Could use some advice

U

ups_daveman

I am between a rock and a hard place. HR contacted my manager and discussed my personality at the work place. He told them that my behavior was fine and I did not have any issues. On the other hand we have an anonymous person who called the hot line and said that I was I violent, threatening, and intimidating. Because these are considered threats and as being violence in the work place I have been written up and have to go to several classes. Does this seem fair or don't you think HR should do their job for a change and do some research? Any advice is good advice.

U

ups_vette

daveman..

Find out who ratted on you and beat the crap out of him.

O

ok2bclever

That's hilarious 'vette.
biggrin.gif

But probably not what daveman was looking for.

Is UPS paying for the classes and the time you have to put into them (wages)?

I'd also check into filing a grievance on this if you truly have not been harrassing someone.

You want to establish paperwork showing you are totally disagreeing with these charges as there is nothing stopping the person from filing further charges at any time in the future as this could lead to actual termination charges.

I agree that the foundation of UPS's policy leaves any employee wide open to false accusations form employees with no integrity, but they have to consider each charge to be serious with merit or face potential litigation.

T

traveler

daveman,

Hopefully you are on good terms with your manager and it does seem that way noting your post. I would ask him to write his opinion on this incident and have it added to your file. If it's okay with him, I would also keep a copy for myself.

ups vette

<font size="+1">Loved your answer too!
clapbounce.gif
</font>

G

gman

Maybe the first question should be does anybody or group of people have any basis. I know there have been times people could turn me in for such actions. Whats a passing comment by you may be taken personally by more timid folks. And it may be something your boss has never experienced from you. I didn't see you do anything either but that doesn't mean you didn't go off on someone.

No offense but is there any justification? No need to reply but it is relevant. And it's nice to see your manager stick up for you instead of convict you.

P

parecasa

Daveman,
If they really had something on you they would have terminated you for workplace violence. The HR had to handle this somehow so they wrote you up. Another worthless piece of wasted paper by UPS. Check work your business agent on this one.

T

toonertoo

It is so sad in the workplace anymore, that people are so easily offened or just like to stir up trouble against a fellow employee. Now for a truly violent person who actually invokes fear, then I guess it is a necessary rule. I have never seen these people last at UPS and thats a good thing. And it was usually a group complaint, and repetitive complaints of the smae nature with witnesses. But to have someone lose their cool, when all would be fine the next time you saw them it is ludicrous. And sets people up for problems, on a he said or she said basis, is wrong. With no witnesses you are guilty without a trial.
Same with sexual harrassment. You cannot even compliment someone or you could be sexually harrassing them. What a crock, how did we all survive, before all these rules were in place? As if life isnt stressful enough. No wonder people dont communicate anymore, and seem standoff(ish). Around any corner could be the next <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font> trying to screw up your day.

(Message edited by toonertoo on August 25, 2004)

O

ohioclerk

Add to the list another offense that can get you fired without progression. This is a good rule to prevent violence or harassment in the workplace, but when do you draw the line, it can get abusive and selective in who they want to terminate. Bottom line if you got a problem with an fellow employee, talk to them first, if that doesn't fix it go to the union let them settle it. From previous incidents heard of like this generally they are young employees who can't keep their tempers.

Noted before that the workplace is affected, Big brother is listening and they are your fellow employees, and some with a ax to grind. Secret to keep this happening to you is to go to work, keep your mouth shut, don't communicate with anybody, punch out, go home. Have fun!

O

over9five

"Any advice is good advice."

You're right....Go with Vettes advice!

K

kilter04

DON'T YOU HAVE A UNION STEWART? WAS HE WITH YOU WHEN YOU TALKED TO YOUR MANAGER? WRITE A GRIEVANCE AND MAKE THEM TELL YOU WHO IT WAS THAT CALLED, AND THEN LET YOUR BUSINESS AGENT AND STEWART TAKE CARE OF IT. ALWAYS HAVE A REPRESENTATIVE WITH YOU WHEN DISCUSSING YOUR JOB PERFORMANCE OR ATTITUDE. NO EXCEPTIONS/////

O

ok2bclever

If they have already filed a violence/harassment charge against you,I cannot agree with "if you got a problem with an fellow employee, talk to them first".

You should not initiate any contact with that individual as that can be construed as continued threatening/harassment, etc. action and get you in seriously deep water.

You should not have any unnecessary contact with that individual or even discuss this with other fellow employees as this too can open you up to further charges.

I know this must be frustrating if you are innocent, but the onus is truly on you, it is hard to defend against a negative charge as it is primarily based on the individual's perception that is filing it and not the reality.

Yeah, life is not fair.

<u>Step carefully when involved in this subject.</u>

E

ezrider

Daveman

That's a tough deal.The burden of proof unfortunately lies on the accused most often in your situation.I kind of like Traveler's suggestion.If your manager would actually do that,I'd say have him do it and then just be the best damn worker in the place.Just how "anonymous" is this "victim" by the way?Doesn't HR have to at least have some proof that this person works at UPS?

Sun Tzu's The Art Of War states that if one "sits by the edge of the river long enough,one will see the body of his enemy come floating by".Be patient because whoever did trump up this baseless charge on you may be counting on his/her ability to provoke you into "going postal".Don't give them that satisfaction and in due time they will try to pull something even dumber and the suits will call them on the bluff.File this in the "Sometimes reality sucks" folder and everyday that goes by that you demonstrate that you won't let this beat you up is just more proof to the office that the accuser is lying.Time is your best ally and you have all the time in the world.

Play this right and eventually you will win without having to fire a shot.Don't degrade yourself by going to the low level that "anonymous" has.