No Work for PT Air Drivers Peak ‘23

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I can personally assure you that majority of these SSD’s were not on preload nor night sort

They’re telling me that we aren’t obligated to anything other than our 3.5 guarantee. I understand we’re air drivers, but the company uses us to run routes throughout the year when they’re in a bind. The contract says that UPS is obligated to utilize every union employee before hiring outside seasonal help.
Ok. First off, you are guaranteed 3.5 hours, BUT, if you look at the next kine under it, it states that if you work 3 hours, you are then guaranteed 4 hours. So ultimately, you are guaranteed 4 hours regardless. The moment you hit your 3rd hour, you are then guaranteed 4, so you make sure your B.A. and center managers are clear on that and that it is enforced or you better grievance it. It's in Art 40. When you read the guaranteed 3.5 hours, don't stop there. Read the very next sentence which states you are guaranteed 4 hours, once you work 3 hours. This has been overlooked by just about every air driver and Union rep I've talked to.

Backlasher

I know this is an older thread but I searched air drivers and it popped up. THIS is the biggest problem with PT Air Drivers, in my opinion. There's no way a part timer should be making that much. That's why it's a PART TIME JOB. If any of the Air Drivers wanted to make that kind of money they should have signed a Full Time Bid. Period.
The value of an hours labor should always hold value, regardless if you're part time or full-time. The only thing that defines wether you are full-time or part time is the amount of hours you work. You either work 40 hours+ a week or you don't. Hours worked is the only thing that separates a full-time position from a part-time position. The value of that hours labor should never be devalued! As far as making a living, yes, I agree that to make a living, the goal should be working 40 hours minimum a week. We should never have entertained the idea to devalue an hour of labor times true value. Honestly, fighting for a greater pay rate per hour and retaining the value of a labor hour should never have been compromised as the higher cost of a part-time job might in fact make it less justified for corporations to use part-timers. The idea in what I'm saying is that higher cost of part-time might help in our battle to force corporations to create more full-time jobs. This idea is why ups gets penalties for using part time air drivers that do full-time work such as ground deliveries earning top rate for the day. Anyone that doesn't understand this, has a ton to reflect on.

Backlasher

Ok. First off, you are guaranteed 3.5 hours, BUT, if you look at the next kine under it, it states that if you work 3 hours, you are then guaranteed 4 hours. So ultimately, you are guaranteed 4 hours regardless. The moment you hit your 3rd hour, you are then guaranteed 4, so you make sure your B.A. and center managers are clear on that and that it is enforced or you better grievance it. It's in Art 40. When you read the guaranteed 3.5 hours, don't stop there. Read the very next sentence which states you are guaranteed 4 hours, once you work 3 hours. This has been overlooked by just about every air driver and Union rep I've talked to.