Cover Driver Bid Process

AKCoverMan

Does your center have a process for cover drivers to bid on routes for the following week that are known to be vacant I.e. the bid driver is on vacation? I’m looking for language in a local rider that talks about this, or at least information on how that process works in your area.

Thanks!

charm299

Does your center have a process for cover drivers to bid on routes for the following week that are known to be vacant I.e. the bid driver is on vacation? I’m looking for language in a local rider that talks about this, or at least information on how that process works in your area.

Thanks!
Yes

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Thanks!
How does it work in your area?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Article 3 Section 18 in the Central Region Supplement:

Section 18

Each local may elect to follow this procedure for cover driver work assignment or continue the practice that presently exists in their local union area. Bid coverage drivers shall be used to fill absenteeism, vacations, employees’ time off on disability or worker’s compensation, overflow work and volume fluctuations. The Employer shall determine how many coverage jobs are needed in each package center in a building. This number of bid coverage positions will not be less than thirty percent (30%) of package car drivers not holding a permanent bid area in that center. This provision is not intended to reduce the number of bid coverage positions. These coverage jobs and any non-bid areas that run on a regular basis will be offered to the non-bid guaranteed employees in seniority order, as described in Article 12, Section 1, of this Supplemental Agreement, within that center. This area will then become their permanent area or job. Any area or coverage job, as described above that has not been selected shall be assigned. Coverage work that will be in existence for a full week shall be selected each Friday by the coverage drivers in seniority order in that center. In the event an employee elects work that will be in existence for more than one (1) week, they shall be required to perform that work for the duration of its existence. When coverage work is not available on a weekly basis, cover drivers will work as directed.

Last edited:

AKCoverMan

here cover drivers can not bid on the weekly vacant routes only FT utility drivers.

Interesting that a utility is ahead of a full time there. Here, a “utility” is someone with a regular PT job like preload or air ramp who is qualified to drive and can be borrowed by package to drive only after full time driver list is exhausted. Utilities have no guarantee and no 9.5 protection.

A “cover driver” here is a regular full time package car driver who just hasn't bid a route yet. The problem is, for cover drivers still in progression, they can get dispatched different route every day even when bid routes are vacant all week thereby making them ineligible for 9.5 rules.

542thruNthru

Interesting that a utility is ahead of a full time there. Here, a “utility” is someone with a regular PT job like preload or air ramp who is qualified to drive and can be borrowed by package to drive only after full time driver list is exhausted. Utilities have no guarantee and no 9.5 protection.

A “cover driver” here is a regular full time package car driver who just hasn't bid a route yet. The problem is, for cover drivers still in progression, they can get dispatched different route every day even when bid routes are vacant all week thereby making them ineligible for 9.5 rules.

Here a cover driver is PT and a utility driver is a RPCD with no bid route. So pretty much the opposite.