No Work for PT Air Drivers Peak ‘23

NinjaSox

Hello all,
I am a PT Bid EAM driver in the Southern Supplement. This post is regarding this past peak season.
In the past years, our center has allowed us to run our own built ground routes every day during peak season. The new contract states that PT inside employees now have rights to PVD/SSD work before UPS can hire outside contractors. In my opinion that’s a major win for our inside PT’s, however, UPS is now trying to force us air drivers in my center to become PVD/SSD at a MUCH LOWER pay rate than what we get paid to do air. They did not allow us to work hardly any extra past our guaranteed 3.5 hours, because “no work was available.” Even besides ground, we were not permitted to run any extra air that was left at the building as the supervisors were giving it to outside PVD/SSD contractors. Upper management claimed we did not sign up to be SSD’s (why would we? driving our own car for nearly half the rate?), and we are not cover drivers, so they are not obligated to give us anything. I never wish to mess up money opportunities of a fellow Teamster, but they were hiring 60+ PVD/SSD’s off the street and telling me to go home. They allowed the FT 22.3 Air drivers to run ground routes every day, but the contract language is the same for all air drivers, (a.k.a, nearly nothing.) I have filed on a variety of different articles and topics through Nov-Dec.
Has anyone else fallen into this scenario this past peak season? I’m just looking for other’s stories and/or advice on my current topic. The contract strongly emphasizes “inside” employees when it comes to SSD language, and says absolutely nothing about air drivers being allowed/not allowed to work extra during peak. The local Union is not exactly “supporting” me on this matter.

NinjaSox

Pretty sure UPS didn't use any SSD contractors. All SSDs should be employees.
I can personally assure you that majority of these SSD’s were not on preload nor night sort
What are they telling you?
They’re telling me that we aren’t obligated to anything other than our 3.5 guarantee. I understand we’re air drivers, but the company uses us to run routes throughout the year when they’re in a bind. The contract says that UPS is obligated to utilize every union employee before hiring outside seasonal help.

Brown Down

I can personally assure you that majority of these SSD’s were not on preload nor night sort

They’re telling me that we aren’t obligated to anything other than our 3.5 guarantee. I understand we’re air drivers, but the company uses us to run routes throughout the year when they’re in a bind.
And the union should be putting a stop to that asap. Were you at least being payed ground wages? I get the bind thing but staffing is their problem and using different classifications is NOT a fix. Union should have put a stop to that a long time ago.

The contract says that UPS is obligated to utilize every union employee before hiring outside seasonal help.
They also probably had sign up sheets to be helpers/ssds correct? So if you didn't sign up and expect to do it as an air driver it looks like you might be :censored2: out of luck on this one. The company found a cheaper solution that was contractually correct.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Hello all,
I am a PT Bid EAM driver in the Southern Supplement. This post is regarding this past peak season.
In the past years, our center has allowed us to run our own built ground routes every day during peak season. The new contract states that PT inside employees now have rights to PVD/SSD work before UPS can hire outside contractors. In my opinion that’s a major win for our inside PT’s, however, UPS is now trying to force us air drivers in my center to become PVD/SSD at a MUCH LOWER pay rate than what we get paid to do air. They did not allow us to work hardly any extra past our guaranteed 3.5 hours, because “no work was available.” Even besides ground, we were not permitted to run any extra air that was left at the building as the supervisors were giving it to outside PVD/SSD contractors. Upper management claimed we did not sign up to be SSD’s (why would we? driving our own car for nearly half the rate?), and we are not cover drivers, so they are not obligated to give us anything. I never wish to mess up money opportunities of a fellow Teamster, but they were hiring 60+ PVD/SSD’s off the street and telling me to go home. They allowed the FT 22.3 Air drivers to run ground routes every day, but the contract language is the same for all air drivers, (a.k.a, nearly nothing.) I have filed on a variety of different articles and topics through Nov-Dec.
Has anyone else fallen into this scenario this past peak season? I’m just looking for other’s stories and/or advice on my current topic. The contract strongly emphasizes “inside” employees when it comes to SSD language, and says absolutely nothing about air drivers being allowed/not allowed to work extra during peak. The local Union is not exactly “supporting” me on this matter.
PT air drivers are assigned to an inside shift here. PM air drivers are assigned to our twilight shift, and AM air drivers are assigned to our Pre load shift. Point being, when there is no air work, they go inside and work for their guarantee. Maybe try and find out what shift you are assigned to since you are PT and argue that you are technically an inside employee who is qualified to air drive? Also, next time they come to you in a ”bind” to run a route, remember what they did to you and help enforce the contract on their dumb asses.

542thruNthru

The company per the contract are allowed to hire SSDs at certain times of the year.

At no time during the year is the company allowed to let air drivers deliver ground packages. This is why you're paid ground because it is a violation of the contract.

So they owe you nothing during peak.

Nah
They’re telling me that we aren’t obligated to anything other than our 3.5 guarantee. I understand we’re air drivers, but the company uses us to run routes throughout the year when they’re in a bind. The contract says that UPS is obligated to utilize every union employee before hiring outside seasonal help.
I don't know what to tell you. The same thing went on in my center when I was an air driver. I got less hours during peak than the rest of the year. Our guarantee was only 3 hours back then, and I made it by sweeping floors and picking up trash around the center. As far as utilizing union employees, they only failed in this regard if they didn't give you the first chance to be a helper or pvd.
Of course @PT Car Washer disagrees. That's how he makes his money disregarding the contract. Pathetic
The contract says he should get paid top rate. And he is. What's wrong with that?

Nah
They are in my building and sounds like a lot of other buildings.
Yep. Stewards even told me before signing an air bid that was one of the benefits. During summertime especially you can make a lot of money doing ground routes. It was literally a selling point for the local union guys and the company.

PT Car Washer

Yep. Stewards even told me before signing an air bid that was one of the benefits. During summertime especially you can make a lot of money doing ground routes. It was literally a selling point for the local union guys and the company.
Right now my building is backed up with packages because of severe weather. PT air drivers working 14 hour days because they have no OT protection.

Nah
Right now my building is backed up with packages because of severe weather. PT air drivers working 14 hour days because they have no OT protection.
I have no idea what the state of my old center is since I don't work there anymore. But they hired a lot of drivers so I'd imagine the air drivers aren't getting that opportunity as much anymore.

But I never said no when it was available. No matter how long of a day it was.

PT Car Washer

I have no idea what the state of my old center is since I don't work there anymore. But they hired a lot of drivers so I'd imagine the air drivers aren't getting that opportunity as much anymore.

But I never said no when it was available. No matter how long of a day it was.
Bring a PT air driver is either feast or famine.