. CURRENT Tentative Agreement - Seniority Date plus FOUR (4) years = 100%

Page 89 of the 1987-1990 contract book:

Health Welfare and Pensions:

Section 7 - The Employer will provide full coverage for part-time employees equal in benefits to those of the full-time employees in their area. ....... Dental and vision coverage shall be effective six (6) months from the employee's seniority date.

vs. Current Tentative Agreement: Part-time employees are required to work 12 months to receive health and welfare benefits.

Summary - The irony of being in the Union is that it seems to increasingly parallel the Republican concepts that are demonized by the Democratic party. "Robin Hood in Reverse"...... or as Obama referred to it: "Romney Hood"...
Obama On Romney's Tax Plan: "Robin Hood In Reverse, It's Romney Hood" | RealClearPolitics

Contract Books2R.jpgContract Books2-1R.jpg
Contract Books2R.jpg
Contract Books2-1R.jpg

klein

Für Meno :)
You are unionized and sorry to say that the old timers always looked out for themselves in union contracts.
Other countries such as Canada, which is also under the Teamsters union, have less maximum pay for long-term employees $28/hr), but a great starting wage for new part-timers ($14 +/hr).
I remember when Canada Safeway went on strike, it was actually mostly the full-timers that fought for higher wages for the new part-timer hireries.
It's up to you "brothers & sisters" to protect everyone under the contract, and make sure a fair days work is a fair days pay for EVERYONE !

InsideUPS

I remember seeing those things laying around ... I never knew what they were!

Not only you Hoaxster.... but also about 50% or more of UPS Teamster members... It's amazing how many people never have taken the time to actually read their contract..... most Brown Cafe members seem to be an exception

Understanding and interpreting the contract is no easy task. It's full of vaguerities and seemingly contradictory language from National Master to the Supplements and Riders....

P.S... You most likely saw these lying on a operations managers desk next to a bottle of aspirin or Tylenol....

Inthegame

With all the "contract tension" in the air, I thought I would present some "contract deja vu" to "light"en things up a bit. I've saved all my contract books since becoming a steward in 1987. Our contract has gone from 102 pages in 1987 to 172 pages with the current contract.

The questions we should be asking ourselves as Union members: 1) "Are all UPS members of the Teamsters represented fairly and equally?" If not, 2) what justification is there for the inequities in the bargaining process?

Summary - The irony of being in the Union is that it seems to increasingly parallel the Republican concepts that are demonized by the Democratic party. "Robin Hood in Reverse"...... or as Obama referred to it: "Romney Hood"...
Obama On Romney's Tax Plan: "Robin Hood In Reverse, It's Romney Hood" | RealClearPolitics

Nothing about being in a union is parallel to any Republican concept. Do you, in your wildest dreams, think life would be better at UPS without the IBT? And to answer your questions yes, as a steward you bet your a** I treat ALL Teamsters fairly and equally. And any inequities in the "bargaining process" have been brought to you by those same Republicans you're inanely trying to compare Unions with. I'm still struggling to find any point in this post.

InsideUPS

Nothing about being in a union is parallel to any Republican concept. Do you, in your wildest dreams, think life would be better at UPS without the IBT? And to answer your questions yes, as a steward you bet your a** I treat ALL Teamsters fairly and equally. And any inequities in the "bargaining process" have been brought to you by those same Republicans you're inanely trying to compare Unions with. I'm still struggling to find any point in this post.

First, no mention in my OP whatsoever that "life would be better at UPS without the IBT"...

Second, no mention whatsoever in my OP did I question your treatment of coworkers as a steward.

Third, your inference that inequities exist in the bargaining process is blamed on Republicans? Really?

Fourth, some people just seem to struggle in life more than others...

Inthegame

First, no mention in my OP whatsoever that "life would be better at UPS without the IBT"...

Second, no mention whatsoever in my OP did I question your treatment of coworkers as a steward.

Third, your inference that inequities exist in the bargaining process is blamed on Republicans? Really?

Fourth, some people just seem to struggle in life more than others...

This is silly. You post concocted questions union members need to ask laced with inference and premise and then you accuse me of "inference"?
I agree some folks struggle with life, I post on BC to help them see a bit more clearly.